Scotch recommendations?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
On the cheaper end there's Johnny Walker Black label, Red label is peaty. I'm told Blue label is very good if you can find it but is about 8-10 times or more the cost. Obviously I'm not much of a fan and undoubtedly some here will insist that it isn't real scotch being polymalt instead of single malt, but whatever. I won't buy a bottle of distilled beverages unless I can try a sample first. Chivas is drinkable. I haven't had scotch in a few decades. It would theoretically be safe with celiac disease, but I don't like it well enough to be willing to risk it.

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Gettin' close to THAT TIME of year again...

...is anyone here familiar with an Irish whisky called "Writer's Tears"?

(also picked up the hubby some whisky stones to chill for an early Xmas gift)

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Ha - I actually had someone from here on AW recommend it once to me via PM so I went out and got a bottle - tried and liked it, but forgot about it shortly thereafter because I was gifted a few Single malts in succession, so it got pushed to the back of the booze table. I'm about halfway through the Writer's tears now as we speak because it reappeared after the single malts were depleted.

I am enjoying it immensely for being the blended that it is (my palette has adjusted to single malts, so becoming something of a snob there...lol)

Still I'll give a +1 to the Writers Tears - fairly inexpensive too if I recall (around $50 a liter)

The whiskey stones are cool. I've also grown fond of the large globes of ice from a silicone form I found on eBay for like $3 to give a nice chill without diluting the taste much.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
We do have a ice globe mold already (had silicone, HATED the aftertaste it left, using a plastic one now that that leaves no aftertaste). I know the whisky stones was something the Hubby has been looking for though.

And, given this site, the name "Writer's Tears" was too good to pass up. ;) Had the in-laws get me a bottle when they did a Binny's run in IL since Cleveland is horrible when it comes to getting certain boozes. :p

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Gettin' close to THAT TIME of year again...

...is anyone here familiar with an Irish whisky called "Writer's Tears"?

(also picked up the hubby some whisky stones to chill for an early Xmas gift)

I've got some in the cupboard. Not a huge fan of it, despite a few awards mentioned on its label, but the price is relatively low and the novelty factor is lovely. The packaging is also gorgeous.

Also keep in mind that my favourite whiskey is Jack Daniels (usually mixed with Irn Bru Xtra, a Scottish diet soda) so my tastes are not widely recognised as reputable. ;)

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I was thinking: heresy to mix Jack with soda, much less diet soda!

MM

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Whisky is from Irland, there are a few Irish whiskeys that use peat but most don't and none of the popular brands uses peat. So Irish whiskeys are a lot smoother than Scotch. Bushmills and Jameson are widely available. Both are smooth and pleasant to drink if you're a whisky drinker.