Your Top 10

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
or less, or more, whatever you need. Solo artists or bands that you listen to over and over, from any era or genre, music you wouldn't want to have to do without. You might want to consider output, live or studio, since we all have songs that we love by people who just didn't do that much.

1. Stevie Wonder
2. Frank Sinatra
3. Tony Bennett
4. Miles Davis
5. The Stones
6. Sting
7. Ella Fitzgerald
8. Bob Dylan
9. Billie Holiday
10. Steely Dan

Also, link a tune or more from your picks.

Dan Show Biz Kids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9QVNbUPzgM

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is all very mainstream, cheesey stuff. Trying to think only of what has stuck with me for a long time (mostly):

Bruce Springsteen: Human Touch
Alice Cooper: Might As Well Be on Mars
Billy Idol: Prodigal Blues
Journey: Only Solutions
Alison Krauss: When You Say Nothing At All
Shinedown: Miracle

...and a lot of songs by Def Leppard, early U2, and The Levellers.

Here's the link to Miracle, put to a fan video of the Mass Effect games, the soundtrack to which would also be on my list.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
1. Elvis Costello
2. Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
3. Richard Thompson
4. Muddy Waters
5. John Lee Hooker
6. Howling Wolf
7. Jimi Hendrix
8. Led Zeppelin
9. The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
10 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

And here's a sublime 2.5 minutes of pop from my #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab_IO-SlK5w

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in guys. I like some the people on your lists, too. Some I'm unfamiliar with, but I'll familiarize myself.

Must be Friday. I'm thinking of music and, and, etc. Anything but work.

Might be fun on this thread if we link from our lists. Also, expand your lists any time you want. No rules here, only suggestions.

Another one from Dan that I'm listening to as I post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU_Rx9fEKmA

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
You all can probably detect a trend here...

Boyz II Men
Brian McKnight
Alex To (Chinese)
Utada Hikaru (Japanese)
Heather Headley
Chrisette Michele
Celine Dion
Whitney Houston

Plus some individual songs from certain artists.

Reactions: LaurieDelancey

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on my mood but ten some of my favorites in no particular order:

Blue October
Muse
Mumford and Sons
Dashboard Confessional
The Cure
Foo Fighters
The Killers
Passenger
Jets to Brazil
and .... The Smashing Pumpkins

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I love the Killers. Trying to remember which ones really grabbed me. Help?

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love the Killers. Trying to remember which ones really grabbed me. Help?

Human
Mr. Brightside
All These Things That I Have Done

are a few of their most popular :)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There are a bunch in my top 10 but why not just listen to the greatest singer alive?

Darlene Love.

That's her doing River Deep, Mountain High, (at 70 years old, I believe, btw) which was supposed to be her song, not Tina Turner's, but Phil Spector is an ass. Darlene's version kind of blows Tina Turner's out of the water. ;)

For the uninitiated, Darlene Love is the voice behind a number of old-school, girl group hits like He's a Rebel, Da Do Ron Ron, Today I Met The Boy I'm Going To Marry, and very famous Christmas songs from Phil Spector's Christmas album, like Marshmallow World, Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), and others.

She also played Danny Glover's wife in all three Lethal Weapon movies.

Has a new album out! Is the greatest singer alive.

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, she's great. And Phil is something of an ass, yeah.

Who else do you like?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Heh.

Chris Isaak also hasn't come up yet and is amazing.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Ken. Listening now. Monk was pretty much self-taught, wasn't he?

I like all those guys you added, but I'm such a fan of singers that I tend to listen to them more than the instrumentalists.

Still, I kind of grew up listening to a lot of the jazz guys and I haven't forgotten. Miles, Trane, and Getz are my favorite horn players. And on piano, I really love Kenny Barron, who played with Getz a lot.

A couple from my favorite jazz guy regardless of the instrument, Miles Davis. I think one of the things that made Miles so great was that he refused to stagnate. Never stopped growing. Some of his later stuff, to my ears, got a little noisy, still that's just one man's opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq5CZjJutrc Generique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGx1HvLV_NQ Stella

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
1. The Beatles
2. The Beatles
3. The Beatles

I'll get to the other seven later...

I'm just in a weird place with the Beatles. Maybe I've just heard every song too many times, and even though I think they're probably the greatest pop/rock band of all time, these days I hardly listen to them. Lately, I want to hear their solo stuff, John and Paul especially. But I know I'll get back to them eventually, and every time I do, I wonder what's taken me so long.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just in a weird place with the Beatles. Maybe I've just heard every song too many times, and even though I think they're probably the greatest pop/rock band of all time, these days I hardly listen to them. Lately, I want to hear their solo stuff, John and Paul especially. But I know I'll get back to them eventually, and every time I do, I wonder what's taken me so long.

Many years ago I may have subconsciously stopped listening to things I like and know well, and so when I hear it on the radio it sounds fresh yet again.

But I'm reminded of ... (see after next comment)

If I was told that I could only listen to one artist for the rest of my life it would have to be Stevie Wonder. Writes some of the most gorgeous melodies, plays half the instruments on many of his tunes, and to top it off, sings better than anybody else.

Lately https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJqXpbDAQq0&list=RDxJqXpbDAQq0#t=15
I remember when that Hotter Than July album came out and he played Lately live, just his singing and playing piano, on the Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder (yeah, I'm about the same age as Stevie).

There was a collaboration with Paul Mc(NO! Not THAT song!)Cartney that as far as I remember never got airplay, but it's a high-energy funk number. I think it works well for a lot of reasons, one being that each of these guys had already put out whole albums where they had played every instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B45thgFfko0

And for more general funkiness, I really like this alternate-take in the studio of " Superstition" - be sure to listen through to the jam at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZFf0pm0SE

A couple of others on my list are Stephen Stills, who did a lot of notable things, starting with Buffalo Springfield in which he wrote and sung the anthem of 1968, "For What It's Worth." This newsgroup post describes the writing of that song:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.audio.pro/58VqUC5hwiM/IEVfHwAsIMoJ

Stills also played almost all the instruments on the first Crosby, Stills and Nash album, as well as making much more good music since. His solo albums weren't always strong, but I think he's got a unique and great voice, whether solo or with the other guys. Their harmonies are great, yet I can always easily tell which part Stephen sings.

Then there's Linda Ronstadt. I've thought that I could enjoy hearing her sing the phone book, but didn't particularly like the Nelson Riddle/big band stuff. She still sang a LOT of other songs and styles, though, and all very well.

How many have I got left? Okay, Jimi Hendrix.

Do I have to pick more?