[Critique Game] Post The First Three Sentences of your Short Story

Joseph Schmol

shaken & stirred
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I'll try. First three sentences of an experimental short story called A Show of Hands:

Shiny. The hands of the nurse, slathered with antiseptics and compassion as she tended to me. Cotton pinched between her fingers, she dabbed my skin with the lightness of a bird pecking at seeds. I watched the hands of a life lived, moulded by purpose — the kind I liked best.

A single word beginning sentence stops me in my tracks, puts me on "bail alert." The 2nd sentence also seemed problematic: 1st, it's an odd construction; more importantly, why would a nurse's hands be "slathered" in anything, let alone medicine -- wouldn't that make it difficult for her to do her work correctly? Also, I'd prefer to "see" the compassionate creature rather than be informed she is one. Ditto last sentence. The whole thing has a very melodramatic feel and unfortunately not for me.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
A single word beginning sentence stops me in my tracks, puts me on "bail alert." The 2nd sentence also seemed problematic: 1st, it's an odd construction; more importantly, why would a nurse's hands be "slathered" in anything, let alone medicine -- wouldn't that make it difficult for her to do her work correctly? Also, I'd prefer to "see" the compassionate creature rather than be informed she is one. Ditto last sentence. The whole thing has a very melodramatic feel and unfortunately not for me.

I think "slathered in antiseptic and compassion" is kind of a metaphor. I'm guessing they'd be covered in antiseptic for the same reason you can walk into a lot of public places (here) and immediately use a hand sanitizor (or drink from it, if you're desperately alcoholic); to prevent the spread of infection. I actually read this as not being a modern setting; more like from a time when it was common to douse everything in iodine and hope for the best.

I forgot to say, Elle.: I would read on. I don't mind a bit of melodrama every now and again, and I like the unusual topic (hands) enough to keep going.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks for your comments.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I think "slathered in antiseptic and compassion" is kind of a metaphor. I'm guessing they'd be covered in antiseptic for the same reason you can walk into a lot of public places (here) and immediately use a hand sanitizor (or drink from it, if you're desperately alcoholic); to prevent the spread of infection. I actually read this as not being a modern setting; more like from a time when it was common to douse everything in iodine and hope for the best.

I forgot to say, Elle.: I would read on. I don't mind a bit of melodrama every now and again, and I like the unusual topic (hands) enough to keep going.

Thanks. Might post the whole story for critique once I have 50 posts.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I'll try. First three sentences of an experimental short story called A Show of Hands:

Shiny. The hands of the nurse, slathered with antiseptics and compassion as she tended to me. Cotton pinched between her fingers, she dabbed my skin with the lightness of a bird pecking at seeds. I watched the hands of a life lived, moulded by purpose — the kind I liked best.

Oh, I do like that. Would read on.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

Shiny. The hands of the nurse, slathered with antiseptics and compassion as she tended to me. Cotton pinched between her fingers, she dabbed my skin with the lightness of a bird pecking at seeds.

There is no narrative tension, though this is hard to pull off in the first three lines. The opening itself, though, isn’t exactly exciting in any way, which is problematic.

Having said that, I would probably read a little further to see why the PoV needs a nurse to tend his/her ailments.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I do like that. Would read on.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

There is no narrative tension, though this is hard to pull off in the first three lines. The opening itself, though, isn’t exactly exciting in any way, which is problematic.

Having said that, I would probably read a little further to see why the PoV needs a nurse to tend his/her ailments.

Thanks for your comments.

Reaction score
I have to disagree. I'm an average civilian citizen of the U.S., and if I was reading a book in which the time was stated as "14:45," I would immediately assume that the setting or the POV character was military or governmental.

As someone whose job sometimes requires me to work odd hours, I'm well acquainted with the "dead zone" of mid-afternoon, so that resonated with me. I do think one of those qualifiers could be dropped ("maybe" would get my vote), but overall I was intrigued by the OP's opener and would read on.

I know it may be a moot point, but we don’t write the colon in the military when we write time. It would just be 1445. In case you ever need to use that format.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
REVISED IN POST #1262: Title: THE PURPOSE OF THIS. Genre: YA Urban Fantasy. Estimated Word Count: 5000 words.

First three lines below.

The hardest working mage who ever lived awoke moments before his head slammed into the library desk.

”Oww!” Slowly, Jeong Yeon Hyeok sat up and saw Kim Yeong-Ju laughing at him.

Last edited:

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
The hardest working mage who ever lived awoke moments before his head slammed into the library desk.

At first read, I wonder why if he's awake moments (which I generally categorise as indefinite periods of time roughly equivalent to 30 seconds or a minute) before the head-slamming, why didn't he see it coming? Also, at what force was his head slammed? This sounds a fairly violent act and could probably deal some heavy damage.

Sentence 3 is telly. How about something like, "Rubbing the sore spot on his head, Jeong Yeon Hyeok sat up to the accompaniment of Kim Yeong-Ju's nefarious laughter."

