Cover of Suzanne Palmer's book Finder

AW Amazon Store

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you abide by the 50 page rule?

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I read until the book ends or I lose the motivation to finished reading it. That can happen on any page.
    ZOMBIE lost & found https://my.w.tt/39V7zgONRU

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin saiko_neko's Avatar
    I always finish the book. Actually, I have to. It's some kind of OCD or smth.

Quote Originally Posted by Arztwolf View Post
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...article565170/

If I didn't I'd go insane. All of my fiction books come from one of three small town libraries in my area and it appears to be hard to find the the little nugget of gold amidst the rocks.
    So, how about you? Do you read til the bitter end or stop once the enjoyment factor is gone?
    I usually read the first chapter before making up my mind if I want to continue. But if it my eyes are crossing, or if I can just tell it's not my kind of story or writing style, I may put it down after a page or two.

But there are plenty of books that just bog me down at some point after the opening pages. Often, abandonment isn't a conscious decision with books I have gotten a ways into. I sometimes lose interest because I start another book that grabs me more, or I'm somehow just not motivated to pick the thing back up for whatever reason, and weeks later, I realize it's still sitting there on my nightstand or on my e-reader.

I was never aware that there was any rule about "having" to give a book at least 50 pages. Who made this rule and what do they do to you if you break it? If the writing, story, world, characters or whatever don't interest me, why would I spend more time on it?

And I nearly always buy books (sometimes I'll download samples first, if such are available) because they're recommended to me, or because they look interesting from the back cover copy and opening pages, or because I "met" the author online via social media, writers forums, or their blog, and they seem cool and interesting. Even so, I'm sometimes disappointed, and the fact that I paid for it doesn't make me want to spend time being bored or annoyed when I could be reading something else.
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 05-25-2015 at 02:55 AM.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

Still confused by shoelaces Once!'s Avatar
    It seems odd to have a 50 page rule. It almost feels as if whoever invented that rule needs permission to put a book down. In effect it is saying that "It's okay to stop reading at page 50 because I've given it this far to impress me."

Why wait to 50? Why not 45 or 30 or 10?

The 50 page rule seems to be a way to assuage some feelings of guilt about not finishing what you started. The karma that we lose for not finishing the book is compensated by the fact that we did at least give it the first 50 pages.

I'm sorry, but I don't need to make excuses for giving up on a book. If it isn't working, then it isn't working and that realisation can come on page 1 or page 301. Life is too short to drink bad wine, watch rubbish TV or read books you aren't enjoying.

If a 50 page rule helps to give someone courage to stop reading a book, then fine. I don't think I need that sort of courage.

Differently Actual Bookdragonette's Avatar
    When I was in school we weren't allowed to jilt books unless we had read X amount of pages. I've forgotten what the amount was. 20, I think. It wasn't bad advice, when dealing with 10-year-olds who might not have the best attention-spans. This was ages ago, so I'm sure I'm misremembering things.

Nowadays I try to finish every book I start. I've never quite got over the feeling that you should finish what you started. A book has to be really bad or bland - as in, I don't think about the book inbetween readings - for me to put it down. Really, the thinking about the book inbetween readings is the litmus-test.
    'De macht van de fantasie: ik geloof mijn eigen dagboek niet eens.' Loesje

Blog - Twitter - NaNoWriMo - Librarything

little orphan anarchist Raventongue's Avatar
    I WILL NOT finish a book if I'm not interested early on. It doesn't have to be the first line- I've got SOME patience- but it's a hell of a lot less than 50 pages, often less than 10. Life is short, and the portion I get to spend on reading is shorter. To hell with wasting that on books I don't love.
    Tribal Prophet Bird!
    ~~~
    Current WIP set (weird futuristic literary military scifi): Farewell Etcetera, Space Witches, Complicity, Star Soldier. Ideas waiting to be worked on: 7.

NaNo & Camp NaNo username: Cobalt Cyborg.....

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    So in my head, I start off thinking, Yep, I'm going to read to page 50 and if it gets too boring, I'll stop. Because, you know, there are millions of books out there that i can actually enjoy reading so I shouldn't waste my time on stuff I don't.

Unfortunetly, this is rarely the case. I generally read books to the bitter end or, if it gets way too boring, then I'll think I'll get back at it later, but never end up actually doing so >.<

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy C View Post
    Usually if a book hasn't grabbed me by 50 pages, I'll flip to the middle and read a chapter to see if it's just a slow starter. If I'm grabbed in the middle, I'll go back and slog through the opening. Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix was like that for me. It didn't really grab me until about page 120, but then it really took off.
    speaking of harry potter......
    back when the midwest had that big ol blackout.... i borrowed my cousins book. it was the first one as it was the only one out then. page one, first sentence, i read it to myself. and for some reason i just really couldn't get to the second sentence. so i figured to have Mum read some for me. she read the second sentence...and that's when my brain was like, "NOPE!" and before i could stop myself, my legs carried me out of the room away from the book. LOL

Zombie thread, guys.
    Now available on Amazon!

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

practical experience, FTW
    I'll start by explaining that I have no problem setting a book down immediately due to unfortunate implications, anything that sets off my PTSD, or any other reason I would need to nope out. As far as the rule--I do try to abide by it because I set a -lot- of books in the "return to library" pile without having finished. I get bored, or the summary is cooler than the actual book, or the first kiss happens within the first thirty pages. It could be anything, really. Life is too short for boring or upsetting books.
    And there are times where I briefly debate setting the book aside, but keep reading. If nothing else, I wind up writing some funny and scathing Goodreads reviews.

practical experience, FTW Cobalt Jade's Avatar
    Since becoming a writer, the fiction I read feels like homework, in a way, because as I read I analyze and critique. I want to see how the author handles certain things and what works or doesn't work. To see the full picture of that, I feel I need to make it all the way to the end if it's a book I've chosen for its notoriety and word-of-mouth.

That said, I stop when reading becomes torture. I stopped Twilight and skimmed for the last fifth. I'm stopping The Cold Commands now at 3/4 because I just can't take any more. Life is too short!
    Cobalt Jade ~ Horror ~ Erotica ~ SFF

Twitter | Tumblr | Facebook | Pinterest | LibraryThing | Website

Learning to read more, post less RookieWriter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arztwolf View Post
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...article565170/

If I didn't I'd go insane. All of my fiction books come from one of three small town libraries in my area and it appears to be hard to find the the little nugget of gold amidst the rocks.
    So, how about you? Do you read til the bitter end or stop once the enjoyment factor is gone?
    No, I don't have a specific page number or rule that I enforce. I just read it and see how it goes. If after a while I decide it's not working for me I either give it up for put it away to read at a later time. Sometimes I like a story but am just not in the mood for it.
    Mr. Miyagi quotes:

"Never put passion before principle. Even if you win, you lose."

"Answer only important when ask right question."

"Remember that true strength come from inside."

"Lie only become truth if someone want to believe it."

"Whole life have a balance. Everything be better."

figuring it all out
    I'm really picky and easily distracted, so I'm more likely to stop on page twenty. If I've hit fifty... that book's probably getting finished.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123