The Girl Stuff Thread

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I will have to break down soon and learn to sew since it's so hard to find anything I want at stores, even though it seems to me my style is pretty simple.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I wish I could find skorts that look like a skirt in the front but shorts in the back, we used to call them "scooter skirts." In other words, an excuse to show off my legs and dress up the everyday without feeling like I'm getting that "desperate" look of post-fifty and wearing a mini-skirt.

mini-skirts are not and never were my style, except for the running skirts, which I think are adorable. I'm not ashamed of my legs; it's just not my style.

I have a ton of summer sun dresses and casual summer skirts that hit anywhere from the knee to a couple of inches above the knee (which I don't consider mini). That dresses up the every day, IMO, and they're comfortable.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I like to wear simple clothes in neutral, solid colors. They are just a backdrop for my collection of pearls, after all. :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Kuwi, I imagine you have pretty good fashion sense anyway, from your earlier interest in nice men's clothes.

I don't know what's supposed to work but I know what I like.

Except, y'know, I have to try to hold back the part of me that thinks I'm 15.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'd love to get into men's fashion too.

I love the menswear look.

I don't do an entire outfit in men's clothes (would never find it to fit, for one thing -- especially the pants. I have a very girly butt and hips. I've borrowed stuff from boyfriends, but never the pants.). But I mix in a piece or two now and then. I frequently wear a man's hat. I also think a man's jacket or shirt and sometimes a tie can look pretty great.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
mini-skirts are not and never were my style, except for the running skirts, which I think are adorable. I'm not ashamed of my legs; it's just not my style.

I always hated my legs until I realized I could shave them.

I have a ton of summer sun dresses and casual summer skirts that hit anywhere from the knee to a couple of inches above the knee (which I don't consider mini). That dresses up the every day, IMO, and they're comfortable.

I can't wait for sun dresses and casual skirts.

I loved picking out dresses for my ex. I wish I still had them...

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm missing a couple of sweaters I used to borrow from my last boyfriend. Also his shirts. They looked better on me than they did on him. Even he thought so.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Most of my work clothes are just slacks and polos and v-neck sweaters for the polos... uh... I guess I'm just trying to look like I work in the IT department. It's nice not to think and it's doubly nice when people do not assume otherwise.

I'd like to look more butch but I don't know if this is possible or if this is even the right place to look for that.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I love the menswear look.

I don't do an entire outfit in men's clothes (would never find it to fit, for one thing -- especially the pants. I have a very girly butt and hips. I've borrowed stuff from boyfriends, but never the pants.). But I mix in a piece or two now and then. I frequently wear a man's hat. I also think a man's jacket or shirt and sometimes a tie can look pretty great.

Part of me can't wait to do this, too.

I don't want to right now, because, well, I mean, I'd just look like a man.

Now that I think about it, when I was into men's fashion, the only fashion pictures I actually saved were of women in men's clothing.

Actually now I'm wondering how some of my men's jackets would look with girl jeans and a cute hat...

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Actually now I'm wondering how some of my men's jackets would look with girl jeans and a cute hat...

Awesome. That's how they'll look.

ETA:

I really like to mix something girly with an overall masculine look, or something masculine with an overall girly look.

e.g. -- a masculine jacket with a lace-trimmed camisole and pearl pendant.

A feminine dress with a masculine jacket or hat.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds adorable, Cass.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Add a pendant or earrings, and perhaps some red lipstick, and you could be me. Only I have longer hair.

I'm wearing earrings. ;):tongue (These ones, specifically.)

I need to get new chains for my favorite pendants.

And I'm working on growing my hair out again.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Ok, girl stuff pet peeve.

I've found that the quality of drugstore makeup is often excellent, often, IMO, as good as more expensive brands you'd buy at Sephora or a department store.

But you know what sucks? The containers. Even if I don't carry them around, they tend to disintegrate before I've even made a dent in the product. I open and close them a few times, and then have to tape the lid on.

Not true for the pricey brands. I have a Nars blush I love. I've had it for a while, I routinely carry it in my purse, it has been overseas with me -- I've even dropped it. The compact is fully intact.

Sure, I'd expect the more expensive brands to have better containers. But not THAT much better.

And I'm certain the containers for drugstore brands have gotten worse. They did not fall apart that easily when I was a teen buying the cheapest possibly stuff, and I was a lot rougher on things than I am now.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I have no idea how to do that. Mostly I just swear and tape the lid on as best I can. I would be glad of a better solution. I hate wasting stuff.

ETA:

I'll do some googling later today and see if I can find some instructions.

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
There's tons of tutorials online, mostly involving heating the container to melt the glue and then prying out the pan with a knife. Then you can magnetize the pan and stick it into a magnetic palette/sewing box. Lipstick and eyeshadow pencils can be melted into daily pill containers if you don't mind using a brush.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
oh, I use brushes. I'm particularly fond of getting the last of a favorite lipstick out of a tube with a lipstick brush.

Thanks -- I might try this with a couple of my eyeshadows. One unbroken box containing a palette would be much better than a bunch of broken, taped-together containers with bits of plastic falling off. (For pity's sake -- L'Oreal eyeshadow is not so cheap that the box hinge should snap the third time you open it...)

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. Tell me how it goes. I've never tried it but it's probably because of what you said -- most of the stuff I use regularly is somewhat high-end so I've never had a problem with containers breaking.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, my Revlon blush is, to the nearest decade, about thirty years old and its hinge still works, the brush's hairs do not fall out on use, and the tiny mirror remains firmly glued. I guess back then they knew how to make 'em, because my L'Oreal containers and ELF brushes are falling about with very light use.

Maryn, who uses blush maybe once a week

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
On the other hand, my Revlon blush is, to the nearest decade, about thirty years old and its hinge still works, the brush's hairs do not fall out on use, and the tiny mirror remains firmly glued. I guess back then they knew how to make 'em, because my L'Oreal containers and ELF brushes are falling about with very light use.

Maryn, who uses blush maybe once a week

I do think they used to make them better. When I was a teen, I'd toss makeup in my purse, gym bag, locker, and the containers would survive just fine, right up until I scraped out the last little bit. Now, I swear they break when you just open them.

On the plus side, I think the drugstore products themselves might be better. (or maybe I'm just better at using them?)