Status
Not open for further replies.

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
Hey guys, I've been submitting this essay for the past year with no luck. Salon.com said it wasn't edgy enough and Marie Claire said it was "too old." Not literary enough for various literary journals. Dead silence from over a dozen magazines. This week xoJane picked it up and I've been really happy dealing with them. Here's the piece:

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/hiv-positive-husband

And here are their writer's guidelines. They publish a ton of content and seem to be actively looking for submissions. I only got paid $50 for my story but as they say, 50 bucks is 50 bucks!

http://www.xojane.com/page/xojane-pitching-guidelines

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
Thanks, you guys!

Hi beckethm, I did a major revision of the novel, based in large part on your feedback (especially about the final chapters), and am now querying again. I've been through so many drafts, so many rejections, but I really love my book now, no matter what comes of it. Thanks again for showing me the light about the ending! :)

Rotes

Crazy Opossum Lady
Registered
Reaction score
That was beautiful.
What a lovely thing.

WhirlyGirly

Registered
Reaction score
That was beautiful, and I can't for the life of me understand why Marie Claire wouldn't jump to publish it. Seems right up their alley. But, yay for XOJane!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Nadja1972, I don't know if you're still active here, but I LOVED LOVED LOVED that essay. It is beautiful. And amazing. Congrats on getting it published. :D

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
Hi Saoirse, wow, thank you! I just happened to check in here and see your lovely comment. Right now my memoir is on submission so hopefully a book-length version of that story will be available at some point. Fingers crossed.

Thanks to you too, Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.