Irish and Scottish Travelers in the 18th century

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Not Gypsies, which were a different ethnic group, but Travelers (Tinkers).

I'm looking for customs, marriage, funeral, and specifically - would it be accepted, prohibited or a gray area if a father traded his daughter for a horse, against her wishes, to a husband? My story is set in 1745. The father and daughter (and the Traveler tribe) are Irish in Ballyshannon (near Donegal). The husband-to-be is a Scottish traveler. It's a magnificent grey stallion, by the way!

Last edited:

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Yup, that was one of many sites I looked into. I've also bought a couple books written by Travelers, and contacted a couple. Haven't gotten an answer yet.

The daughter is told a few hours before the wedding, and she has no chance to escape her father's transaction. She is part of a mass wedding at a festival.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
Jess Smith writes the best books (well I think) about Scottish Travellers most are about her upbringing but she also has some on the tales of the past.

"The Way of the Wanderers" and "Sookin Berries" would probably be the most relevant of the books.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This is a decent book about modern Travellers:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/picturesho...he-irish-travellers-a-nomadic-culture-of-yore

This is a piece that I used to see cited fairly often in a well-respected Irish folklore scholarly journal:

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.23...282673191&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&uid=3739960

There was some speculation in the very late twentieth century that Travellers were the descendants of a splinter group of non-Celtic speaking I.E. folk. I remember a few academic linguists presenting papers in support; that theory seems to have been abandonned.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
For some basic social/political history, I recommend John Prebble's book The Highland Clearances. What was going on in Scotland during this period was anything but pleasant and welcoming to travelers.

caw