SFWA Welcomes Self-Published and Small Press Authors!

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
This is one of those things that may or may not help a lot of people.

The SFWA is supposed to/does exist to help authors with their publishers, and I can't think of anyone who needs more help then small press authors. Just read the Bewares threads about Mus@ and such. SO in that regard- in helping small press authors out, maybe help them with rights and such when/if their Indie publishers goes down in flames, it could be HUGE boon.

On the other hand if the qualifications are something having $3000 worth of sales through a small press (equivalent of a book advance) then I don't know how many small press and self published authors will qualify. My small press book hasn't made $100 dollars yet. So would my book count?

It's all speculation of course. We'll find out in March.

Last edited:

knight_tour

Fantasy Tourist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedacross.blogspot.com
My self-published book is on pace to make that kind of money, but I'm not sure whether or not it's worth it to spend the money to join. I'd love to get more feedback from those who know better.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the past, when I've considered self-publishing, the thought that I wouldn't be eligible to join SFWA always gave me a pang. It's good to know they are opening their doors.

Tracy_Renee_Wolfe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to the forum, so I apologize if I was supposed to start a new thread rather than replying to an old one. Anyways, Are there any SFF guilds out there besides SFWA? I'd love to join one now, but I don't have any sales figures yet since my book was just released. Or, are there any new adult groups out there? I'm thinking new adult is too old for the children's groups that include YA.