• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

KT Public Relations & Literary Services (Kae Tienstra)

The Scribbler

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any info or a history with this agency. Kae Tienstra is the agent. I ran across it her on agentquery.com. I checked out the website, but it really does not offer much information. I am guessing that she is pretty new. They are not even listed on Preditors & Editors.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.ktpublicrelations.com/

Well...flipping through a few Google pages finds "press releases" regarding some self-pubbed / univ. press books, but nothing about her as an agent selling those books.

Personally, I'm leery of such agent/publicist combos. Smacks of conflict of interest. I mean, would they really make the effort to sell a few books a year to agent-required publishers (who'd do their own publicity) when they could funnel writers en masse into micro-presses and get $$$$ from the authors for publicity? Unless you can get "real" sales info, I'd pass.

Nexusman

Chaos Warrior
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nexusman.atspace.com
I received one of my SASEs back in the mail earlier today asking for a partial. They also want my "marketing strategy for the book--What we are looking for here is the extent/size of your 'platform' for selling/marketing your book"

This was followed by a bulleted list. Should I worry, be glad I didn't get a form rejection, or send off the info? I'd appreciate any help.

-Nick

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection of an e-mail query a couple of days ago.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Nexusman said:
Should I worry, be glad I didn't get a form rejection, or send off the info? I'd appreciate any help.

-Nick
I'd say the standard agent-vetting questions apply: What has this agency sold to advance & royalty-paying publishers which require agents? Can you find those books on shelves? (I.e., the sales aren't from twenty years ago or something.)

If no, wouldn't you prefer an agent who can get you on shelves rather than "sell" you to a POD, then charge you $$$ for "publicity"?

Nexusman

Chaos Warrior
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nexusman.atspace.com
I finally got around to sending them a partial just earlier today. I'll keep everyone posted on what I hear back but I'm having some doubts about their validity. Their website is primarily about the PR part of their business and they don't even show their client list for books or recent sales.

-Nick

Noddy Rider

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.ktpublicrelations.com/

Personally, I'm leery of such agent/publicist combos. Smacks of conflict of interest. I mean, would they really make the effort to sell a few books a year to agent-required publishers (who'd do their own publicity) when they could funnel writers en masse into micro-presses and get $$$$ from the authors for publicity?

I spoke with Kae Tienstra -- she was very clear that if they are the literary agent for an author, they do not do the publicity for that author.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Good to hear. Did she happen to mention recent sales?

Noddy Rider

Registered
Reaction score
She has sold two NF in the past year (psychology/self help; no, I didn't ask which publishers).

She was very straightforward about their experience -- "We have a great background in book publishing from a marketing, sales and public relations perspective, but we want you to know that we are not seasoned literary agents."

I certainly appreciate an agent who doesn't overstate her experience. Seems pretty rare.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
My critique partner has just been offered representation by Kae Tienstra for her fantasy novel.
I'll let you know how she gets on.

Tachyon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tachyondecay.net
My critique partner has just been offered representation by Kae Tienstra for her fantasy novel.
I'll let you know how she gets on.
That's very interesting, since I queried regarding my fantasy novel and received a rejection that contained this:
Unfortunately, we are going to pass on this project because we are pulling away from the fantasy genre.
Honestly, my query wasn't very well written (I'm rehashing it in the Query Letter Critique forum). However, if it was the query--not the genre--that prompted the rejection, I would have liked to know.

Or maybe she just decided to refuse any further fantasy queries after a cut-off point and your friend got in before that point. I'm not going to draw any conclusions; I'm just sharing my experience.

The reply itself was professional and well-written, and also quite quick.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Update: My critique partner has an offer for her novel from an advance paying publisher who gets their books into bookstores.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Update: My critique partner has an offer for her novel from an advance paying publisher who gets their books into bookstores.

Kudos to her, and to your friend! Here's the next question: was the publisher one that accepts unagented submissions?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It was, because the samples were sent before she signed with the agency and the request for the full came in a few days after she signed.
However I know that the manuscript is out with other publishers who do not take unagented subs, and the agency is making the right moves in contacting them to see if they are interested in making a counter offer.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
My critique partner has landed a two book deal with Berkely. This was a counter offer to the one I mentioned above and was handled completely by Kae Tienstra

Quill Chick

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about querying this agent. Anyone else have more experience with her since this thread was started?

Thanks, Quill Chick.

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
I decided to query them on a fantasy novel I'm currently shopping and got this email:

Dear Ms. Tomlin:

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider your query. Unfortunately, we are going to pass on this project. We wish you only the best in your continued search for an agent and a publisher.

Sincerely,

Kae Tienstra

Nothing about not being interested in fantasy, you'll notice. Pretty much a form email, of course, but I'd say normal seeming for an agent.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The latest Publishers Lunch lists a "nice" sale to Berkley (for one book, so I presume it's a deal in addition to the one waylander mentions above.)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The latest Publishers Lunch lists a "nice" sale to Berkley (for one book, so I presume it's a deal in addition to the one waylander mentions above.)

Nah. I think that's a mistake.
If it is for Patrice Sarath's book, it's a two book deal.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*shuffles through link history* Ah, yep, same author. Drat, I was hoping to credit KT with another sale.