Let's talk hair!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read something about it on Twitter and went, "Seriously??" Also, lame apology is lame.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
I've been following this thread, but haven't had much to add, and I hadn't heard of Zendaya before this popped up on my homepage this morning, but Zendaya's statement reminded me of the things y'all have been discussing.
The most I know about Zendaya is she sang that one addictive song (Replay).

Her statement is incredibly mature, though. What a woman.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Kuwi,

My hair is thick, wavy, and prone to frizz; however, straightening my hair seems to cut the 'volume' of my hair by half. I haven't found anything other than straightening that will work with the volume issue my hair has. I tried layers, which made me look like the chick from Dilbert. I tried short hair, which made me look like a poodle. I tried thinning, which made a lot of hair fall to the ground but my hair didn't seem to condense at all.

The major problem with straightening hair is that it will damage your hair fast. I wash + condition, blow dry, and straighten my hair once a week. Going a week between washes seems to repair the damage that the blow drying does to my hair. If I'm feeling lazy (which happens often), I keep my hair in braids between washes.

Also, the longer you wait between hair washes, the more protein can buildup on your ends and the healthier your hair will be. I have to shower every day too, so I keep my hair in a bun so it won't get wet. That and I am way too lazy to re-straighten my hair if the water makes it frizz back up.

I'm overdue for a haircut though. Been almost nine months since my last cut and the current length is tedious to straighten -- about two hours.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The most I know about Zendaya is she sang that one addictive song (Replay).

Her statement is incredibly mature, though. What a woman.
This is probably going to sound horrible but the only thing that shocked me about all of this is a news item revealed Zendaya actually has a last name. Even in this "enlightened" day and age, I am not surprised one iota that somebody is making such ignorant and uninformed comments about somebody else's hair.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of got the opposite from those stupid comments about Zendaya's hair. I think the E! woman didn't realize Zendaya was Black and was making a hippy joke. It's really stupid nowadays to assume you know someone's racial background without more info than surface looks, so it's still really dumb.

Meanwhile, after looking at all kinds of pictures of her hair, I found my closest celebrity hair twin yet! That is if hers curls or frizzes with humidity (without a shit-ton of product), but I bet it does seeing her curly and less styled pics. I like her curly best :) I wish I knew what she used to have her curls look so great.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Kuwi, try Moroccan oil. My sister owns a salon, so I get to try a ton of products. I have a lot of hair. I'm blonde, and my hair is extremely thick, but fine, if that makes sense. When I use Moroccan oil after a proper blow dry, it just lays better, and has better movement. Plus it smells really good. I recommend getting the good stuff from a salon though. At least a small bottle or a sample to give it a try.

Do you mean argan oil?

It is useful for a shit-ton of stuff (good in skin products too, AND it's tasty!) and also -- we visited a place where they make it in Morocco. It was like a collective, and women who are widowed etc and would otherwise not be allowed to work (due to cultural restrictions) help produce it and share in the profits, and so can support their families. So you're helping people too! Well, you are if you get it from them anyway....but our understanding* was this is a common way for those otherwise unable to get an income to...get an income

* They spoke French and Arabic, we speak English and, at best, broken French. But with schoolboy verbs and much sign language...

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I kind of got the opposite from those stupid comments about Zendaya's hair. I think the E! woman didn't realize Zendaya was Black and was making a hippy joke. It's really stupid nowadays to assume you know someone's racial background without more info than surface looks, so it's still really dumb.
t.

I think the E! woman is an idiot if she didn't realize Zendaya was Black or possibly Hispanic, even though the second one would be wrong. Im not much darker than Zendaya is and I'm also mixed, and BOTH Obama and Shemar Moor are mixed and way darker than me or Zendaya. If she mistaked her for anything other than POC of some sort then she obviously doesn't know enough POC, especially mixed White-Black ones.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean argan oil?

It is useful for a shit-ton of stuff (good in skin products too, AND it's tasty!) and also -- we visited a place where they make it in Morocco. It was like a collective, and women who are widowed etc and would otherwise not be allowed to work (due to cultural restrictions) help produce it and share in the profits, and so can support their families. So you're helping people too! Well, you are if you get it from them anyway....but our understanding* was this is a common way for those otherwise unable to get an income to...get an income

* They spoke French and Arabic, we speak English and, at best, broken French. But with schoolboy verbs and much sign language...

I just checked my bottle. It says Moroccan oil, but the description on the back says Argan oil, made in Israel. So I guess it's the same thing. I LOVE this stuff. It's oil, but doesn't leave your hair greasy, and smells soooo good. My hair is healthier since I started using it. I use a lot of heat on my hair, so I feel like this helps nourish it a bit.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I just checked my bottle. It says Moroccan oil, but the description on the back says Argan oil, made in Israel. So I guess it's the same thing. I LOVE this stuff. It's oil, but doesn't leave your hair greasy, and smells soooo good. My hair is healthier since I started using it. I use a lot of heat on my hair, so I feel like this helps nourish it a bit.

No it's (I know this sounds weird) a "dry" oil. Fabulous for so many things -- I'm suffering badly with eczema atm and it really helps. It's really good for your skin

PS as an oil, it tastes really nutty. Scrummy on the breakfasts in Morocco. Nom nom. I think that's a different grade of oil though (could be wrong)

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I think the E! woman is an idiot if she didn't realize Zendaya was Black or possibly Hispanic, even though the second one would be wrong. Im not much darker than Zendaya is and I'm also mixed, and BOTH Obama and Shemar Moor are mixed and way darker than me or Zendaya. If she mistaked her for anything other than POC of some sort then she obviously doesn't know enough POC, especially mixed White-Black ones.

I was thinking she might have thought Latina. Zendaya's hair is so straight in so many pictures that I think she didn't realize that was her hair was quite curly really.and that the hairstyle was no kind of an 'alternative' sort of fashion statement.

The patchouli and weed thing makes me think she was making fun of it as being counter-culture. It can't be counter-culture if she knew she was Black, lol :)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I was thinking she might have thought Latina. Zendaya's hair is so straight in so many pictures that I think she didn't realize that was her hair was quite curly really.and that the hairstyle was no kind of an 'alternative' sort of fashion statement.

The patchouli and weed thing makes me think she was making fun of it as being counter-culture. It can't be counter-culture if she knew she was Black, lol :)
She probably thought locs = Rastafarian = weed + patchouli. Because anybody who wears dreadlocks, including white people, are all into de ganja, mon.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Hey. I'm sure this is a stupid question, but it's bugging me. Someone in another thread said something about how not all black women have kinky hair and it's wrong to assume they do.

They don't? Google has failed me. I know there's a lot of variation when it comes to texture, tightness, and volume, but I didn't realize black women could have naturally straight/wavyhair.

EDIT: or does "kinky" refer to a very specific kind of hair?

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey. I'm sure this is a stupid question, but it's bugging me. Someone in another thread said something about how not all black women have kinky hair and it's wrong to assume they do.

They don't? Google has failed me. I know there's a lot of variation when it comes to texture, tightness, and volume, but I didn't realize black women could have naturally straight/wavyhair.

EDIT: or does "kinky" refer to a very specific kind of hair?

Kinky refers to a certain kind of hair, normally extremely tightly curled, waved, or coiled. Think pen spring sized curls, hair that curls individually but doesnt clump together, and really really tight waves that are about 1/10th the size of waves on someone with wavy hair. Sometimes the waves in kinky hair are even tighter. Kinky hair shrinks the most of all hair types.

My hair is kinky-curly, I have a mixture of pencil and pen spring curls. In addition I have some bits of hair that are more the extremely tight waves I described.

As for Black people, because men can have wavey or straight hair too, being able to have straight or wavey hair. Africa is the cradle of humanity, and for tens of thousands of years people have being migrating back to and away from it. The genes for straight hair happens to be slightly more recessive for Africans and the dispora, but it is possible in the way things like blue or green eyes on Black people is. That is to say, rare but not unheard of.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This video does a good job (I think) a good job of discussing cultural appropriation of Black culture, including a discussion of hair.

http://www.makers.com/blog/%E2%80%9Chunger-games%E2%80%9D-star-perfectly-explains-cultural-appropriation

Oh my goodness! She is one smart kid. In the thread we had about cornrows I kept trying to get exactly what she was saying across, but it was like people weren't listening because they refused to understand the difference she was talking about.It is 100% a fashion vs culture thing. When I use Indian herbs and oils in my hair, or I henna it. I'm not doing to be fashionable, I'm doing it because it brings me closer to my maternal grandfather's heritage. Same as if I allow my cousins to style my hair in traditional Khmer styles, or when their grandmother taught us traditional dancing. It's a form of respect and connection, and that IS different than just grabbing a part of a culture and deciding it's cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.