Check In- What Are You Doing?

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully your father can come home BD!

I'm back from Montreal. Didn't smoke (Day 5 now) and had a great trip.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Tuesday evening, and trying to remember if early start was Wednesday/Thursday (the logical thing) or Thursday/Friday (the thing I vaguely recall them hinting at); they only said it once, and didn't say by day but by date. At work, it's Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday; I'm not thinking numerically without looking at a calendar. Think I'll head in a trifle early Just In Case. Besides, it might freeze lightly tonight, so allowing the extra time would probably be a good deal. (I normally aim to be there about half an hour before shift start, so it's a minor enough adjustment - plus I got my shower in tonight, so that saves a little time, too.)

Mostly, we've been cleaning up and trying to get ready for Dad's possible/probable return tomorrow; he was up to solid foods for dinner, so if that goes okay they'll probably send him home. His old chair is more broken than we realize, so we have to do some creative rearrangement until we can haul it out and get a new chair.

Guess I'll poke about a bit and unwind before heading off to bed.

--

Wednesday, and only a few things going on worth noting:

1 - Early start was, indeed, tomorrow and Friday, which I suspected. I shaved it close enough to the line that I wasn't sitting in the car for too long, though. (That's why my Kindle travels with me...) I just left the sandwich I brought in the fridge so I don't have to make one tonight.

2 - It's warming up, so the snow's mostly off the roads, though the one below us is a bit slushy/skiddy still.

3 - Dad is coming home today. By the time I got home after shopping after work, they'd left to (theoretically) pick him up. No telling when they'll get back, as checking out of hospitals is a procedure that defies modern temporal physics to measure.

Just finished a Safeway chicken strip lunch, and am chilling for a bit. I know I need to get back into the long-neglected site transfer now that dragons aren't devouring my free time, but I'm in that weird post-Xmas/pre-New Year's mind space. (I blame winter break in school for training me that it's not worth one's while to be too productive in this lull week. Bad enough I have to work...)

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@BD- Wow, your ornaments are gorgeous! :)

So glad to hear your father is expected to be allowed to come home soon.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And Dad is home. Tired, as one might expect, but home.

Fingers crossed he stays here for a good long while.

Got my shower in (early start tomorrow - showering at night means not leaving the house in pre-sunrise chill with wet hair, plus it allows me a little more snooze-in time), dinner dishes washed and put away, and I'll probably head to bed soon to read or something. I've missed reading. Need to get back into writing, but that holiday fog and general fatigue are still clouding my brain... plus I'm still creatively drained somewhat from the dragon marathon.

Away I wander.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back in from the cold. Messed up my minor maintenance worker duties and put the garbage's/recycling out on the wrong day. For that reason, I missed the collection at several properties today.

No worries though, my boss says we'll take care of it later. Phew!

Now, into the tea and the books and the writing. OH YEAH!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thursday afternoon. Long, tiring day at work (wound up feeding books onto the belt twice, which I'm sure I'll feel soon), followed by a trek down the hill to the mailbox to pick up mail and drop off the recycling bin (will have to drop off garbage on my way to work tomorrow.) Which was necessarily followed by a trek up the hill.

So I'm tired and sore and just trying not to fall asleep in my soup.

Dad's still doing okay, though he's tired, too. His body's still healing, so that's to be expected. Plus we're a rather boring household.

I'm going to be losing some snooze-in time on Saturday; somehow I'm the one who has to take Mom's car down for emissions testing, which needs doing before the first. (Mom doesn't really drive anymore, Dad can't right now, and the sibling can't drive that car.) So I'm claiming dibs on sleep-in rights on Sunday, dang it. I'm not a morning person. I need my snoozing time. And I'll need it after one more day of early start at work, especially if I'm feeding twice again. (Will need heavy duty bandages, too; it's the time of year when splits by the nails happen, and boy does feeding books exacerbate them...)

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BD, so glad to hear that your Dad is home from the hospital. Happy to know that he's recovering and is stable.

As for me, I'm digging into the writing. I've edited about 1,100 words already and am have 400 words written. May go for a crazy word count tonight: there's still plenty of time!

*UPDATED*

At 1,997 words written. I'm going to keep going. LET'S DO THIS!

Last edited:

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Back from the Great Frozen North and glad for it. It's nice to be back in my own routine, in my own bed, and without drama in the air. The apartment was cold as fuck though, and took more than a day to get it back up to a livable temperature.

BD-glad to hear your dad's back home and healing well, that's awesome :D

So tonight I go back to work...with absolutely nothing to write ;_; I think I'm in a rut or something. I didn't write a single word over the holiday, I kept getting distracted by HGTV and drama, but it was also probably for the best that I take a break. It's just a matter of finding that spark, that passion again. SHATTERED DREAMING's revisions have halted because, well, to be frank, I hate what it's becoming, so I'm going to leave it alone for a little longer. Which means working on something new. That normally would be the cause for all kinds of excitement, but all I want to do is work on AMBERSHIELD, but it needs more time to percolate. Ah, dilemmas.

Here's wishing you guys a safe New Year's and that 2018 will kick 2017's ass.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
DanielSTJ - You go! Write all the words!

thereeness - Taking creative breaks is perfectly normal and acceptable (see also The Oatmeal), just so long as it doesn't become stagnation. Use the time to recharge, maybe do some reading or absorbing of ideas.

A drizzly Friday morning, up way too early, and will be leaving for work soonish; gotta drop the garbage off on the way. If I leave early enough, I might even gas up the car on the way in. Trying to decide if I'm ambitious enough to shop my way home. Probably not. Will be going out Saturday anyway for that emissions thing. Fingers crossed Mom's car still runs okay. (Sometimes I wonder why we keep it.)

Away I drift.

--

And it's later on Friday. Just finished off a discounted coconut cream pielet (or whatever you call those little personal-sized pie things), because I figured I'd earned it. Probably haven't, but that's what I figured.

Work existed. Early start next Wednesday and Thursday. I think we'd have done a better job catching up if we weren't down so many people; end of year vacations crossed with HR suddenly getting all snarky about people going over vacation hour limits, so people had no choice but to take vacation time at the worst possible time of the year. Eh, well... HR isn't exactly popular around these parts.

I did indeed go shopping after work (hence me figuring I'd earned a pielet for ambition, if not productivity). They had their slippers on sale, but were already down to the crud sizes, so I'll have to order myself new ones from Amazon. May have to order ones for Dad, too, while I'm at it; he has foot swelling issues due to circulation problems. My old slippers - a size too big for me when I got them, and for various reasons I wound up just giving them to Dad during this hospital incident because they're easier to get on and off than his shoes - are turning out to be a little too small for him sometimes. (Foot swelling varies.) In any event, other than the pie, it was mostly a waste of a shopping trip save a really good price on fresh whole turkeys (fifty cents a pound? Pick up a twenty-pounder and that's two, three meals for us, easy. More if I ever get the ambition to make turkey soup with the bones.)

Then I come home and find out about a whole list of things Mom meant to tell me to pick up, but didn't write down or say anything about.

It's always something...

Away I wander. Don't need to start dinner for almost an hour, so I'll probably poke about or read a bit or otherwise do things that don't require standing.

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting for my good ol' pal to wake up so we can discuss the plan for New Years.

My boss gave me some money as a present so I want to go over there for two days.

I may not be on the forum much, if at all, during that time.

Nonetheless, it'll be fun. I need a break from the crazy word counts I've been doing and all the homework.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Saturday afternoon, and finally got the room swept and mattress flipped (last Saturday of the month is mattress-flipping day - 'cause I need something to look forward to.)

Plans to get the tabs for Mom's car were temporarily delayed by a low tire (one of the tires seems to have a slow leak despite being repaired and replaced), then a dead battery (hasn't been run in too long; fortunately, a jump start and some driving charged it back up)... then by the license place being closed despite saying they were open online. But the car at least passed emissions, and the tabs will be there when we get a chance to pick them up.

We also did some shopping, and got lunch at Jack in the Box because we really were that hungry.

Off I wander. Closing in on the finish line of another book, likely the last finished of the year. Reading, that is. Writing, I still need to get back to...

