Check In- What Are You Doing?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Procrastinating on my day's story for Story a Day in May is not working so well. I just took a nap and dreamed about mermaids fighting muses or some such on a cruise ship but I don't know enough about either of those to make any sense with a story. Maybe I should go back to bed to try and get another idea ha ha.

Write_At_1st_Light

Writer of Nothingnesses
Registered
Reaction score
123 Pencilvania Ave, Writers Block, CA 90210
Website
www.DavidRedstone.com
Procrastinating on my day's story for Story a Day in May is not working so well. I just took a nap and dreamed about mermaids fighting muses or some such on a cruise ship but I don't know enough about either of those to make any sense with a story. Maybe I should go back to bed to try and get another idea ha ha.
No, mermaids fighting mouses on a cruise ship is a perfectly serviceable story!

See, mermaids like swimming through mazes of coral reefs and such and for years, everything was jake. Then mouses (also maze mavens) discovered these reef mazes and you just know a Maze Mashup was bound to ensue. It did, and got promptly ugly. The mermaids screamed "Eeeeek!" at the mouses but in that freakorama high-pitched mermaid language. That busted the mouses' eardrums and so, properly angrified, they swam into the mermaids' waist-length hair, thereby causing another roundy-go of "Eeeeeeek!"s under the sea. Then a cruise ship approached and wouldn't you know? A little boy fell offn the ship and a girl mermaid saved him and his brother became a regular comic on Second City and...

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Mr. Write, I think you've nailed it. I hereby bequeath my dream story prompt to you! :)

Sunwords

Registered
Reaction score
Not been here since long time and trying to find my way through all the forums here ...
We've had the first heat wave of the year, today it should get a little cooler, we hope.
And I look at my files waiting for editing - I want to get this first book out, but each time some bread job comes in my way when I want to get down to it. And as that is what pays the bills ... and feeds my cats!
Hope you can bear with my English, don't worry, it is not the language I write my books in.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to wake up.

It's been cold, overcast, and drizzling for days. Yesterday it snowed, and our high was 39*.

Bloody Hell. Wake up, Mother Nature! Bring out the sun, I need to open the windows. It smells like wet dog in here.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I was off shopping for something to wear to an upcoming wedding when I remembered the mauve dress in my closet that I wore to the last wedding I attended, so I went home. :)

I'll be glad to see the family, and I'll be even gladder to get back home and stay put for a while.

I'm home from my mini-vacation and feel strangely discombobulated. Like oh yeah, I remember this, it's my real life. Now where did I leave off? Guess I better have a nice glass of wine and wait for Dr. Phil to come on. Wait, did I really just admit that (the watching Dr. Phil, not the drinking in the middle of the day lol). :p
I watch Dr. Phil while I'm on the treadmill. Oh, that rhymes. How cute. Almost as cute as him holding his anorexic wife's hand as they leave the studio together, ad nauseam.

The first Kindle I had was a Fire. It was great, but the reason I switched to the Kindle Voyage is because despite buying the Fire for books I just used it for games and the like and never actually read anything on it like I'd planned to. Because I'm as easily distracted as a magpie in a mirror factory.

Plus there are some things I just prefer having a physical copy of for reasons unknown. Comics, manga, and I find that I always prefer any kind of non-fiction book to be a physical book. Preferably a large hardback.
I bought a Kindle so I could purchase books on the cheap. Now they cost as much as paper-backs so I only keep one or two books on it for when I have to read in the dark.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I plan to make coffee, write my story a day in May draft for the day, then go buy a semi-dressy outfit for an upcoming thing. Should be an easy-breezy day even if the sun keeps refusing to come out.

Last edited:

Write_At_1st_Light

Writer of Nothingnesses
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.DavidRedstone.com
Well, Mr. Write, I think you've nailed it. I hereby bequeath my dream story prompt to you! :)
I am honored. Also happy to step into a mermaid/muse logjam and proceed to...

Okay wait. It's not mouses but MUSES. Oh bloody hell, then never mind. I know little of muses other than a muse once bit my sister. No really!

Another layer of Wondrous Bureaucracy was dished out upon my Potential Employment Plate and so - you guessed it - I hain't working on this computer contract yet. Today I'll get my suits dry-cleaned instead, and continue my studies on the software packages the client is using.

Writing? Yeah, I'm going to proceed with my detective novel series, even if it has but a handful of readers. The main thing? Spent a helluva long time fashioning the characters and people like 'em. I like 'em. And I want to see what's up next for this crew...

But FIRST I've got to get my income-generating activity on track and firing hot, straight and true.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Well, yesterday was a selfish waste of time, right up to pre-ordering a signed copy of the last Temeraire book (B&N was offering signed hardcovers for the same price Amazon wanted for unsigned ones, so what the hey.) Nice to waste my own time for a change, without relatives doing it for me.

Today's another Drive Someone To An Appointment day, and it looks nice and sunny out there - probably for the last time in several days - so hopefully I can get a little walking in while waiting that out.

And off I wander...

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't feel like writing today. I think I will just go shopping. Yes. :)

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a warm day, one that reminded me of my favourite Simpsons episodes, Bart of Darkness. On my recording of it from 2009 is the Battlestar Galactica finale, not sure I will ever come to terms with that final series, or ever enjoy TV again. That and Try Calling destroyed my faith in Telly.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I don't feel like writing today. I think I will just go shopping. Yes. :)

Can you shop for decorations and flowering plants for me? :D
I'm supposed to be cleaning, doing yard work, and getting ready for my son's graduation party on Sunday.

All I want to do is curl up with a sketch pad, and design some new pieces for my armor. Or work on my cartoons.
*sigh* And when I actually have down time to do those things, I always seem to want to do something else.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
All I want to do is curl up with a sketch pad, and design some new pieces for my armor. Or work on my cartoons.
*sigh* And when I actually have down time to do those things, I always seem to want to do something else.

Sounds more or less like my brain... I'm not sure if it's a bad habit or a defense mechanism meant to prevent me from being hurt by how much I suck at what I like doing.

Well, today's appointment was cancelled at the last minute, so we wound up going down to the lake since we were all ready to go anyway. Since I didn't bring a tripod, the eagles showed up to taunt me. Six eagles in total - not double-counting. I did what I could with handheld, but long zoom's tricky even with a tripod. Jerks...

I also got the car vacuumed. And a new T-shirt arrived in the mail, which is always exciting.

Now I need to find something to do until it's time to start dinner. Not enough time to truly immerse in anything, yet too much time to sit and stare at the walls.

ETA: A couple pics from today: Great Blue Heron and Bald Eagles

Last edited:

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to pack a suitcase, iron a shirt, and the do whatever I want for the rest of the day. :)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm busy procrastinating on my Story a Day in May entry for today. :(

dragonfliet

Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm constructing an outline for a game, and hating every moment of it. I like to write the story as it goes along, and am fully a believer that you never know what you're going to write until you write it. So having to decide on the story before its written, and before I realize how important certain characters will make themselves, or how a twist will happen before I've even laid the groundwork for it, etc. is the worst. Oh well. Things can always be changed (well, a little bit)...

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, that wasn't fun... I forgot to check the time on my alarm clock last night, the upshot being I barely got myself out of the house in time for work. (Didn't help that I was up half the night listening to an annoying rodent...)

Work was worklike, as work is wont to be.

And I'm debating a replacement for my purse camera, whether it's worth an extra fifty bucks for a little more zoom power and slightly faster shutter speed or not. (Technically, my average-intelligence cell phone can take pictures, but only if I e-mail them to myself, which isn't always convenient. Plus it's just not something I think to do... and I got such good macros on the old purse cam, which I doubt the cell phone would do.)

Sunwords

Registered
Reaction score
Dragged myself to the laptop - as a workplace. In my mind a piece of short prose is rummaging and I try to finish my bread job stuff so I can start putting this piece together. That much, at least - wished I could manage to continue editing my manuscript, but this spring too many things came in my way and I barely manage keeping my work deadlines, so my own writing sits on the desktop looking reproachfully at me.

CapnJack

Registered
Reaction score
Right now? Listening to Disturbed, working on my WIP, and waiting to go to work.

And I'm talking with a friend about my WIP too.

- - - Updated - - -

In case you were wondering, the song is Indestructible.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@BD- Your bird pics were great. I'd definitely invest in the upgraded camera if you can swing it because it sounds like a serious interest.

I'm trying to get rid of my sinus headache.

Last edited:

Write_At_1st_Light

Writer of Nothingnesses
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.DavidRedstone.com
Day 4 of the Week That I'm Still Not Working Even Though I Kinda Thought I Woulda.

Doing this deal called "onboarding" for the (alleged) contract job. Ah haha. Big process, not the least of which is I gotta run out today to some clinic somewheres and have a TB test done! The hell izzat? Anyway if it comes up positive I'm going to move to Tombstone, Arizona, dress up as Doc Holliday and pose with tourists for that authentic Old West photograph everyone craves so much of.

Sure is different from when I joined the US Navy. For that, all they asked was if I'd ever had a dream of being smothered by my own earlobes. Nope, sir! "Then welcome aboard, meat - I mean, son! You've officially been onboarded into The Fleet!"

Last edited: