Scotch recommendations?

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
The Beloved Hubby's become a fan of Scotch and I'm looking to give him a bottle of something new (yet reasonably priced) this Christmas.

He doesn't like Scotches that are on the smokey or peaty end.

His usual suspects are Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, and Glenlivit.

He prefers drinking Scotch on the rocks rather than neat.

Any ideas on what I could have him try? He's not into Macallans.

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
I loved the Glenfarclas that I've had, but it is (was - this was the 25, bought in 2001) on the peaty end of things.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jura. It's one of the lighter, less smoky, scotches.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
My husband is getting into Scotch, too. I don't care for it, so I can't recommend one to you. But does your husband have glasses for it? I just got my husband these for Christmas:

Glencairn whisky glasses

They're supposed to make the aroma come alive and increase the complexity of taste.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Strathisla 12 and Longmorn 16 are standard Speysiders, which have the same profile as the standard "Glens-" that he drinks but are a lot more flavorful. They're around $100. If you want him to stretch his palate, Arran 10 is reasonably priced at $50.

I'd recommend getting him to try it without the ice. Ice ruins the flavors.

And I definitely echo c.e.lawson's recommendation about the Glencairn glasses. They're incredibly classy and fabulous to drink out of. They're all hubby and I ever use! (Not to mention they're danged sexy.)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'd recommend getting him to try it without the ice. Ice ruins the flavors.

It changes the flavours. As does having a drop of water with it; or a single cube of ice as opposed to the full rocks.

I'd encourage drinking Scotch in different ways to find your preference, but if rocks is your preference, that's fine.

Craig McNeil

Sitting in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CraigMcNeil.com
Ice cools the whisky and, in my opinion, closes down the flavours. Whisky should be served at room temperature...

Anyways, someone has already recommended Jura which is a very nice whisky. It's a bit sweet for me that's due to it being marketed to women. Very easy to drink though. I'm a big fan of Highland Park which is an Orkney whisky. Also very easy to drink.

Seeing as your husband (the OPs) already has favourite brands, why not have a look at different ages? i.e. bog standard Glenmorangie is 12 years old. You can get 18 year old stuff and older.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
It changes the flavours. As does having a drop of water with it; or a single cube of ice as opposed to the full rocks.

I'd encourage drinking Scotch in different ways to find your preference, but if rocks is your preference, that's fine.

As far as personal preference goes: indeed. Many of us in the industry believe ice causes a chemical reaction which does damage the whisky (especially the older ones) and its flavors. That said, one can enjoy their whisky anyway they choose--including cooking with it.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I must confess that at this time of year I like my standard not-terribly-high-quality whiskey with a candy cane in it.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Well, he tried the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 Year Old Single Malt Scotch this past Thanksgiving at his folks, but wasn't too impressed by it (He likes the standard 10yr old just fine). Currently in our liquor cabinet is the Glenlivet 12yr old Single Malt Scotch.

Those swanky tumblers are definitely going to be part of whatever I get him now though. :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Glenlivet 12-year is a quite respectable lighter Scotch, and not badly priced. I actually am a fan of the smoky peaty things like Laphroaig and Talisker, but I like variety too. Other possibilities might be Cragganmore or Highland Park, which as I recall sit somewhere between the very peaty and the very light Scotches. I haven't had it in a while, but I recall being impressed with the silky smoothness of Highland Park.

caw

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Tumblers have been gotten.

Now, what, if anything, can folks tell me about these Scotches?

Tomatin
Speyburn
Auchentoshan

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chivas Regal is one of my old faves. And classy gift bottles too!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
the brand doesn't really matter to me, so long as the scotch or whatnot allows me to escape my misery and put on a happy face for the holidays :)

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I can't say anything about the first two, but Auchentoshan is a nice light whisky. The classic version has a floralish honey taste, although not overly complex. If he enjoys Glenlivet he'll probably like Auchentoshan classic. Auchentoshan Three Wood is also good, but very different (also more expensive). It tastes like nuts, wood and berries.

RobLineberger

Registered
Reaction score
Stay away from Ardbeg Single Islay Malt Scotch. Unless you like drinking campfires. I am not even kidding, it is that strong. Oddly enough, a splash of water is recommended with this one to cut the smokiness.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Stay away from Ardbeg Single Islay Malt Scotch. Unless you like drinking campfires. I am not even kidding, it is that strong. Oddly enough, a splash of water is recommended with this one to cut the smokiness.
I like Ardbeg, but if smoke is not your thing, you definitely don't want this one. In fact, you probably should avoid all Ilays. I'm not aware of one that's not smoky/peaty.

I'll third or fourth the Highland Park. I haven't had it for a while, but I remember it as being quite good. If you're interested in a blend, Chivas 18 is quite lovely without being all that smoky/peaty.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
What a great lot of suggestions! I like smokey, but the honey notes of the Famous Grouse blend intrigue me. Some have said that it is blended with Macallan, so of course I'm curious about it.

My son gave me a 15 year old Glenlivet for Christmas last year, and as much as I enjoyed it, it didn't resonate with me.

I'm intrigued by the Highland Park and might try it if I come into a bit of a windfall. Or ask hubby to buy it for my birthday!