• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Music Suggestions for a heavy scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the right place. Mods, feel free to move.

I've gotten into using music when I write. I'm trying to write a heavy scene, but I don't have enough powerful music. Can you guys suggest me something that sounds like Swim by Jack's Mannequin, Sleep by My Chemical Romance, or maybe even Landlocked Blues by Bright Eyes? I'm into discovering new music anyway. :D Thanks guys.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Lol, that was indeed heavy.

A list of some emotionally heavy songs from my own playlist (which does include some My Chemical Romance, but I'll leave those off, as I suspect you'll have found them). Some stuff that's pretty old on this list (because I'm old), while other stuff from this century at least.

Time of Dying by Three Days Grace
Last Resort by Papa Roach
Dark Arts by Man Man
Breathe by Darkwater
Black Blade by Blue Oyster Cult
Unknown Tongue by Blue Oyster Cult
Eclipse and Brain Damage by Pink Floyd
Echoes by Pink Floyd
I Wish I Was by Gamma
Locomotive Breath by Jethro Tull
Throw Down a Line by Jeff Beck
Paranoid Android by Radiohead
Numb by Linkin Park
Paint it Black by The Rolling Stones
This big Hush by Shriekback
Dream On by Depeche Mode
The Thrill is Gone by B.B. King

Many different styles here, so take or leave as per your tastes, of course :)

Last edited:

Layla Lawlor

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Unsavory

Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest caution when writing to music. I find that when I listen to an emotionally heavy song, it makes my writing seem much more profound than it actually is. Readers aren't going to have the same soundtrack, and without the good ol' emotional manipulation that is music, your writing might just come off as melodramatic.

That said, if you're going to do it, you're going to do it and my recommendation is Sentimental by Porcupine Tree.

stumblebum

nope
Registered
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to either go post-rock: Russian Circles, Explosions in the Sky, Red Sparrowes; or old school orchestral. Rachmaninoff is my man when it comes to moving pieces.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
If I play music while I write, it's going to be a TV or movie soundtrack, or else classical music. I don't listen to music with lyrics because it's too distracting. I don't want to be thinking about another story (and every song tells a story, that's what lyrics are). That's why film soundtracks are so great for writing. They can put you in the right mood, help you imagine the scene. And they can help dissociate your mind, unlocking your creativity and muse, so you can write without over-analyzing the scene. (I don't listen to music while editing or revising. That requires a different part of your brain, so music doesn't help much.)

Here's the soundtracks I listen to most often. Which one I pick will depend on the kind of scene I'm writing. Some are soft and romantic, others feel more sci-fi or fantasy. Some are action-packed, others are dark and edgy. Pretty much any scene I want to write, I can find a suitable score to go along with it.

• Titanic
  • The Village
  • The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers
    [*]The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    [*]Doctor Who
    , Series 1-4
  • Torchwood
  • The Phantom of the Opera (Violin/cello/piano renditions, no singing.)
  • Star Wars Episode II: The Clone Wars
  • Beauty and the Beast (A 1980s TV show with amazing music)
  • Firefly & Serenity
  • Star Trek (Lots to choose from here!)
  • Somewhere in Time

There's plenty of others, but those are my favorites. There are soundtracks for many, many movies and TV shows, so if you like the music, do a search and see if a soundtrack was produced.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I don't write to music and it depends what sort of emotion you're after, but I love Kate Bush's This Woman's Work for getting me into a tragic sort of mood.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't usually write with music on because I tend to end up howling along to the lyrics, but when I was in the throes of NaNo this year, I sometimes turned to movie and game soundtracks to keep me going. My favorites are soundtracks from:

Skyrim (seriously, I can't listen to the "rah rah rah" without wanting to spill some blood in my MS :D)
Cloud Atlas Sextet (this one still gets me teary-eyed)
Yiruma (just what I need for the soppy scenes)
Halo 4
Dragon Age 2

Oh, and latest addition: the Interstellar theme. Guhhh, so much feels!

