fantasy setting with muslim terminology, is it OK?

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't sure whether to put this in here or in the POC section of the forums. Mods, please move if it belongs elsewhere.

-----

My book is based in a Sahara-like landscape. I've based the culture around Ancient Egyptians and the modern Tuareg people (nomadic Sahara travelers). What I'm not sure about is if I should use certain terminology to describe pieces of clothing or if I should describe what it is instead.

Men wear turbans when traveling, while women are often seen wearing a hijab (head scarf). Are these terms strictly linked to muslim culture or would it seem acceptable to use them in a non-muslim fantasy setting? The alternative is that I could say that the men and women wrap a cloth around their head and faces to protect from the sand/sun and not specifically mention turban or hijab.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Turbans are not specific to any particular culture or religion, though certain ones are known for wearing them. But hijabs are fairly specific to Islam - non-Muslim women who wear a headscarf don't generally call them hijabs.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
So, I should use the term 'headscarf' instead, right? Thanks for your input!