The Girl Stuff Thread

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
tinyCirrusCloud;9494910 But how the heck do girls put eyeliner on their upper eyelid without crying?!? (No seriously said:
there are 3 ways to wear eyeliner.

1. you can wear it above your lashline. Close your eye, take your opposite finger and pull the lid taut, then draw a line. Ideally your eyeliner should be soft and easy to use, you don't want a hard one that drags and pulls at your skin.

2. you can wear it on your waterline. the waterline is the pink rim when you pull your skin away from your eyeball. this is more difficult and potential for eye poking is high.

3. tight line- you take your pencil and fill in between your lashes on your lashline. this gives a more natural look and its my favorite.

whichever method you want to learn go to you tube and watch a few tutorials, once you know what you're doing it takes less than a minute.

Last edited:

ExiledStar

Baby penguin of DOOM
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkhajdin.com
I'm afraid I don't do much of the foo-foo stuff. I think most of that stuff was invented to waste women's time and money. Sadly our society rewards women who waste their time and money trying to meet superficial beauty standards (and then turns around and calls them vain and superficial for complying). We've internalized this to the point where some of us can only feel good about ourselves if we put the makeup on, arrange our hair just right, put on fashionable clothes, etc.

If men don't have to do these things, why should I? Why do they get the freedom to be themselves while we are supposed to look like painted Barbies?

I used to color my hair, but I've stopped because gray-white roots looked awful with dyed red hair, and I got sick of having to touch up every two weeks or so. So I'm letting my hair grow back in natural for the first time in maybe 15 years. I've got a lot of gray and one white streak which is actually rather striking. I like gray hair on other women; I think it's pretty.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't color my hair, which is long and unstylish. But I do color my face a little, with mental curses for ever sunning in my youth. My entire makeup routine, which I don't do daily, takes all of five to ten minutes.

For each of us, it's whatever we choose. Plenty of women look fine to me without makeup, hair color, etc. Others look old and worn beyond their years, and there's a certain beauty in that, too.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is for my old pal Lavern but anyone is of course free to join in.

Just got home from getting permanent lipstick. It looks darker than I'd usually wear but apparently it peels to nothing, then gradually reappears as a more conservative shade. Which makes no sense biologically, I think, but that is what they say.

I read a lot about how much the lip tats hurt (realself.com and in real life) but it really wasn't bad. Just tell them when the numbing cream isn't working well and they add more. Also, an esthetician can't give you drugs but I had some left from a surgery and took a tramadol (painkiller) and a Xanax (anti-anxiety) which I'm pretty sure changes the whole scenario.

Aside from a few stingish little jabs, I almost fell asleep. Next week is eyebrows, while I'm on my brave streak, and then I'm done aside from a possible touch up here and there.

https://twitter.com/Carly_Berg

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I
For each of us, it's whatever we choose. Plenty of women look fine to me without makeup, hair color, etc. Others look old and worn beyond their years, and there's a certain beauty in that, too.

I agree with that. I do what fits with my life, budget, and love interest and really don't care who else approves or doesn't. Of course there are many things in life that are more important but nothing wrong with enjoying (or not enjoying) the girly stuff if it makes you happy.

Maryn, I don't think it's even possible to improve on long, lovely, heavy hair. :)

Last edited:

anastasiareeves

That weird chick everyone ignores.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasiareeves.com
My lips hurt for you but I'm glad yours aren't too bad. Don't forget they'll itch and peel in a day or so!

I get my hair colored only to pretend I'm still in my 20's and can pull off the multi-colored look. I am naturally dirty blonde with some grey sneaking in there but I look way better with dark almost black hair. Lately I've added red to the ends so it looks like I'm hip and shit. I do it for me. I am a zero on the attractive to others scale. No amount of make-up or hair dye is ever going to change that :)

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Anastasia, of course you are attractive and your personality makes you more so. Perhaps you just do not realize it.

I shall soon return with more permanent makeup (eyebrow tattoos). I have just learned that some people have hair surgically transferred from their head to fill in sparse eyebrows. This makes me feel slightly less silly, somehow.

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhhh Fruity,

I checked out your Before and After Lip Pics = Gorgeous!!! :Clap:

Thelassa

From the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
I have been accused by many peers of being a "girly-girl." Those accusations were correct. I may be an intellectual geek girl, but when it comes to girly things and foo-foo, I am practically a walking stereotype (and proud of it). I love pink, glitter, being pampered, and cocktails.

I feel like a slouch a lot of the time now that I live with my fiancee. When I was single, I'd spend hours doing my hair and makeup. But now I want to be courteous and not monopolize the bathroom, and my fiancee always tells me I don't have to go to all that trouble for her anyway. My everyday makeup is just a bit of concealer and then liquid foundation (and pressed powder touch-ups throughout the day). I don't like to go au naturel in public because, like all the women of my family, I got all the Irish genes so every blemish and imperfection glares like a beacon. I want to get my highlights done again, since it's been a couple years. But we have other financial priorities. Fiancee is a licensed cosmetologist and has offered to do it for me, but she had to stop doing salon work because of a problem with her shoulder and I don't want her hurting herself because of my vanity. There's nothing wrong with my natural hair color, aside from a few more grey hairs now that I'm in my 30s, but I got it highlighted for the first time a few years ago and loved it dearly. Loved the color, my hair itself inspires envy among other women because of how "full and luxurious" it is. But of course, they don't have to try (and fail) to tame the tangles and snarls every day.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since I don't want to leave the house like this, I guess I won't post an eyebrow tattoo picture yet. It looks like someone colored my eyebrows in with a black magic marker, lol. It's supposed to be that way at first though and will peel off and lighten in a few days. I know she used a soft color and I like the shape so I think it will be fine. Now I just have to go back for a finishing session to look over if anything on the lips, eyeliner or brows needs tweaking, then I'll be done.

Okay, Ms. Lavern, your turn! Come on, you know you wanna. :p

ETA: So now of course my son decides we simply must go out to dinner to celebrate a training certificate he just got. You just know whenever you look your most comical, it will be time to go out. :(

Last edited:

Patricia Konarski

Registered
Reaction score
To All My Fellow Girls:

Exercise is key! I'm 76, feel great and owe it all to walking at least 10 blocks a day! As they say, your health is your wealth, so make the investment.

Patricia Konarski
--Freelance editor and owner of Patricia Konarski Literary Services of Tucson
Patricia Konarski’s Health – Life Quote: “Life with love is bliss, and adding dark chocolate makes it blissfully healthy.”

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you are so right. :)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...Okay, Ms. Lavern, your turn! Come on, you know you wanna.
I'd lurve to never have to apply lipstick or foundation ever again, but you know how PETRIFIED I am of needles.

Remember a few months ago, it took 4 shots of Novocain from the Dentist to numb my mouth?

There's no way in you-know-where I'm evah letting anybody near my face with a needle again!!!
:cry:

ETA: You just know whenever you look your most comical, it will be time to go out. :(
...Plus, you'll run into at least 3 or 4 people you know. :e2paperba

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I am not the girly girl, but I am a Dooney and Bourke girl and will never buy Coach. ;) I painted my toenails purple this evening, and won't have a pedicure for another few weeks.

However, I will happily look for feedback on eyeliner.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm thinking I have to see a dermatologist for my acne. Nothing ever seems to work.

Is there a way to seek "free" or "cheap" ones in my area?

If you live near a med school that teaches dermatology and don't mind being seen by students, it could be an option.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The dermatology school idea sounds great.

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to butt in, girls, but I have two teens who both had a bout with acne. They tried just about everything and nothing worked. Then they stopped doing anything--no medicine otc or scrip, and their acne went away. I mean gone. What I've learned about it is that all those things dry your skin to the point that it has to produce more oil which produces more acne and so it becomes a miserable cycle. Try it strawberry--i've seen it work twice with remarkable results. Don't even use the harsh OTC cleaning solutions. Get some organic stuff--if u need the name let me know and I'll look into it. It ain't fun, acne, and the worst part is that if you go through it for too long it will leave scars.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I've tried going without meds & topicals for my acne (age 40 here). Just made it worse, alas. My dermatologist is stumped (just saw her today actually). Doxycycline's been the only thing that's helped, but too much leaves me vulnerable to a rash brought on by humid heat.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's the kind of acne? Yeah, I don't know if it will work for strawberry, but it sure is cheap!

snc84

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to butt in, girls, but I have two teens who both had a bout with acne. They tried just about everything and nothing worked. Then they stopped doing anything--no medicine otc or scrip, and their acne went away. I mean gone. What I've learned about it is that all those things dry your skin to the point that it has to produce more oil which produces more acne and so it becomes a miserable cycle. Try it strawberry--i've seen it work twice with remarkable results. Don't even use the harsh OTC cleaning solutions. Get some organic stuff--if u need the name let me know and I'll look into it. It ain't fun, acne, and the worst part is that if you go through it for too long it will leave scars.

I second this do nothing advice. I never had problem skin because I never messed around with it. I'd wear my makeup, wipe it off at the end of the day- most of the time. I few years back I thought I'd try the new face massager brush thing and my skin went crazy!! Total grease slick, painful breakouts... just horrible. The reviews all said that might happen and to give your skin time to adjust. It never adjusted and two months later that $125 face brush went in the trash. It took a little while for my skin to calm back down. I'm back to using a makeup wipe in the evening and a gentle cleanser in the shower.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure it depends. They both had some initial positive results with some cream that contained peroxide, but even that didn't last. The worst, by far, for my two kids was Proactive--think that's the name of it. Maybe if you don't have some kind of special skin condition, and just normal teenage acne, doing nothing might have a good chance of working. Other more rare, serious conditions, maybe not.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard really good things about tretinoin (generic Retin-A) for acne. I use it as a night cream, for "signs of aging" and it definitely puffs up the collagen under the skin a bit as far as that goes.

From what I've read, when used for acne, it pulls the impurities out from beneath the skin's surface so the acne gets worse at first, but then much, much better.

However, it's pricey in the US because it's prescription. In Canada and some other places, it's sold over the counter and much less expensive. I get mine mail order from a longstanding pharmacy in Canada. (The OTC kind is manufactured by Johnson and Johnson). However, to stay out of possible trouble, you still have to get a prescription from a doctor here first (they'll usually write it for a years' worth). And while cheaper from Canada, it's still not exactly cheap.

ETA: I think just laying out in the sun for a little while each day would probably help a decent amount for free.

Last edited: