Check In- What Are You Doing?

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Finished painting the bedroom apart from a few bits of "misplaced" paint. Now the upstairs reeks of paint and downstairs of paint thinners.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Wednesday, and rainy, dreary weather matches my mood. And my health. But I'm going to try working anyway - not sure staying at home would help. Plus someone needs to hit a grocery store...

Ergh. This will Not Be Fun.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, that was the longest five hours I've worked in too long. But I got through it, apparently. (Did I? Well, I seem to be at home, so I guess I did. Gives you an idea of how alert I was...)

And I survived shopping, though the pickings were so slim on dinner options I'll probably have to go shopping again on Friday. Damn it... I hate grocery shopping, even when I'm not on the verge of hacking up a lung.

I may go lie down for a bit before it's time to start dinner (premade turkey burger patties with potato chips, 'cause I'm too lazy to even do fries.)

Within_is_without

Registered
Reaction score
Making signs for an feria Americana down on the beach. Huge holiday this week. Last week of great weather. Trying to make progress on clearing the house so we can pack bags and head out for Italy. Who knows what will happen then.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thursday, and I woke up this morning hoping it was Friday already.

Weather's all over the map again. The March lion didn't get the memo that it's mid-April, apparently.

Work existed.

Off I wander... need to find a distraction from the world.

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
I'm taking it easy... I have to or the best friend will whap me with a virtual frying pan.

My hockey team is in the playoffs for the first time since 2013... They went from 30th overall (last) in the standings at the end of last season and are now facing the top team in the league in the first round. They were not planning to be in this position for another 2 years, at least... But thanks to some great rookies and other players they've acquired, they're living it up in the playoffs.

I don't care if they get knocked out in round one or not. At least they made it this year.

Got something in the mail yesterday, something I preordered back in August 2016 - Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Grand Admiral Thrawn was my favorite antagonist of the SW universe and I'm so glad they are bringing him into the canon works.

It's been a decent week even if my allergies are going crazy... Spring has finally hit my end of Nova Scotia. Ugh.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Yay, Friday.

Also yay payday. We get paid every 2 weeks, which seems pretty standard these days. But it's also my first "proper" paycheck--my first one was short one day because of the blizzard when I didn't go in. So now I can get a much better sense of my new budget. Over double what I made at my old job (after 13 years there, sad), though of course it will work out to less after I'm eligible for insurance and all those sweet benis from full time employment.

And since it's Friday that means pizza for lunch. The place we order from is legit the best I've had in a very long time so always excited for that. And they always get one with pineapple on it! I've found my people. Pineapple pizza is best pizza.

And since it's also a holiday weekend I splurged and bought a huge bag of Easter candy, jammed it all into my candy jar and I'll bring that to work with me today. I want to make my drivers happy to come see me lol, I'm not above bribery with sugar and chocolate. The better my working relationship with them is (we employ ICs only, no in house drivers), the easier it will be for all of us.

It's a difference of opinion, really. My boss the ops manager has a much more us vs. them mentality, but I prefer the diplomatic solutions. So don't blame the driver (even when it's their fault, unless it's a colossal f up on their end), phrase questions in a way to avoid implicating them and triggering defense mode, and offer candy lol. With, not against. Slowly learning the code for certain things which helps a lot. For example, "driver dropped the blank" means they forgot to give it to him but they'll blame the driver in an effort to avoid being charged for making him turn around to go get it, or come back after his route is done.

Anyway, that's my thoughts for the morning.

Car is thus far behaving well despite being "injured", though still so annoying on the highway. I've been babying her a bit by not driving in the fast lane lol. Nothing sadder than a fast car reduced to the cruising lane. I don't drive unsafely nor do I rush, but a fast car and an open road is fun and I like to enjoy my commute when I have the chance.

And you know what, it's Friday so I'm going to splurge and have two coffees this morning. I don't usually because then I have to pee every 20 mins until lunch lol, but it's the end of the week and I need more fuel.

Oh, and my RAM did come in yesterday but I'm not installing it until tomorrow morning. I like to be awake when I perform delicate operations, like PC surgery lol.

Hope everyone else has a fine Friday too. Let's do this, one more day!

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Friday, my only other off day this week. Got paid. Going to get a much-needed haircut. Might go to the library to do some work, since it's usually quieter than at my apartment.

kalzandius

Registered
Reaction score
Sitting @ work on my birthday, still floating on the "just finished the last edit pass and sent it to the publisher" high. Poking around AW as a newbie.

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
Nursing a cold. I think all of my brains have been temporarily relocated to accommodate an insane amount of boogers.

glitterandbones

Registered
Reaction score
Sitting @ work on my birthday, still floating on the "just finished the last edit pass and sent it to the publisher" high. Poking around AW as a newbie.

Congratulations! I recently joined too. It's all still so overwhelming but everyone has been delightful so far :)

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website

Happy b-day, and congrats on submitting a story!

