Picture books for 12 to 14 years?

jawnn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nhojyesdnil.wordpress.com
Hasn't any one made a book with lots of pictures for YA?

Not graphic novels but a story that is well written and illustrated?

Seems like I saw one that had no words, and later found the words on audio. I forgot the name.

That's what I want to do for an E book, need some examples.

Last edited:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
That seems to be riding the line between Upper MG and Lower YA.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
How would this be different from comic books, manga, and graphic novels? Those tell stories with lots of pictures, so I'm really not sure what you're going for.

Unless you mean a regular novel, written in prose, that just includes pictures every couple of pages?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Unless you mean a regular novel, written in prose, that just includes pictures every couple of pages?

If that's the case and you're looking for prose that's illustrated with pictures now and then, try these:

The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Tales from Outer Suburbia
Leviathan
A Monster Calls
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Coraline
The Graveyard Book
Liesl and Po
Lips Touch Three Times
The Child Thief
Larklight

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there are graphic novels and comics, and then there are also novels that have some illustrations.

An illustrated novel in that age range I can think of was A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. The e-book version, though, omitted many of the illustrations I believe.

It is certainly possible, I think, to have a novel that includes illustrations. But it wouldn't be formatted like a picture book.

~suki

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness is a good example.

Dare I ask what formatting it could be labeled?

It's a middle grade novel. That's what it is called. The illustrations don't change it's classification.

~suki

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Illustrated books for all ages, even adults, were once very common. This stopped because of the added expense. It costs a lot more to publish a book with illustrations, so such books are most often reserved for top-selling writers whose sales can justify the added expense.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Illustrated books for all ages, even adults, were once very common. This stopped because of the added expense. It costs a lot more to publish a book with illustrations, so such books are most often reserved for top-selling writers whose sales can justify the added expense.

While that might be true for the adult market, in the land of childrens and teen publishing, illustrations in novels are becoming somewhat more common. Still not a given, but not quite the scenario you propose. ;)

~suki

jawnn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nhojyesdnil.wordpress.com
I am so glad....this is a good argument for doing what i want to do.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
In children's and teens though, the illustrations are telling part of the story. These are not illustrated novels in the old sense. In those, the illustrations showed the text. In the new ones, the illustrations replace text telling part of the story. This is true for Hugo Cabret and some, maybe all, of the others on the list above.

Last edited:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In children's and teens thogh, the illustrations are telling part of the story. These are not illustrated novels in the old sense. In those, the illustrations showed the text. In the new ones, the illustrations replace text telling pasrt of the story. This is true for Hugo Cabret and some, maybe all, of the others on the list above.

I agree that many illustrated novels use illustrations to tell part of the story, but not all. In A Moster Calls, for example, the illustrations supplement the story but do not replace prose. The prose could stand alone.

~suki

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
Brom always has pictures in his books because he's an artist, but they're for adults. I can't remember if The Looking Glass Wars including illustrations, those are for YA. But yeah, the illustrations were just supplemental.

When you wrote "picture books for 12-14" I immediately thought of the adult picture books like "Go the F to Sleep."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
While that might be true for the adult market, in the land of childrens and teen publishing, illustrations in novels are becoming somewhat more common. Still not a given, but not quite the scenario you propose. ;)

~suki

"Common" doesn't mean new writers get illustrated books in the MG and up range very often at all. They don't.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
"Common" doesn't mean new writers get illustrated books in the MG and up range very often at all. They don't.

Jeff Kinney's first book was Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Tom Angleberger's first book, written under a pseudonym, has photo illustrations and cartoons. I didn't look for other examples because today is too busy. I'm sure it helps that both illustrated as well as being the authors.

Last edited:

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
My first MG book was illustrated. So were my next...erm...all of them. Which is gonna be fourteen total by the end of the year.