Cutesie-wootsie, overused, and/or trendy expressions you'll probably gonna still end up using anyway

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
As a follow up to the previous thread on this, I figured maybe we can have a thread about confessions of sorts. That is, using sort of new phrases and words that you may say you hate and may think you hate and know that fellow writing fans say they hate but are probably gonna use anyway. So an annoying word confessional booth. I can go first. I'll put forth an effort not to overuse the following words but am probably gonna end up using them regularly so you can start sending the lynch mobs after me now.

Owned , as in Just got owned, pwned, so on. Also phrases like ownage.

No, Just no or I just can't or, yes, I can't even.

Haters gonna hate variations - for example the phrase Florida gonna Florida when talking about something awful that happens there, hell, may as well add the word haters too.

Come at be bro.

Variations of the word suck - suckage, suckiness and so on.

Last edited:

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
'lol'
When typing in IM services anyway. The usual indignant response is "Well, you wouldn't say 'lol' in a real conversation would you?".
No, of course I wouldn't you blithering buffoon. What I would do is laugh. Out loud. Thus signalling my amusement. But when it's IM, whomever I am talking to can't hear me laughing, can they, so they require a different signal.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
"It is what it is."

Which is both a stupid and insightful phrase, depending on context.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
My step mother is in her sixties and has recently been using the phrase "way cool" incessantly. I can't help wondering where she picked that up.

Maybe I should try to implant something new in her subconscious. Hey, stepmother, check out that window display. It's da bomb!

Seven-Deuce

Registered
Reaction score
"Epic."

It's not epic. Beowulf is epic. The Pacific Ocean is epic. 2001 is epic. That dude's skateboarding fail, funny though it may be, is not in any way epic.

K.P. Iris

Just call me Iris.
Registered
Reaction score
"Feels"

Just a lazy way of circumventing "feelings" and its extra syllables.

"I'm having so many feelings right now."
"So many feels!"

Sometimes I'll just say it when I'm not quite sure what emotion I'm experiencing.

"...feels."

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
My step mother is in her sixties and has recently been using the phrase "way cool" incessantly. I can't help wondering where she picked that up.

Maybe I should try to implant something new in her subconscious. Hey, stepmother, check out that window display. It's da bomb!

:ROFL:

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I second, "come at me bro." Also:

Cool story, bro
For sure (or its spastic sister, forsureforsureforsureforsure)
legit

These also happen to be my three most used phrases :D

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
"Epic."

It's not epic. Beowulf is epic. The Pacific Ocean is epic. 2001 is epic. That dude's skateboarding fail, funny though it may be, is not in any way epic.

I heart this.

That's one of mine - I 'heart' anything. You like it, you love it, you adore it, it inspires you, but you don't heart it.

Another word that is WAY overused. I used it myself far too often, and have been literally working for years to remove it from my vocabulary.

That word is: "Awesome."

It is a good word - when speaking of something deserving of true awe. A brilliant sunset. A tsunami. Landing men on Mars.

However, your meatball sub is not awesome. It might be tasty, but it is not awesome.