Nursing a cold. I think all of my brains have been temporarily relocated to accommodate an insane amount of boogers.

Brains never seem to be able to co-exist with mucus... no wonder the ancient Egyptians reportedly considered its main function to be mucus production.

Friday, and someone's cat is still playing with the weather dials - downpours to sunshine and back again, but never lingering in the middle long enough for a good rainbow.

I'm officially sick of the danged rain... heard a few days back that we've only had about 12 rain-free days since the start of the year. I'd call that generous.

Work was light. Got out early. Need to see if I can get some manner of lunch soon - the kitchen was occupied when I got home.

Reaction score
A Leafs fan eh?

Rooting for my Oilers over here but would love a Leafs upset over the Caps at the same time.

Gah! The playoffs are so awesome this year!

V.J. Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
A Leafs fan eh?

Rooting for my Oilers over here but would love a Leafs upset over the Caps at the same time.

Gah! The playoffs are so awesome this year!

The Oilers have a good team, I hope they do well this year. :)

It's a tad of a shock to see my boys in the playoffs. They weren't supposed to be there for at least another 2 years, but since they made it, their rookies like Matthews are getting some much needed experience.

I don't care if they make it past round one or not. They made it this year! :snoopy:

It is easy to see why the Caps were first overall though... Yikes. :e2thud:

It's a nice lazy Saturday for us... Hubby has the day off, so Son is ultra chipper, and even the cat seems to be happy. I'm not sure what we're doing, other than I'm not allowed touching any manuscripts today.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Saturday, and so far the weather looks suspiciously mild. I don't trust it anymore.

I got my traditional Saturday snooze-in, which is always a bonus, even if it came with oddball dreams. (Why would we be peeling potatoes at work? And why, for a moment as I woke up, did I feel guilty I hadn't cleaned up the peelings before "leaving" the dream?) Plans for today include working on that camp logo and doing a little more room-tidying. Also need to write in there somewhere...

And away I go.

V.J. Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
My prediction was wrong... The Leafs will be knocked out in FIVE games instead of four. They won last night! :snoopy:

We're going to visit my mom in law this afternoon. My son is insisting he sees Nanny and his youngest uncle. I guess he's planning to take his toy lightsabers too, he and Uncle E tend to have duels, which scares the dickens out of the cats and makes a ton of noise. Joy. :e2thud:

I wonder if Mom has finished reading my book yet... I hope she liked it.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
VJ - Hope your mother liked your book, too. (My mom won't read anything I write - I think she's sure she won't like it. I also don't write fluffy-bunny stuff. Though my dad actually read my first published story... that was a good moment in my life.)

Sunday, and mild weather persists. We're heading out later to the family Thing. I'll have my Kindle... and maybe my Nook...

The other day, after tidying my room and doing some logo-related doodling, I finally got Titan Quest Anniversary Edition from GOG working (had to update DirectX.) Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to import characters from TQ:Immortal Throne, meaning I may have lost all my progress... dang it. (It counts as logo research - the theme is ancient heroes, with a Greek/Roman bent. Yeah, that's it... logo research...)

Away I wander. Gotta get stuff ready to go. (My aunt has an unofficial "Little Free Library," so I'm gathering some already-reads and culls from the bookpile to offload.)

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Awake way too early again, without an alarm. But: 'tis a good thing. Am holiday, and staying with a friend right now. Where? Well, NH is a start. :D

s_nov

Registered
Reaction score
It's Monday, but one of my classes was canceled, so I'm just snooping around the internet before my next one. I turn 21 on Friday so I'm trying to mentally prepare for that fiasco.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's Monday, but one of my classes was canceled, so I'm just snooping around the internet before my next one. I turn 21 on Friday so I'm trying to mentally prepare for that fiasco.

Ah - 21. Big year, lots of changes. Has your exoskeleton molted yet? Sometimes it doesn't happen until after the wings emerge, but then it's a real pain. And it can take a few weeks for the acid glands to fully develop, so refrain from spitting on your enemies until then, though the new fangs should be effective right away. (Oh, wait - I'm thinking of 30... never mind... ;) )

Apparently, some time during the night, Sunday disappeared and Monday took its place. Suspicious, but no signs of foul play, and Monday's alibi checks out.

The weather's mild so far.

The family gathering went okay yesterday. Lots to eat, plus enough leftovers from lunch I didn't have to make dinner. That's always a plus in my book, though I did still have to wash dishes.

Anyway, I got myself a (loose) task list for today, so I'd best get started on that... just in time to be interrupted by relatives needing a ride to the store, I expect. (I wish they'd just say they needed to go, instead of playing the "Did you need to go anywhere? Are you sure? If so, could I ride along? I don't need anything, really... well, maybe one thing... or ten..." game.)

Last edited:

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Just made a birthday card for another niece. It's theme is a certain teenage wizard.