Bruised ribs and carrying stuff

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
This question is specific enough that I'm having a hard time finding search results, so I guess I need personal experiences.

I have a high school student who was hit by a car and bruised his ribs. He walks to school, about a mile one way. For people who have dealt with this kind of injury: is him wearing a backpack out of the question? Could he carry his books in a hand-held bag? In his arms? Is this just hopeless and he's going to have to get one of those dorky bags on wheels? (Been there.)

He has not been to the doctor and refuses to go (good at hiding stuff from his family), so getting a doctor's note allowing him accommodations isn't an option.

Mark HJ

Cat whisperer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
markhuntleyjames.wordpress.com
My grandmother got hit by a bus - apparently much safer than being hit by a car because the big, flat front helps to spread the load.

It sounds like your character has a milder injury since my grandmother was in hospital for several days, and then required weeks of care and convalescence with my parents.

I have a faint memory that she may have actually cracked few ribs - but this was 30+ years ago so I may have muddled the details.

From what I recall of that, a back-pack would probably not be feasible.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
How does he know he bruised his ribs and not broken any?

Reason I ask, I had a rather tough uncle. (He had one arm.) Earlier in his life he had a few motorcycle accidents, seldom saw a doctor, and got pretty good at 'self-diagnosing' himself, or so he thought. (He eventually lost an arm in an accident.)

Later in life he fell off a ladder, said he'd only bruised his ribs and sort of hobbled around in pain for a few days. Eventually he had difficulty breathing so the family forced him to go to the hospital and he had broken two ribs.

So how does anyone distinguish between bruised and broken without seeing a medical professional?

(Could he go to a free clinic, lie about his name, use a fake ID or something?)

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
I got kicked in the chest by a horse. Caused major bruising. Carrying books or anything across chest was painful but using a back pack was not, relatively speaking. Course that was just me and my injury, others may be different.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
It would depend on exactly where the bruised area was and how badly bruised. I don't know how badly my ribs have been bruised, but when I broke a rib I could lift and carry things just fine, as long as nothing bumped against the place where the break was. The other things that were difficult were laughing and sneezing. Similarly, when I have bruised ribs only direct contact bothered it. I'm glad no one decided to slap me on the back.

Last edited:

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I had bruised ribs once and could still carry things. Mainly it hurt to take deep breaths, cough or sneeze.