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't usually write with music on because I tend to end up howling along to the lyrics, but when I was in the throes of NaNo this year, I sometimes turned to movie and game soundtracks to keep me going. My favorites are soundtracks from:

Skyrim (seriously, I can't listen to the "rah rah rah" without wanting to spill some blood in my MS :D)
Cloud Atlas Sextet (this one still gets me teary-eyed)
Yiruma (just what I need for the soppy scenes)
Halo 4
Dragon Age 2

Oh, and latest addition: the Interstellar theme. Guhhh, so much feels!

thepicpic approves (+10)

The Halo 4 soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard. Revival pretty much has my major antagonist written all over it. But I'm also partial to bits of Mass Effect 2 (Suicide Mission makes even the most mundane actions seem mighty), Avengers Assemble and, at the moment, the Dragon Age Inquisition theme.

HUH! HAH! HUH!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest caution when writing to music. I find that when I listen to an emotionally heavy song, it makes my writing seem much more profound than it actually is. Readers aren't going to have the same soundtrack, and without the good ol' emotional manipulation that is music, your writing might just come off as melodramatic.

I would guess that writing to music is more about the writing than about the reader.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
Muse. Their music is meant for battle! :evil And sex! :evil And for those mysteries in between. I'm a huge fan and their music is my inspiration.

I try and listen to them mostly before I write since I can't help but sing and daydream when I hear their songs.

Here are some listen-worthy tracks for epic scenes:

1) Newborn
2) Take a Bow
3) Butterflies & Hurricanes
4) Megalomania
5) Uprising
6) Supremacy
7) Sing for Absolution
8) Stockholm Syndrome
9) United States of Eurasia
10) Resistance
11) MK Ultra
12) Unnatural Selection
13) Knights of Cydonia
14) Muscle Museum
15) Microcuts

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Though they're nothing like what you're asking for, I thought the classic suggestions for heavy scenes were "Adagio for Strings" and "Lux Aeternia", though those may have been used in parody so often that they're hard to take seriously anymore.

Paramite Pie

Registered
Reaction score
As far as emotionally raw music goes, do you have any themes in mind or does it matter?

Nightwish can have some very emotional (and dramatic!!) music. This song is heavily inspired by Poe it's called 'The Poet and the Pendulum'. It's about everything from writer's block & the break up of a band to both struggling with & even longing for death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q03eIQPA-Wo

Enjoy. It's from an album called 'Dark Passion Play'. A 'passion play' is a play about the crucifixion so I'm guessing a 'dark' one is something more godless or a death without hope/salvation??

Last edited:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really know the songs you mentioned, but I've recently gotten into the band Kamelot, and quite a few of their songs are dark and emotionally heavy.

One that really gets to me is Love You to Death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BwQGYDLXg&list=PLCeHQ5NOEXNbWzPTesClRbFFORjP9kwCH&index=3

Also: The Haunting, Ghost Opera, and many others.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of metal they are, but it's very listenable. It's not crazy heavy or full of screams or anything like that.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score

So does it work the opposite way, in if I'm listening to something decidedly not intense at all (I'm thinking like Tycho or something) while writing something intense, it will actually come off as more profound than when I'm writing it?

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Wow guys, thanks. These are all sweet suggestions. I'm going to have a badass playlist now. And for those of you suggesting movie/videogame sound tracks, bring it on. I like that stuff too.

Unsavory, I hear what you're saying. But it's only the first draft, and there's no way I'd let a first draft out into the world. That's where editing comes in. :D I never use music when I edit.

laazy

Epic procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Wow guys, thanks. These are all sweet suggestions. I'm going to have a badass playlist now. And for those of you suggesting movie/videogame sound tracks, bring it on. I like that stuff too.

Unsavory, I hear what you're saying. But it's only the first draft, and there's no way I'd let a first draft out into the world. That's where editing comes in. :D I never use music when I edit.

I'll suggest the soundtrack from attack on titan. It has anything you could ever wish for, sad, dramatic, powerful, epic, badass and all those other fancy words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-xXspUh1ro&list=PLjF1HjKekCE4jD47y9E3tTtZ_OotiIYg4&index=20

Status
Not open for further replies.