• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

I think I have lost my Passion

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestoryangel

I wake up every morning and tell myself “Mica You Have to Write today!!!” And I do; I sit down and knock out anywhere between 3-10 pages but then this other voice pops into my head and it always starts right after I write a juicy sex scene and that voice screams “Now what?”
You see I have lost my faith in love so don’t know where to go from there. My personal life and personal experiences have gotten in the way of me being creative.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!!

[quote: What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger I hope!!!!
thestoryangel.blog

Nateskate

It's all in the heart

"I write a juicy sex scene and that voice screams “Now what?”

I'm not quite certain what your Genre is, but I'll presume it is romance. And it sounds like your situation is that the reality of life and your vision of romance aren't on the same page.

And so, you doubt your faith in "Romance", or feel hypocritical for writing it, when the ending never seems "real" to me?

I wouldn't call that "writer's block", but "heart-trouble", in the sense of your emotional heart, better phrased, "A troubled heart".

I think all of humanity understands that, and this needs to be your motivation, not to capture your reality, or everyone's reality, but what we long for and thirst for.

In a sense, a Romantic passage, is meant to be as much about hope as it is about anything, and hope has to do with what we don't have, but long for.

As far as the "emotional space", at times, we can all feel unloved, misunderstood, unappreciated. And none of that may be the case. In reality, we are looking for "that person", in "that setting" to give us validation and approval. And so, any other validation or approval just isn't cutting the mustard.

I happen to believe in love, and that romantic love is not the norm for everyone, but always the ideal that we long for, strive for, and cling to when we've experienced it.

Hey, if there aren't any princes swimming in your pool, find another pool.

thestoryangel

Re: It's all in the heart

Thank you for your impute and you might be a little right when t comes to heart-troubles but to honest how do you go about not sounding corny or too mushy or too unrealistic?:\ :\

eddiei

I think the key is to explore that "now what?"

There is always something, whether it is boredom, apathy, excitement, etc. Explore it, play with it, turn it into something that the reader can feel.

Just my 2 cents

Nateskate

"Thank you for your impute and you might be a little right when t comes to heart-troubles but to honest how do you go about not sounding corny or too mushy or too unrealistic?"

People express love differently. Somethings work for other people that my not work for me. In a novel, I like people to tease each other, test each other, and never to wear their hearts on their sleaves. In a sense, it is feeling each other out, and trying to read the other person.

When you get two people who are both holding back, but interested, and trying to see what the other person is made of, I find that most entertaining.

It's sort of a dangerous dance, where two people push away, but also feel drawn to the warmth of the same flame.

Even if vulnerable, you don't want a character to appear emotionally needy, at least not the protagonist.

Honestly, in real life, a certain mix of confidence and vulnerability is very attractive. But too much of one or the other, and the balance is thrown off.

People like confidence without arrogance, and vulnerability without clingy neediness. Honestly, some people think you are born "open" or "confident", but those are traits that can be developed.

kevacho

Life is strange. Sometimes it's beautiful and wonderful and good... sometimes its ugly, hard, and bad.

It's okay to lose faith sometimes. It happens to us all. It has happened to me. Just don't give up on love. Granted, when love is wrong it can be the worst thing of all time, as if someone was slowly killing you, but when it's right... it is the blood that flows through you and the heart that pumps it. It is life itself.

I tell people that to find that unique person who will challenge and accept you, more often than not, you have to swim through a lake full of feces... just to get to the other side.

Stay the fight.

Don't give up.

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

"If you can't find love… there's always coffee.";)
;)

detante

Site link removed per request of other site's Webmaster

This article is not for the faint of heart, but if you truly are in a crisis about whether to quit or to fight the good fight, read on.

Jen

Last edited by a moderator:

Kallahan

Try writing something different, if all you write is romance you'll burn yourself out. Broaden your horizons, expand you mind, use cliches like fan fic writer!

Jamesaritchie

If you've lost your faith in love, then write about losing your faith in love. It's writing about the way you really feel and think and believe that makes for good fiction.

SeanDSchaffer

Jamesaritchie said:
If you've lost your faith in love, then write about losing your faith in love. It's writing about the way you really feel and think and believe that makes for good fiction.

Jamesaritchie has a great point here, if I may be so bold. What's on your mind? Jot it down. I noticed you push yourself quite a bit. Maybe you're pushing a little bit too hard. I'd say if your writing is suffering because of what you write, do what these other fine writers have suggested and write something else. Someone once said that it can burn you out to write only in one genre. (For instance, I claim Fantasy as my genre, but I also have thought I wouldn't mind working on a romance or two because I also enjoy writing steamy stuff.)

Of course, it's up to you whether or not you continue writing. But the way I personally look at it is that, if you've spent a long time working on your craft, it would be a bit of a waste to quit.

Another thing you may think of is to take a break from writing. Take off say, a month or two, and relax. I say this from experience, as resting up for a short period of time like this does indeed refresh my own imagination. I would highly recommend doing this as a possible way of helping with your creativity.

These are just thoughts, but they've helped me in the past.

Have a great week!
:Thumbs:

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
thestoryangel said:
You see I have lost my faith in love so don’t know where to go from there. My personal life and personal experiences have gotten in the way of me being creative.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!!

Keep writing every day, thestoryangel. If you're asking yourself "what now?" maybe you should be writing about those personal experiences. Get them on paper, out of your system and off your mind, so you can move onto something else.

Life and what we experience can turn out to be some of the better writing we do.

Keep your chin up and write on! Here's a big
EmoteHug2.gif
to help get you back in the mood.
smile.gif

Good luck.

Joanne

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
Losing one's faith.

:hi: Sometimes losing one's faith in love can be a blessing because you can sit down and write angst stories and poems and then suddenly it hits you that writing about it you figured out what went wrong with the love question in the first place. You know the old saying it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. You have had this experience and you are warned about the next time some moon eyed person comes along. Maybe practice will make perfect. So take time out and don't despair it may come again.

Status
Not open for further replies.