DrDLN

Banned
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
It's vacation time and things are slow. I am waiting to have some excitement over the new year.

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Third shift is so freaking boring with nothing to write and no new books to read XD

I never thought I'd complain so hard about not having anything to do, but I am. I actually napped a little bit (which is a huge no-no) but my brain was such mush that I couldn't help it. I finished the new book I bought the same day and brought one of my older ones as backup, but I didn't want to read that one again either. It's a shame my family doesn't get my obsession with books, I would've loved a Nook or Kindle, so I could buy books for a buck by the barrel load, haha.

Hopefully I'll find something to write about tonight. I need the distraction.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Readying myself to go help another part of my family - everyone's getting seriously ill and things are pretty bad. We'll be offering respite and/or hugs. Problem is the wife has a broken foot and I'm, well, getting ever more decrepit.

In other news I'm looking for one of those talking porg toys.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thereeness - If you keep an eye out, you can get some decent deals on refurbished Kindles and Nooks. (And there are Nook and Kindle apps.) In my experience, the dedicated eReaders last pretty good. Just FYI...

Keithy - Sorry to hear of ill health in the family. Always seems worse around the holidays, for some reason...

Saturday night, and we're meeting family for an end-of-year lunch tomorrow (and to burn off a Denny's coupon.) On the way, we're dropping of some recycling, because the holidays really stuffed the blue bin overfull. So, while I can sleep in a bit, I won't have the day to myself as I'd kinda hoped.

Hopefully Monday will be a day all to myself, to get back into site work and writing and other things I've been neglecting too long... wouldn't hold my breath on it, though. And Tuesday will probably be eaten. Then it's early start at work on Wednesday... Dang it.

Probably should see about washing dinner dishes. Last I looked the kitchen was occupied by Mom rinsing out recycling. Again.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And it's Sunday, New Year's Eve. Well, New Year's Eve Day. Technically, New Year's Eve Day Morning.

We're heading out in about an hour to meet relatives for lunch, courtesy of a discount coupon at Denny's. Along the way, we're dropping off some extra recycling and maybe extra trash. We live the high life, I tell ya...

Going to make my internet rounds, then write up my book-review-year-in-review post for my blog.

And, no, throat, you're not going into the new year with scunge! Knock it off now!

--

And it's now New Year's Eve Eve.

The outing was tolerable. (Family can be so... familylike sometimes...) And my visit to Half Price Books was rather aggravating. (This particular HPB is very poorly laid out, and people - employees in particular - tend to plow right over you if you even consider slowing down to read shelves. And when I finally got to a place where I was trying to browse, an employee nearby got very loud and pushy asking about what I was looking for. It was clear she just wanted me gone so she could put things on shelves... behavior that, back when I put things on shelves in grocery stores, I would've been reamed out for, but which is apparently SOP at this store. Dang it, I just wanted to see what they had, so maybe I could, y'know, buy something, but by that point I happily obliged and walked away - and they didn't get any of my money today.) But we got to see the supermoon just as it was peeking over the hills on the way home. And I got more books down the street at B&N. Plus I just grabbed a few books online with a gift card (I think it applied the gift card; today's been rather annoying, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't take.)

We have a leak in the kitchen sink. Again. So washing dishes tonight will be Fun.

Eh, well... guess I'd best stop snacking on leftover Xmas candy and get to that.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
A new year, a new day, and all that crud.

Weather's foggy and chilly.

So far, 2018 looks suspiciously like 2017 only with a new calendar.

I'm currently jotting down a short story I half-dreamed this morning. That's more than I've managed in far too long.

Best get back to that.

--

It's later the same New Year's Day. Took a break from the new short (after jotting down where I want to go) and uploaded a game I got for Xmas, West of Loathing (from the makers of the free online parody RPG Kingdom of Loathing.) Just about ruptured something laughing, plus - like KoL - it's a very fun, very playable game, more than just jokes... (Definitely funnier if you're familiar with KoL; like KoL, it uses meat as currency.)

Gotta take a game break to get a turkey started, that 20-pounder. The instructions on the cooking bag say 3 hours, but I always allow extra for turkey. It's fresh not frozen, so that should take some time off. Still, every one cooks different, I swear.

Last edited:

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Well, 2018 started with me almost being late for work and (literally) chasing my cab up and down the block because the stupid bastard wouldn't look up from his precious steering wheel. "Hard to see" my ass, not only does my block have street lights, but the complex has lamposts that frame the sidewalks leading up to every building entrance (and there's 3 buildings on the one block.) But I punched in with 30 seconds to spare, so I wasn't late and will get perfect attendance for December, thank god. THEN, Monday morning after work, since it's a holiday the buses run lesser hours. Well, they were also late getting into the transfer point, to which I had to stand out in -30 wind chills for 15 minutes. I think I spent 10-15 minutes massaging my legs with soft blankets when I got home so they'd get some feeling back in them.

I hate living in Wisconsin sometimes >.<

I also believe I'm in a writing rut, so I'm going to see about relaxing this January, at least for a little bit. I didn't write anything at all in the second half of December, so maybe a month, month and a half of no serious writing will get me back into the swing of things. I'm also excited, because like 5 of my "want to read" books are coming out February 6th and I'm going to get a great big pile of KM Weiland's writing books later this week. (I ordered online the Saturday before the holiday XD Whoops.)

So, 2018 is starting with more a whimper than a bang, but it can only go up from here.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Preparing to send a DNA sample for a do it yourself kit--a Christmas gift. My 87 year old aunt took one before Thanksgiving and had some surprising results. Both her children are adopted so they can't confirm her results. My sister, my brother and I are taking the tests to compare notes. Our grandparents --my aunt's parents-- spoke German at home. Their parents were immigrants from a town called Biblis in Germany--homesteaders in one small Kansas county. On that side of the family all the surnames are German, all were German speaking, what we call Volga Dutch. Turns out my aunt is only 7% German. Either the results are off or the family stories are off. --s6

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Preparing to send a DNA sample for a do it yourself kit--a Christmas gift. My 87 year old aunt took one before Thanksgiving and had some surprising results. Both her children are adopted so they can't confirm her results. My sister, my brother and I are taking the tests to compare notes. Our grandparents --my aunt's parents-- spoke German at home. Their parents were immigrants from a town called Biblis in Germany--homesteaders in one small Kansas county. On that side of the family all the surnames are German, all were German speaking, what we call Volga Dutch. Turns out my aunt is only 7% German. Either the results are off or the family stories are off. --s6

I've read anecdotal stories of family skeletons unearthed by DNA tests - further proof that oral history is unreliable. Which one are you doing? (I've always kinda wanted to do the one that claims to detect Neanderthal ancestry, the one National Geographic advertises.)

Tuesday morning, and it froze good last night. Should probably cover my car later when it thaws out; early start tomorrow will be even less fun if I have to stop and scrape.

Slowly getting my day going. Dad has a doctor appointment today, and a surgical follow-up tomorrow. I think I'm off the hook for both. (We've been sorta butting heads around here lately, so I'd just as soon avoid family for a while.)

Today's agenda includes more short story work - I want to try to have the thing finished, or well-drafted at least, by the end of the week - and a little tidying by my computer, though I'll probably also lose a good chunk of the day to "West of Loathing."

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Remember too that the ethnic estimates are really just SWAGs. I did mine in November through Ancestry and found almost 400 possible cousins. Pretty excited to track some of them down.

Yesterday was a lazy day. I spent lots of time doing nothing useful. Tweaked a couple of blog posts. Logged on to Ancestry and hit a gold mine with one of their hints. It pointed me to a WW1 Veterans Compensation Application for someone I didn't know was a vet, which in turn gave me his mother's maiden name that I didn't have. Made me happy.

Today, I've spent 2 hours trying to figure out why the wireless adapter on my 8-month-old $1400 gaming laptop died in the middle of the night. Sigh. And according to MSI, "adapters" are "consumables," so they're only warrantied for 6 months.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Celebrating the new year and my birthday with my dear family, who have always been there and gifen me the most wonderful life imaginable.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Just slaughtered everyone at scrabble.