Okay - who else got a fitbit for Christmas?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently I have totally nailed sleeping. I'm very proud :)

I need fitbitter friends to show off my sleeping skills to, though - or else it's a smug-free victory, and honestly, where's the fun in that?

Rotes

Crazy Opossum Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Fitbit
Even the word FITBIT makes me giggle.
:D
I don't know what a fitbit is.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's the first I've heard of it. I googled it but please tell more.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Been ages since I had a fitbit. Sigh.

He didn't have much conversation afterwards though.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
My sister and her husband got themselves fitbits, and they sound like really cool gizmos with some well-thought-out features.

My sister warns that if you're pushing a cart in the supermarket, the fitbit won't pick up any of your steps. She lost out on about 2000 steps on one epic shopping trip with her husband.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I've had one for several years. I'd be happy to be your friend! It's fun to taunt people!

And regarding pushing a shopping cart - I've never had any issues. I wear the Fitbit One on my hip most of the time, sometimes clipped to my bra, and it's pretty dead on.

The only thing it doesn't always get are flights of stairs. If you're walking hills or riding an escalator...sometimes it counts that as well.

Last edited:

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
No fitbit, McCardey. I have dogs that beg me to take them for walks instead. In some ways that's better, at least for me, because I can cheerfully neglect an electronic device. Avoiding being a bad dog mom is enough to get me out and moving so that my butt doesn't inseparably weld itself into the chair in front of the computer.

I have to agree that it's an adorable word, though. There's got to be a way to use it to make it entertaining. Now I want to figure out a way to put it into a flash piece.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I could've gotten a FitBit, but I couldn't decide on which one I wanted, so it never made my Christmas list.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
An over-expensive gimmick that a $5 pedometer or a free smartphone app like Google Fit can replace and do much better. That's pretty much the general idea behind all fitness electronics; just a massive profit margin pushed on the general public with the idea that 99% of the people buying them are going to neglect after a few days. You're better off buying a decent pair of walking shoes and a yoga mat.

I know a woman who's entire work got them. Their health plan offered them for free--mostly because everyone at her work are overweight people who sit all day. She was so excited for it and used it well for three days... until she just gave up, as did just about everyone at her work. She sold it on Craigslist and we went out to a bar for food and drinks.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
An over-expensive gimmick that a $5 pedometer or a free smartphone app like Google Fit can replace and do much better.

Perhaps, but I will say this - Fitbit customer service is fantastic.

Last summer, I lost my Fitbit. It was my own fault. I lost the entire thing, clip included.

I emailed customer service because someone suggested they might replace it. For free.

They did. No questions asked.

They are also very responsive if you're having a technical issue.

I found it worth the money. Cheap pedometers aren't as "sleek" so you're paying a bit for looks as well. But I know that on the rare occasion I don't wear it, it's much easier to let myself slip. Forget to get up and walk around the office. Seeing those numbers, being able to link via bluetooth and through Myfitnesspal.com where I log everything else...has been pretty much invaluable to me. *shrug*

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Not for Christmas, but I have had one since March and it is awesome. As someone who is very metrics-organized, it is pretty much the perfect tool for me. I lost 12 pounds over the past few months and I think having my Fitbit helped a lot!

I've had pedometers in the past and this is way better.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fitbit
Even the word FITBIT makes me giggle.
:D
I don't know what a fitbit is.

It's the first I've heard of it. I googled it but please tell more.

Who knows, maybe I got one, too. :D

Do we all know what it is now? It's one of these. I'm usually the last person to know about new fads because of being such a techno-thickie, so I just assumed they were pretty ubiquitous.

Been ages since I had a fitbit. Sigh.

He didn't have much conversation afterwards though.

I adore you.

My sister and her husband got themselves fitbits, and they sound like really cool gizmos with some well-thought-out features.

My sister warns that if you're pushing a cart in the supermarket, the fitbit won't pick up any of your steps. She lost out on about 2000 steps on one epic shopping trip with her husband.

Which explains why it didn't pick up the hour on the treadmill - because I hold a book while I walk (hence the treadmill) and my arms don't move.

I love it anyway.

I've had one for several years. I'd be happy to be your friend! It's fun to taunt people.

We'll always be friends.

I have to agree that it's an adorable word, though. There's got to be a way to use it to make it entertaining. Now I want to figure out a way to put it into a flash piece.
:ROFL:

An over-expensive gimmick that a $5 pedometer or a free smartphone app like Google Fit can replace and do much better. That's pretty much the general idea behind all fitness electronics; just a massive profit margin pushed on the general public with the idea that 99% of the people buying them are going to neglect after a few days. You're better off buying a decent pair of walking shoes and a yoga mat.

I know a woman who's entire work got them. Their health plan offered them for free--mostly because everyone at her work are overweight people who sit all day. She was so excited for it and used it well for three days... until she just gave up, as did just about everyone at her work. She sold it on Craigslist and we went out to a bar for food and drinks.

That's very un-Holiday-Spirit of you. :cry: I like it much better than my gym membership, because a gym membership doesn't work unless you actually go which is something they might have mentioned before I signed up. Besides - my kids gave it to me. So it also has love. My gym membership was totally love deplete.

Not for Christmas, but I have had one since March and it is awesome. As someone who is very metrics-organized, it is pretty much the perfect tool for me. I lost 12 pounds over the past few months and I think having my Fitbit helped a lot!

I've had pedometers in the past and this is way better.

Ezackly - I like it a lot, even though it didn't count my treadmill-steps. Because a) it has love (hmph @ Osulagh*) and b) it makes me feel fit even though I'm not really. That makes me happier, and me, happy is better for the human race generally. So that makes my fitbit a force for good. It's a fitbit with super-powers. And it told me that I am a 100% efficient sleeper - which made me very proud.

ETA: *Osulagh ;)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been wearing a Fitbit Zip clipped to my bra for almost 2 years. Customer service is great. Mine died once and they sent me a new one no charge even though I didn't have a receipt.

It tracks my shopping cart steps but it makes sense that the wrist band version might not.

My only complaint with the Zip is that the little silicon clips fall apart too fast. In 2 years of daily use I am probably on my 6th one, and they $14 plus shipping to replace, and you can't buy replacements locally.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I've had one since the summer and really like it. It makes me do stupid stuff like march in place when I brush my teeth, but my fitness regimen, by necessity, is mostly based on "everything counts"

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I've had one since the summer and really like it. It makes me do stupid stuff like march in place when I brush my teeth, but my fitness regimen, by necessity, is mostly based on "everything counts"
Glad to hear that. I do quickie exercises while I wait for my coffee to heat in the microwave. :)