• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

"Absolution" as a word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've done some googling around, but even dictionaries and wiki don't seem to want to agree on the subject. All sites I found while trying to google the specific question were linked to religion.

It's a simple question too: how close is absolution in the meaning to forgiveness in a religion-free context?

And does it make most people think of Christian God, or has the meaning drifted fully into other parts of life nowadays? Does it feel different than forgiveness to you?

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
For me, it does have strong connotations of the church, but not so strongly that I would object to see it used in another context.

A quick Google found this in Merriam Webster online:

<the jury's verdict of “not guilty” was absolution in the eyes of the law, but the verdict would always be “guilty” in the court of public opinion>

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I didn't even know that absolution referenced religion. From what I've seen poking around the web though, the religious related meaning is only one definition of the word.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's fine to use it without religious context.

StephanieZie

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't automatically make me think of the Christian religion, or any religion, but I am not a religious person, so that could be why.

How close is it in meaning to "forgiveness"? Close, but they're different, IMO. To forgive, to me, means "I see your sins and I love you anyway". To absolve carries the connotations that sins are obliterated, washed away. There is nothing to forgive because the transgression no longer exists.

Absolve also sounds more formal. I would expect a government, or business, or church to "absolve" an individual, whereas a close friend or loved one might "forgive".

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
I thought of religion, but I wouldn't blink at seeing it used in a non-religious sense.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
To absolve carries the connotations that sins are obliterated, washed away. There is nothing to forgive because the transgression no longer exists.
I agree with this. To me, absolution is something that happens after you atone for your transgression.

The person you wronged grants you absolution when they consider you to have worked off your debt. In contrast, they grant you forgiveness when they choose to not pursue the debt anymore.

Last edited:

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
Alright. Thank you all very much, cleared up everything that was still murky to me. Have a lovely day.

Status
Not open for further replies.