The Girl Stuff Thread

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now I lost track of who asked about cuticles. They respond really well to moisturizers and lotions, but the deal is you have to reapply every time it gets washed off, which is a PIA. We have lotion in the kitchen and bathrooms, but who wants to put on lotion when you're using the facilities every 20 minutes because you enjoy coffee or beer? I've been underwhelmed with most cuticle products. Right now I have a Burt's Bees lemon cuticle cream next to my favorite spot for TV, so I put it on in the evening. I'm not crazy about it (kind of waxy, but what do you expect from a bee-based company?), but I paid for it and might as well use it. Sally Hansen makes a cuticle cream I like, but I'm out and can't find it again. Vaseline works, but it sinks in slowly and is really useful only if you're not going to use your hands for a while.

On to Miss Strawberrii's list. God, yes. I don't share all these issues, but enough of them.

1] Leg/armpit/facial hair that starts growing back within 24 hours
Not one I have. I'm sure others will chime in if they've found the magic potion. Our daughter used to buy an Aveeno lotion billed as shave-less-often which she said actually helped, so of course they stopped making it.
2] Acne on face, chest, arms, and/or back after the age of 25
Yeah, I am still fighting my skin, in amongst the wrinkles. Our younger daughter had bad back and chest acne at one point and managed to beat it. Here's how: Clean sheets at least once a week, washed in hot water. Twice a week is better. Clean towels, same. Shower once a day, soaping affected area gently but thoroughly with Neutrogena soap formulated for acne. A back brush with fairly soft bristles to help reach the middle. No hard scrubbing! Second quick shower soon after any serious sweat-producing activity, using any antibacterial soap. Scrupulously clean shirts. No second wearings, and change it if you sweated in it. If the shirt can take it, hot or at least warm water laundering. If you’ve got long hair, keep it very clean, pulled back so it covers only a part of the back when not in public. In heat, a braid. Overnight, a braid. Short periods of exposure to sun, not enough to show a tan line. (15 minutes a couple times a week helped a lot.) She went from Eeew to perfectly clear on the back. And because I couldn't keep up with her laundry demands, she started doing her own.
3] Hair so thin that when pulled back into a ponytail, you have "bald" spots (I'm only 27 ;_
(Copied from WebMD, where my doctor encourages his patients to look stuff up.) Minoxidil (Rogaine, Ronoxidil) can stop hairs from getting thinner. It also can help some women regrow hair on the top of their head, says Paradi Mirmirani, MD. She's a dermatologist with the Permanente Medical Group in Vallejo, Calif.. “Very good studies show that it’s effective and gets the hair root or follicle to become larger.”
Minoxidil is considered safe for most women, and you can buy it without a prescription. It's the only hair loss treatment for women approved by the FDA. You put it on your scalp two times each day. A 3-month supply is about $50. (Me again:) Apparently it works for about half the women who try it. The others saw little or no improvement.
4] Wear glasses meaning you have to lean in SUPER DUPER CLOSE to a mirror to see what you're doing to yourself
I received a lighted 5-power magnification mirror as a gift and wow. I can see to put on my eyeliner--plus every pore, spider vein, and mustache hair shows sharp and crisp. It lets me put on makeup without screwing up, and I know that the flaws it makes so obvious don't show to people without their own magnifying glasses.

Maryn, not really a beauty expert at all, which you'd know if you saw her

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@Maryn, I have thin peeling fingernails too, which seem to get better and worse. Right now they're worse so I was just thinking about two different things I've tried in the past that seemed to make them stronger. One was gelatin tablets (3 tablets, 3 times per day), and the other was protein powder (whey). I wouldn't have thought supplements would help unless you had a nutritional deficiency in the first place. I doubt I had or have a nutritional deficiency though, so I don't really get it but that's my experience.

I've never bought shaving cream and usually get the cheapest big pack of disposable razors, usually men's unless I see some pretty colors and can't control myself ha. I shave every day in the tub and so used to it I don't even think about it anymore.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@Miss Strawberrii, here's my two coppers, fwiw:

1) I just shave whatever needs to be shaved in the tub every day. For facial hair, if your skin can tolerate it you might want to try a pumice stone instead of a razor (like the kind for foot callouses) because then you don't get that obvious sharp, same length regrowth the next day that makes it look worse.

2) Acne- I don't have it but I use (prescription) generic Retin-A (tretinoin) daily for thin skin and wrinkles. It's supposed to be even better for acne and used to be prescription so it's been through those rigorous trials that prove it works. It will make you look awful for a couple of weeks but then it's magic, imo. It's a bit pricey though, even though I get it through a Canadian mail order pharmacy which is cheaper. If it's for acne and you have health insurance, I think the insurance covers it, though.

3) For thinning hair, I use generic (non-prescription as Maryn said) minoxidil every night. It definitely works on me. It takes a few months before you notice a difference though, and if you get lazy or poor and quit for a few months you have to start all over again. Ha, I go to bed slathered in chemicals, not sure how attractive that is. Anyway, coloring your hair lighter is good because then it blends with your scalp better and makes the thinning areas less obvious. Also, cutting your hair shorter makes the thinning less noticeable. Or, you might get a pull-through wig. It clips on, and you pull your own hair through so it blends with the wig hair. I think they're only for short hair, though: http://www.wowwigs.com/addition-plus-jon-renau.html

4) A magnifying mirror helps with the vision.

Fake eyelashes definitely have a learning curve. If you keep trying, I'm sure you'll get it, though. There are a lot of videos on YouTube that show you how to do it, too.

Also, I am far from a medical expert but the combination of problems are some of the symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome. Just a thought, if you want to look it up.

In-between sizes are so annoying but hey, if your size 18's don't fit anymore, woo hoo! I like leggings because I think they look better than sweatpants but then you have to find long tops which is another pain, although I found some cute ones in the maternity section lol.

Gee, giving advice is much more fun than working on all my own stuff. :)

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Thank you both for the advice! I'll talk to my boyfriend about it (who has the money). Of course, if I get this job, then I'll treat myself!

@Fruitbat

I looked up Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and it's like I fit the bill. o.o Unfortunately I have no doctor or insurance, so I can't check it out at all. This state doesn't even offer free insurance. ><

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
As an adult I always managed to have mostly clear skin, even without making much of an effort to wash it and stuff, but for some reason last fall, at 27, I abruptly had all kinds of clogged pores on my face. So the last six months have been a battle of attribution, on a skincare budget of just over 0 dollars. I've been using a gentle Garnier cleanser (that was on sale for $2 for whatever reason) almost every day, but the main successes have been the old-fashioned ones. I've started steaming my pores once a week (boil water, then set it on table, put face over pot with towel over head, and let the steam go over your face for 10 minutes), following with a face mask of either plain honey or a baking soda paste (baking soda + water) for another 15. Once or twice a week I exfoliate with sugar.

It's worked a charm. My skin is getting back to its usual nice self, I've barely spent anything, and I actually rather enjoy taking the time for the steam-and-mask thing. I regularly do my hair in pin curls, too, and yesterday was sitting there with my hair all bobby pinned and baking soda all over my face feeling like a proper great-grandmother, haha.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn - I'm the one with the cuticles. I guess I was hoping you'd give me a magic answer. LOL I just have to become diligent with applying oil or whatever. I wonder if Vitamin E oil helps? Maybe I'll google that. But like you said - when you go to the bathroom every hour at least because of all the water/coffee/wine you drink...it can be frustrating.

My nails grow very well thanks to the biotin I take and, I think, all the protein I eat. I lift weights, heavy weights (I have a trainer who takes me through phases for body recomp - not bulking, but the good stuff), so I try to eat a ton of protein. I think that helps too.

I haven't had an acne problem ever, knock on wood. But the shaving thing - I shave more often in summer, but my biggest issue is the bikini line. I like to shave EVERYthing if you get my drift, and in the winter, it's fine. I can do it twice a week or so. But shaving my bikini line totally leaves bumps which is a huge issue during the summer, especially those 2 weeks at the beach where I spend most of my time in a bikini.

flapper - I'm going to have to try the baking soda paste and steaming. Just because it sounds nice. :)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...but then you have to find long tops which is another pain, although I found some cute ones in the maternity section :)

LOL - I'm glad I'm not the only one who will buy a cute top from the "Maternity Dept." on occasion.;)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
4] Wear glasses meaning you have to lean in SUPER DUPER CLOSE to a mirror to see what you're doing to yourself

Oooh, skincare advice! I can babble on about this. Just let me ramble on a bit first so innocents browsing the new activity stream don't read about my eyebrow plucking.... okay, we're good!

I keep my glasses on unless I absolutely have to take them off (plucking eyebrows is about it, I don't put makeup on my nose bridge). Helps a bit with this.

2] Acne on face, chest, arms, and/or back after the age of 25

I had a wee mental breakdown on this forum last year about being almost 23 and still having ridiculous acne. It was bad times, but I'm doing much better now. Here's what helped me:

-- I did some dietary changes to try and rule out common allergens. Cutting out lactose ended up helping me a LOT, even though I fought it for ages because I love milky tea. Now I have oat milk in my tea and life is good.

-- Drinking a ton more water.

-- Getting my hair cut short. (Not an option for everyone, I know!)

-- Exercising a bit more. Not sure this had a huge affect on my skin but it affected my confidence in general.

-- THE BIG ONE: sorting out my skincare routine. This gave me the biggest improvement, hands down. I binned almost all my cosmetics, and started a very strict skincare routine:

AM: Wash face with water, nothing else. Moisturize with Cerave big moisturiser tub.
At work: Very minimal make-up. I use a light mouse foundation that's always been kind to my skin, and a concealer stick if needed to hide select spots. On weekends and holidays, I wear no make-up and my skin loves me for it.
After work: Cleanse face with a gentle cleanser. (I like Boots foaming cleanser.)
PM: Wipe face with a Stridex Sayllic acid exfoliant pad (red box). Wait at least fifteen minutes. Moisturize with Cerave.

Three skincare products, two facial makeup products. Nothing more.

Throw out skincare products that don't agree with your skin, no matter how expensive. And if you have St Ives apricot scrub, BURN IT, IT'S THE DEVIL.

The Cleanser/Exfoliant/Moisturizer trinity works well for more people with skin conditions, though you'll need to pick products to match your skin type. SkincareAddiction's FAQ has some really great advice and solid product recs for different skin types and different parts of the world.

I'm trying to lose weight, which is hard! I bike-ride with my bf nowadays, since we bought bicycles not that long ago. And I walk a lot. I also buy concealer loads to try and cover my acne. :( I wear t-shirts only, because anything cuter reveals my chest which has acne as well. o.o

Walking's not much use for losing weight, in my experience -- I walked like a madwoman all last year but saw no change. :( Running, cycling, and swimming or aquarobics have had much better results for me, but simply cutting calories has actually been the most effective. I use the TDEE calculator (select options for sedentary lifestyle to get a baseline calorie count) and MyFitnessPal, and just try to eat healthier in general.

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I had a wee mental breakdown on this forum last year about being almost 23 and still having ridiculous acne. It was bad times, but I'm doing much better now. Here's what helped me:

-- I did some dietary changes to try and rule out common allergens. Cutting out lactose ended up helping me a LOT, even though I fought it for ages because I love milky tea. Now I have oat milk in my tea and life is good.

My dermatologist says that dairy is definitely an acne trigger for many people. I've fought acne pretty much all my life, but my current dermatologist was the only one I saw who addressed the role of diet. After battling cystic acne for years in my 40s (that's not a typo), I went vegan at my current dermatologist's suggestion and my skin has never been better. Whenever I eat dairy, meat, or eggs, my skin flares up again and I spend a week doing damage control. Staying vegan is a challenge, but it beats cortisone shots in my nose.

Bonus: I'm even losing weight!

Last edited:

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I hope I get this job so I can buy the skincare products that I NEED. And not just have a bunch. And so I get more form-fitting clothes. I always look like a marshmallow. I need a push-up bra too. It'll make me feel better. :3

I miss running, but I can't do it anymore unless my chest shrinks. XD I want to go swimming, but there isn't anywhere to swim apparently. Well there is, but a certain person doesn't want to pay for it. It makes sense! 12 USD per person to use a gym's swimming pool for a day? No way. The lake, though. What's wrong with that?

Swimming is a good exercise activity. I can't swim well at all, but I feel so weightless unlike when I'm on land. I like to dance around and move a lot. XD

The biggest problem I have when it comes to food and diets, are vegetables. It's so odd, but I have the most sensitive nose and taste buds ever, I swear. It's like if it really SMELLS, I can't get near it without wanting to vomit. It's like I'm tasting what I smell. Of course, if I eat something, especially vegetables or foods with certain textures (onion/pickle) I can't stand it and have to spit it out, or I'll start to gag.