There's an immediate dichotomy in the hardest working mage dozing on the job. At this point I'd read on to find out why he's sleeping (overworked, exhausted, performing some esoteric sleep ritual) rather than just assume it was a sloppy intro: but I'm not sure everybody would.

Also, and this is my issue, not yours (because I'm probably not your intended audience) but I struggle to remember names I can't pronounce (I basically don't bother trying), and the 'Hyeok' is giving me trouble there.

Joseph Schmol

shaken & stirred
Registered
Reaction score

Why "moments"? A moment = an unspecified unit of time. Because here it's pluralized -- moments -- it's now multiplied by an unnamed multiplier. For me this means confusion. How long was he awake exactly? It seems to me "just" might be a better word choice.

Why is the modifier way over there?

All in all, a nice opening. I'd read more.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
REVISION #2: Title: THE PURPOSE OF THIS. Genre: YA Urban Fantasy. Estimated Word Count: 5000 words.

First three lines below.

The hardest working mage who ever lived devised a simple plan to cheat on the practice exams. Jeong Yeon Hyeok drew six stick figures on horses at the edges of the exam sheet and whispered as quietly as he could, “Thieving shadows, take shape, and learn the secrets of my woes.”

The bandits shook themselves awake, leapt off the desk, and raced across the tiled floor to the answer key lying flat on the teacher’s desk.

Joseph Schmol

shaken & stirred
Registered
Reaction score
REVISION #2: Title: THE PURPOSE OF THIS. Genre: YA Urban Fantasy. Estimated Word Count: 5000 words.

First three lines below.

The hardest working mage who ever lived devised a simple plan to cheat on the practice exams. Jeong Yeon Hyeok drew six stick figures on horses at the edges of the exam sheet and whispered as quietly as he could, “Thieving shadows, take shape, and learn the secrets of my woes.”

The bandits shook themselves awake, leapt off the desk, and raced across the tiled floor to the answer key lying flat on the teacher’s desk.

Edit: Good one. I'd read on, but not sure about punctuation in sentence 3 -- feels off. I think I'd prefer it broken into two sentences.

Last edited:

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score

First three lines below.

I think this is much better than the head-banging version, gives a much better sense of mystery and magic. I would definitely read on.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Bacchus, Joseph Scmol, and The Urban Spaceman, thanks for the comments!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

First three lines below.

Really, really liked this. Not a nit to pick. I'd most definitely read on.

OneWhoWrites

Registered
Reaction score

First three lines below.

I like this, but it seems strange to me that "the hardest working mage who ever lived" would devise a plan to cheat instead of studying his ass off, or something.

Would definitely read on, though

Rob40

Registered
Reaction score
Website
roughdrift.wordpress.com
This is part of a multi-part series of flash and short pieces that are morphing into an ongoing serial adventure following rag-tag characters.
----
A rubber raft lay crumpled in the tree line behind two men sitting on a beach, silently watching a driftwood fire, listening to waves. One man poked the fire while another ate from a can. Stars above brought endless contemplation of how they would start over in the morning having purposely scuttled their boat.
----

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is part of a multi-part series of flash and short pieces that are morphing into an ongoing serial adventure following rag-tag characters.
----
A rubber raft lay crumpled in the tree line behind two men sitting on a beach, silently watching a driftwood fire, listening to waves. One man poked the fire while another ate from a can. Stars above brought endless contemplation of how they would start over in the morning having purposely scuttled their boat.
----

This is pretty tell-y. It's a scenario with potential, but I feel like the most interesting thing (why they decided to scuttle their boat) has already happened. And I'm not quite sure what the stars have to do with any of it, except to establish that it's nighttime.

Just FYI: since the subject of your first sentence is the raft, it reads as if the raft is watching the fire and listening to the waves.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
----
----

The first line reads as if the raft is silently watching a driftwood fire.

Overall, though, these three lines are a little confusing, and so I suggest trying to rewrite them in a simple way to get the point across with greater clarity.

Rob40

Registered
Reaction score
Website
roughdrift.wordpress.com
mrsmig, denevius: Thank you for the input. That's always something I struggle with at first until I get to clean things up and even then, I still find myself unknowingly getting tell-y. Technical jobs and backgrounds do that. What I can do here with what i posted is just cut things out to start. I was trying to pack too much in and set the atmosphere at the same time. Scuttling was a saved moment to near the end, and later after the post I thought I should have left it that way because saving more for exposition is always a good thing but keeping it interesting until then is the hard test of doing that. So here's where I saw what you talked about and made an adjustment. I'll leave it at this point and move back to the Word window. re-writing and especially the editing are the next lessons. Funny how my teachers long ago forgot to really dig into that bit.
-------
(cut) Two men sat on a beach, silently watching a driftwood fire, listening to the waves at night. (cut the end and add parts of forth and fifth lines to the second and third) