Check In- What Are You Doing?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Friday afternoon, and we got off an hour early. I was able to hit the grocery store and get home for lunch before we would've normally been let go. (Also got the gas tank topped on the way in. Always feels good to have a full tank of gas. Don't even like to go below a half-tank if I can help it.) So I just finished up a chicken strip lunch (with a Mountain Dew, 'cause it's been a while and I need the caffeine.) I'll be heading out to the workshed soonish; time to add the black bits and retouch, then glazing, which I might do after dinner. (Dinner will be hamburger and potato chip, so that doesn't take long to prepare.)

And I may have figured out an alternative to those spheres I can't paint yet... will have to check to see if that'll work today. Would be nice if it did, 'cause it would save me at least a day's work on those blasted things... plus the trouble of figuring out where to balance a bunch of half-painted spheres in my workshed. It's not like I have a bunch of little sphere stands running around for just such an occasion.

--

Well, the day took an iffy turn...

Dad's still rather out of it from whatever this bug is; had some incontinence issues, and some responsiveness problems. Sibling and Mom are out getting supplies, and I'm supposed to be keeping an eye on him until they get home. If he doesn't get better, we might be taking him in tonight; he could need fluids or something. (We still think it's some sort of flu that's having a magnified effect because of his age. He did get the flu shot, but that doesn't mean it's not a strain of flu.)

On the plus side, he seemed to keep down broth. And if stuff's going through him, it's not the intestinal issue I was secretly fearing. I think he's just been whacked extra-hard with the flu stick, though he may still need assistance getting through it.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Not good. Possible intestinal blockage. They're going to run a tube to try relieving pressure, which hopefully helps. He's not in great shape for surgery. Any spare fingers to cross would be appreciated. Please...

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Still sitting in the ER. They drained a snerkload of fluid from his stomach (about a liter, in medical terms), and started antibiotics to head off other issues. Hope he gets into a room before midnight.... hope things look better tomorrow...

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And home again. There must be a rule that nobody can ever leave the hospital before midnight if one arrives via ER... Dad is in a room, looking a little better, so fingers crossed... Eating a late dinner from Jack in the Box. Must be hungry becuse it smells great.

captaincrow

Registered
Reaction score
Hope your dad is gonna be fine, Brightdreamer! :Hug2:

It's a bit after 11 AM here and I just woke up. Heard my parents making noise in their study which is opposite my room--they're getting rid of old books. Hopefully, there's nothing too interesting stuff among them because I'm too lazy to get up and take a look.

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
All the positive thoughts and crossed fingers for your dad, BD.

Wrote some more tonight, didn't go for my walk this morning, since I went twice in a row the past few days. Only 2 more shifts before my vacation begins and I'll be back on first shift hours and awake during the day like a normal person again. We'll see how it affects me.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the wishes. No phone calls in the night, so that's good...

Saturday morning, and a light dusting of pebbly snow, already melting. Had some on the car when we left Swedish last night, too. A surprise.

We're heading out in a while to visit him. Trying to think positive without jinxing anything.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And looks like surgery is happening. Talked to the surgeon, and his heart looks good enough, and the obstruction unlikely enough to clear on its own, that they're willing to give it a go. So in a couple hours (hospital time), he goes in.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Getting excited about seeing The Last Jedi! Woo!

Anyway, there's something about sitting there watching a star wars movie you've never seen before (and isn't a prequel) and the words "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" appear on the screen, followed by that fanfare... gives me goosebumps thinking about it.

(Meanwhile, I'm avoiding spoilers)

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just heard from the surgeon. The procedure went well; scar tissue had created a stricture that was just on the edge of being Very Very Bad. So we got him in just in time. We'll head home after we see him back in his room. Hopeful for a swift recovery.

--

And home. Exhausting day, but - knock on plywood - things are looking better for now. He was coming out of anesthetic well and resting comfortably when we left him.

Winding down with some mindless websurfing then off to bed.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sunday evening (is it just Sunday? My sense of time is twisted beyond repair...), and we're heading out again in a bit to visit Dad again.

