dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If you'd ask me for how long I've been here, my best guess would be around fourteen days. I tried to keep track in the beginning, but it was hard to know whether I started counting at day one or day three or day 255, since I didn't know for how long I had been unconscious. I just decided to start at one.
I'm willing to read on to find out where here is and who the narrator is, though reader comments above resonate with me also.

The knife, ever so swift to deliver such a clean cut, dripped warm with the blood of the man and woman who were parents to the now orphaned child. This particular night was cold, the kind of night where one would walk down an empty street filled with broken glass and shadows cast by the buzzing light above as it flickered towards deaths precipice, as if to reflect the night itself. These distinct shadows homed the reverence of the reaper himself, siphoning the calamitous souls in a Caulfieldian essence.
Sorry, this avalanche of words buried me, I just disconnected. Maybe something simpler could work better for this story.

-Derek

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
If you'd ask me for how long I've been here, my best guess would be around fourteen days. I tried to keep track in the beginning, but it was hard to know whether I started counting at day one or day three or day 255, since I didn't know for how long I had been unconscious. I just decided to start at one.

Interesting start. I agree with mrsmg, I don't think you need to use all three sentences to cover the same notion of passing time, but I would read on.

The knife, ever so swift to deliver such a clean cut, dripped warm with the blood of the man and woman who were parents to the now orphaned child. This particular night was cold, the kind of night where one would walk down an empty street filled with broken glass and shadows cast by the buzzing light above as it flickered towards deaths precipice, as if to reflect the night itself. These distinct shadows homed the reverence of the reaper himself, siphoning the calamitous souls in a Caulfieldian essence.

I like my prose rich, but this is too overwritten for me, especially sentence 2 & 3.

recoveringandroid

Registered
Reaction score
Short:

The first rule of fairies: If you see one, think happy thoughts. Or if you can’t manage happy, at the very least try for tranquil. Don’t think about the horrifying stories you may have read.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
The first rule of fairies: If you see one, think happy thoughts. Or if you can’t manage happy, at the very least try for tranquil. Don’t think about the horrifying stories you may have read.
Cute, made me smile, I'd read on.

-Derek

Tristann

Purportedly hobbitish.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Chiara,

It's and intriguing opening that has me asking questions, always good! However, I do agree with other commenters that have suggested moving on from the passage of time a little bit quicker.

Maybe the three sentences could be condensed to one along the lines of: "I don't know how long I'd been here when I started counting, but since then my best guess would be around fourteen days." Then you could show the reader where they are or why they're there straight away.

Tris

Tristann

Purportedly hobbitish.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey android,

This is so playful and clever. It promises some dark humour so I would definitely read on.

Tris.

Tristann

Purportedly hobbitish.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey nycepter,

There' a lot to like in these three sentences, but there's also a lot just in general. To me it almost feels like each one deserves a paragraph of its own, so you can unpack what's happening and give specific actions and images more room to breathe. I hope that makes sense.

Tris

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Short:

It seems like kind of an interesting concept, but I think this would work better shown rather than told. As is, this opening doesn’t pull me in to want to read more.

Tristann

Purportedly hobbitish.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Here's my attempt, from a WIP:

Haigen sat cross-legged on an ashen beach, watching waves lap at the fractured wood scattered along the shoreline. An untied shoe caught his attention and he started to laugh. His snorts and whoops grew louder, wilder, until the cold pain spreading out from his side stole his breath.

Tris

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Short:

The only major change I might make with this is to combine sentences one and two - "The first rule of fairies: If you see one, think happy thoughts -- or at least, try for tranquil." That way, you have an additional sentence to talk about what happens if you think the wrong thoughts ...

recoveringandroid

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Haigen sat cross-legged on an ashen beach, watching waves lap at the fractured wood scattered along the shoreline. An untied shoe caught his attention and he started to laugh. His snorts and whoops grew louder, wilder, until the cold pain spreading out from his side stole his breath.

Tris

I like the 1st sentence and the 3rd sentence, but the middle with the shoe could do with a little more detail--is his shoe untied, or is there one tangled in the debris? Is it just off to the side somewhere or perhaps perched ludicrously to make him laugh? Or is it just the shoe itself that causes this reaction? I'd read on, though!

Tristann

Purportedly hobbitish.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey android,

I like the 1st sentence and the 3rd sentence, but the middle with the shoe could do with a little more detail--is his shoe untied, or is there one tangled in the debris? Is it just off to the side somewhere or perhaps perched ludicrously to make him laugh? Or is it just the shoe itself that causes this reaction? I'd read on, though!

Thanks for the comment. Hehe, yes, that sentence needs a lot more clarity. How about: A footless shoe, bobbing on the water, caught his attention and he started to laugh.

Would that make more sense? I'm trying to show the character is in shock after an accident, thus the strange behaviour.

