The Girl Stuff Thread

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
That reminds me - there's a sappy love song going around on radio, let me google it ... ok, it's called "Thinking Out Loud" and apparently it's popular now at weddings - the refrain says

"And, darling, I will be loving you 'til we're 70"

And I hate that song, because - what happens when they're 71? Huh? Huh? He doesn't love her anymore, just like that? :rant:

I hate that song.

I've always wondered what Paul McCartney thinks of "When I'm 64" now? :ROFL:

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
You push in on the knob and then turn it?

Heck, I've had electric stoves for so long, I might even have trouble.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
My mother decided she wanted red hair. She was in the nursing home, no chance she'd ever get out of there alive. I told my brother if she wants red hair, she should get red hair. (I was set to buy her some new clothes. Knew I'd better wait to see what color of red she'd pick.) She chose an auburn shade. It took a while to get used to seeing her with that color. I'm so glad we were able to make that happen.

Not a lot of 'fun, exciting' things that can be done when confined to a wheelchair in a nursing home.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
My mother decided she wanted red hair. She was in the nursing home, no chance she'd ever get out of there alive. I told my brother if she wants red hair, she should get red hair. (I was set to buy her some new clothes. Knew I'd better wait to see what color of red she'd pick.) She chose an auburn shade. It took a while to get used to seeing her with that color. I'm so glad we were able to make that happen.

Awesome! :)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Ugghh, catcalling is the worst. It relies entirely on intimidation, and on the victim of catcalling being alone and unable to respond, and on the risk of a violent reaction if the victim doesn't oblige (eg catcalls of "Smile, love!" or requests for a number). It's threatening, never complimentary.

It's very uncommon around here, where even the cities are too rural and the young ladies are encouraged to have a somewhat loud and aggressive attitude, but when it does happen it scares the shit out of me. Ideally I'd shout back... but when I'm travelling solo, lately I can't shake the constant wary fear that it only takes one arsehole with a knife.

He wasn't joking. It's just something we do in our family (I think it started with my granny who would whistle and have all us kids running in from all directions). I don't think it occurred to him that, given the setting, he could be mistaken for a stereotypical harassing construction worker.
And to dinghey someone just means to ignore them. I think it must be a Scottish thing.

This is delighting me because around my neck of the woods (Highland/Morayshire) I hear "pied" a lot. "Are you pieing me?" / "She pied me" etc. Haven't heard "dinghied" in too long, it's making me all nostalgic.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I ran in just a sports bra for the first time today!
The locals were wondering why you didn't also wear shorts and shoes. (Sorry, I cannot resist a good straightline.)
Well I used the gas stove in my new apartment for the first time without blowing myself. So yay?
One thing I regret about buying this house is having to go back to an electric stove after using gas. Gas is so much better. It's more controllable, the heat is instant, and you can slip the skin off a pepper you char over the flame or heat a tortilla properly. Once you're fully used to it, I bet you'll come to prefer it.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I regret about buying this house is having to go back to an electric stove after using gas. Gas is so much better. It's more controllable, the heat is instant, and you can slip the skin off a pepper you char over the flame or heat a tortilla properly. Once you're fully used to it, I bet you'll come to prefer it.

It seemed like the water took longer to boil, but that may have been because I was watching it.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So there was a switch on my oven and I didn't know what it did.

So I flipped it.

And nothing happened. So I flipped it again. Then I couldn't remember which position it was on, and it didn't have an obvious on/off position.

So I started panicking, worrying whether I was going to blow something up.

Then I figured out it was the oven lamp.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
So there was a switch on my oven and I didn't know what it did.

So I flipped it.

And nothing happened. So I flipped it again. Then I couldn't remember which position it was on, and it didn't have an obvious on/off position.

So I started panicking, worrying whether I was going to blow something up.

Then I figured out it was the oven lamp.

:roll:

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
This is delighting me because around my neck of the woods (Highland/Morayshire) I hear "pied" a lot. "Are you pieing me?" / "She pied me" etc. Haven't heard "dinghied" in too long, it's making me all nostalgic.
It's a very satisfying word. I've never heard "pied" before but I might be working in the Highlands soon so you never know. I might need to swap my dinghies for pies.

I tried to roast marshmallows over ours but they kept catching fire.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too close, then. We roasted marshmallows on ours, back in the day.

Kuwi, a suggestion? Your shelves are cute and functional (and I like the two shapes of mirrors behind them), but the board length for holding a heavy load (like books) is a little long. The span for particle board with veneer, which I think is what I'm seeing, is only 24 inches between supports under a heavy load. (See this.) If I were you, I'd seek an additional support for that top shelf for sure, and maybe the middle shelf, too, before the boards sag, which my experience says they will. The easiest support is to stack books you don't use often until they meet the underside of the shelf above in a fairly tight fit. Alternative: Cut slices of board to fit the space vertically and shelve them as if they were books. You can even wrap them in cloth or paper so they blend in.

Maryn, veteran of many impromptu bookshelves

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So my hair stylist gave me her number. Is that typical?

(Also she invited me to the world's largest lesbian wedding. I feel like I chose the right salon.)

Last edited:

LACarrington

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lannecarrington.com
Aside from making progress on my new WIP, the last couple days have sucked eggs. Not only was I diagnosed with plantar fasciitis yesterday (with heel spurs turning up in the x-rays to boot) after dealing with agonizing heel pain for a while, but also received word today from one of my nieces that my oldest brother passed away at only 68 years old.

I hadn’t seen him since our mother’s funeral in 1994, but that doesn’t change the fact he was flesh and blood. My niece said he was going through kidney failure and needed dialysis, but didn’t want to go. As a result, he built up fluid and went to the hospital Friday and passed away yesterday.

Stubbornness DOES NOT pay off in cases like this. I wish he'd gone to dialysis, but suppose he had his reasons not to. One may never know the whole story.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hate to malign a whole gender, but what is it about men refusing to see the doctor, and sometimes refusing treatment that can make such a huge difference?

When Mr. Maryn was diagnosed with leukemia, it was only because I'd nagged and nagged and nagged and then nagged some more to get him to see a doctor. She told him to go straight to the ER, but no-o-o, he went back to work for this important meeting. Anyway, having cancer seems to have cured him of not wanting to seek and follow medical advice.

I imagine your brother had reasons to refuse treatment that seemed valid to him, and that the rest of the family may never know how he reached that decision. I'm sorry for the loss you're facing.

Maryn

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I should probably be more careful about walking around my apartment topless with the windows open huh. Or at least wait until there isn't a little league game across the street.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I should probably be more careful about walking around my apartment topless with the windows open huh. Or at least wait until there isn't a little league game across the street.

Bahahaha.

I have a big window in my bathroom that is 'frosted', so I assumed no one could see me inside as I walked around naked (getting in and out of the shower, etc). Then our neighbor happens to stop my husband and mention that the frosted window does NOTHING to disguise the female body, especially when I shower at night (it's dark outside but light inside my bathroom...). So yeah. I guess the neighbors have been getting an eye full. This might be okay if I were super sexy and proud of my body. I'd be like, "take a picture, boys!" But as I am NOT, it's quite embarrassing. Yeah, I just body shamed myself. Sh**t happens.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
I had a frosted window in the last house I lived in. Because I didn't trust it for this exact reason, I cut up a cheap shower curtain and hung it on a rod in front of that window!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I have a frosted window in my bathroom, but it's way too small to show my figure to anyone.

Maybe a nipple if I opened it.