He seems to be doing well after surgery. Just waiting for the guts to wake back up (they don't like being poked and snipped), which can take a while. Fingers crossed he's home by Xmas.

Got a little workshed time in. Still think I can finish ornaments by Xmas, though I still haven't got the first coat of glaze on (which I need to do before I start detail work, 'cause it's easier to wipe mistakes off a sealed surface in my experience) - may do that after tonight's visit if I'm not too wiped out.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Getting ready for bed. I've been sick with the flu since Friday; what a waste of a weekend. I really needed the time too. I don't know how I'll possibly manage to get everything done this week, but I'll try my best. It also sucked because I didn't really enjoy the office party/pot luck at all. No stomach upset but just not interested in food, and all the noise just made my headache worse. I ended up going out to work the dock during the party and let the dock dudes go in and eat instead.

And just to compound my misery, the red tide is in too. So I've been literally a bloody mess for days.

I am so done with this season already and it's barely even started.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
DH - Bummer on the flu. Seems to be going around everywhere.
Our work "thing" is on Wednesday. If there's a chance Dad's coming home, I'll take it off, shucky darn. (They always do a white elephant thing. Got something to throw in the pile, but I can't say I'm that excited, or that I'd miss it terribly if I weren't there. White elephants mean different things to different people, and they're never quite as fun or impractical or WTF as I consider the ideal white elephant.)

Dad continues slow but steady improvement. We brought him his little netbook computer, which he dove right into. My uncle had stopped by and brought him some magazines, too. So he should be well entertained for the duration of his stay.

I'll do glazing tomorrow. Just too dark and blustery out there. Plus my gut's been twingy; the stress is catching up, I think.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just got home from class and work.

Ready to start some reading and work on math. Oh math, the things you force me to complete...

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Monday, in that gray time between afternoon and evening. (Literally, today - gray and dark and blustery.)

It was a long day, but generally productive. Got Dad's glasses repaired. Visited him in his new room - he's out of ICU, so they shifted him to the other wing. Doctors seem pleased with his progress, though his gut still hasn't come back online after surgery (not uncommon.) We grabbed deli dinner at QFC, and in about an hour I need to be out in my shed for touch-ups and glazing. Trying to figure out how to shortcut the rest of the ornaments, as I keep losing my days... may end up freehanding a part I was going to try sketching out. (Would be really awesome if the sibling drove once in a while, but that's not going to happen...)

As for writing... ha.

And we found out there will be an extra person at Xmas, so I'm trying to find out what they'd want in the way of a small gift. Seems the nice thing to do.

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
*Putters around a la Robin Williams in Jumanji.* What year is it?

Needless to say, with my vacation coming up on Wednesday, I have to get back onto normal people sleeping hours, so I'm actually awake when my family's awake. This means staying up for 30 hours in a row. I've been awake since 6 PM Sunday night and it's about 830 PM on Monday now.

My brain is mud and I should not be allowed around children or heavy machinery at this time.

Got all my Christmas shopping done, just gotta get the cards out in the mail. Haven't done any writing since work...I'm hating my revisions again >.< Mostly because I tried to change my MC's personality to something I thought would reflect "better" to her situation, but it's just not working. She's got no agency and that's just boring. And not good. My roomie was sneaky and treated me to dinner as part of my Christmas present (she paid before I even got my card out, the ninja) so that's a nice way to wrap up the week before we both leave on vacation.

Hope your dad's doing better BD and that your flu gets better DH. Wishing everyone the best!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And it's later the same evening. First side varnished on the ornaments. (I give varnish extra drying time, just in case - will do the second side tomorrow, then hopefully start detail stuff in the afternoon or evening.) And we got some ideas for stuff for the extra guest. (Friend of the family - long story about her family essentially uninviting her after she'd already arranged to come to town for a couple weeks. We thought it would be nice to give her a few things so she didn't feel left out as we exchanged gifts.)

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear that things are better BD! : )

Cheers to all you folks. I'm in math class hating my life.