Tris

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm trying to show the character is in shock after an accident, thus the strange behaviour.
I kinda got that and I would have read on without any changes, to find out how the ship got wrecked (I'm guessing), just how injured Haigen is, if anyone else survived, etc. Curiosity tickled.

-Derek

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Tris

I think that if the story started closer to why the shoe is funny, and then went into the description of where and how he was sitting, that the opening would have a better hook for readers.

Tristann

Purportedly hobbitish.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Yeah I think that reads much better!

Excellent, thank you!

I kinda got that and I would have read on without any changes, to find out how the ship got wrecked (I'm guessing), just how injured Haigen is, if anyone else survived, etc. Curiosity tickled.

Thanks! And you guessed right :D

I think that if the story started closer to why the shoe is funny, and then went into the description of where and how he was sitting, that the opening would have a better hook for readers.

It might not be quite what you were thinking, but do you think this would work better?
A footless shoe bobbed among the floating pieces of fractured wood, rising and falling as if attempting to walk on its own. Haigen stared at it for a moment, then started to laugh. His snorts and whoops grew louder, wilder, until the cold pain spreading out from his side stole his breath.

Tris

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

It might not be quite what you were thinking, but do you think this would work better?
A footless shoe bobbed among the floating pieces of fractured wood, rising and falling as if attempting to walk on its own. Haigen stared at it for a moment, then started to laugh. His snorts and whoops grew louder, wilder, until the cold pain spreading out from his side stole his breath.

Tris

I like this one better than your previous opener - enough to read on - but I think you could easily lose "footless." Instead of being drawn into Haigen's situation, I got waylaid wondering why the detail of the shoe being unoccupied was important enough to point up.

Tristann

Purportedly hobbitish.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey mrsmig,

I like this one better than your previous opener - enough to read on - but I think you could easily lose "footless." Instead of being drawn into Haigen's situation, I got waylaid wondering why the detail of the shoe being unoccupied was important enough to point up.

That's a really good point, in the new version 'shoeless' is redundant and doesn't fit the sentence. Thanks!

Tris

Chiara Nova

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all your great feedback! I agree with all your comments and I'm struggling to get it just right, but your comments help me set the story in the right direction.

Chiara Nova

Registered
Reaction score
Short:

I like this. I agree with Tristann on how this promises some darkness which would make me read on, though I also agree with Denevius that this could be better shown than told. I think the use of the word Or in the second sentence breaks the flow of the story, I'd suggest getting rid of it. Maybe show us something of those horrifying stories in the third sentence, a glimpse would be enough. All in all, I'm curious to see what happens next and I would read on.

Chiara Nova

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Excellent, thank you!

Thanks! And you guessed right :D

Tris

I think this opener is better than the previous one. It's quicker to draw you into the story, whereas with the first opener I was not as compelled to keep on reading. I do agree with mrsmig that footless is redundant here. If there were still a (legless) foot in that shoe, however, that's something I would want to know. Great improvement :)

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Hi, everyone. My first three for a dark fantasy are at the bottom of this post.

Nicely descriptive. These lines set the scene, a conflict, and show characterization. I feel as if the inciting incident is close.

Nitpicks: The comma splice (moment, then) bothers me in an opening line, but I understand most readers would accept it. I agree with the others about "footless".

--------

Dumping earth on a body isn’t enough to bury the death. The people of Shades Hollow know this, which is why they burn everyone who doesn’t want to turn vympir.
They bury the rest under two feet of earth.

Last edited:

Tristann

Purportedly hobbitish.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Nitpicks: The comma splice (moment, then) bothers me in an opening line, but I understand most readers would accept it. I agree with the others about "footless".

I think this opener is better than the previous one. It's quicker to draw you into the story, whereas with the first opener I was not as compelled to keep on reading. I do agree with mrsmig that footless is redundant here. If there were still a (legless) foot in that shoe, however, that's something I would want to know. Great improvement :)

Thanks so much for the comments :D I'll loose the 'footless' and the comma (I'm terrible for the extra commas hehe).

Tris

Tristann

Purportedly hobbitish.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey aspirit,

Dumping earth on a body isn’t enough to bury the death. The people of Shades Hollow know this, which is why they burn everyone who doesn’t want to turn vympir.
They bury the rest under two feet of earth.

This is an interesting start that instantly sets up a twist on what the reader might expect from a vampire story, suggesting that becoming one might be an open choice in Shades Hollow. I'm not sure about the first sentence though, as with the wording how it is you have 'dumping earth' once and 'bury' twice in quite a small space.

Tris

MichaelC

Registered
Reaction score
An elderly woman sipped bubble tea from a plain, white foam cup. A smile ran across her face as the tea moved over her lips and into her belly, warming the soul. The white mattress of her stretcher was firm and uncomfortable, and the chiming of alarm monitors caused a constant annoyance, but the look on the woman's face revealed that her tea made all of the annoyances of the Emergency Department fade out of existence.