I don't get it. I wish it was because of my short tongue from when it was clipped as a baby. XD Or even something silly like the fact that a baby-sitter used to shove veggies down our throats as kids -- you know, where if you put your finger further back enough in your mouth you can throw up. Like that! :(

Ugh.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
St. Ives apricot scrub is probably like the original one whose brand name escapes me. Apres? Apree? Way too harsh for faces, but I liked it on feet, knees, and elbows. When the kids were in diapers I got brown-grey knees and the tops of my feet from kneeling so often on changes (we used the floor, with a washable pad for the baby), and that scrub really helped me get rid of the dead skin.

Last summer I made a sugar scrub The Kid (our older daughter) likes for legs, but it nearly killed me. It made the tub extremely slippery and if we didn't have a grab bar I'd have gone down rather than wrenching one shoulder. Yikes!

Maryn, who typically wears makeup only a couple times a week these days

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! I can't believe I forgot to mention it. I made my own lotion. I really love it, but I can only use it at night before bed because it's a bit oily. It does wash out, but if you put it on before dressing for the day, the oil will remain on your clothes until you wash them.

1c raw shea butter
1/2 c raw coconut oil
1/3 c almond oil
1/2 t vitamin E oil
essential oil (I used peppermint) about 20 drops or to your liking

Basically, you throw everything into a blender (I used my Kitchenaid). Make sure you pack the ingredients down when measuring. I've only made it once, and I actually kept adding shea and coconut oil until it reached the consistency I liked. It will be fluffy and creamy, and it feels amazing! I keep meaning to make more because I'm out. It made enough to just about fill 4 jam jars (minus the jam). The 12 oz jars.

I am making more this weekend, darnit!

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the smell of the shea butter which is kind of like...like a not so great aftertaste. It's not awful, though, and the peppermint is nice, and my husband liked it. I may try orange next time.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to see about permanent cosmetics tomorrow. Anyone have them?

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to see about permanent cosmetics tomorrow. Anyone have them?
No, but I've always been curious about them too. I go thru a ton of lipstick and foundation, but if it's like getting a tattoo, I'll pass. :gone:

Come back and give us a full report, ok?

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've always been curious about permanent cosmetics. I wonder how someone could benefit from it?
1. Save a ton of $$$$ by never having to buy makeup ever again
2. Ability to wake up looking gorgeous every morning
3. Saves time when getting dressed and ready to go out
4. Enables one to make people think that they're "just naturally beautiful"
5. Never have to worry about mascara or eyeliner running or getting smeared
6. No fear of foundation "sliding off the face" in the heat and humidity - Or getting on others' clothes
7. Never having to choose/decide which shade of lipstick to wear again
8. Never have to "fill-in" eyebrows with pencil again

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Ms. Laverne, I will return!

Miss Strawberry, the main reason I want it is really because of aging. The eyebrows are thinner and gone at the ends, the eyelashes are more sparse (eyeliner makes them look fuller), and the lips thin a bit, too. They can do the lip liner just outside the natural lip line and make them look fuller. Well, I don't really need the lips so not sure if I'll get that one. So, just a lil all around spiffing up that will be there all the time!

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But first, I'm going to look through her portfolio. From looking around online, it's clear that all permanent cosmetic do-ers are not equally skilled. o_O

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hear ya.

You don't wanna leave her joint looking like The Joker. :greenie

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just got back from getting permanent eyeliner. The next appointment is eyebrows, then lips.

Miss Strawberri, I never really had acne, but I hear the sun is really good at getting rid of it. Is it?

Last edited:

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Did you do the top lid or bottom...or both? Did it hurt??

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you do the top lid or bottom...or both? Did it hurt??

The top lid and half of the bottom (the outer half). It was okay but I had leftover prescription pain pills and anxiety pills so I got more than their usual numbing cream. I took before and after pics but having a hard time getting them downloaded.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just got back from getting permanent eyeliner. The next appointment is eyebrows, then lips.

Miss Strawberri, I never really had acne, but I hear the sun is really good at getting rid of it. Is it?

I wouldn't know, since I'm terrible at going outside. Especially during the summer. When it's 90 some degrees, I feel like death. Like I'm melting. I need the cold back. :(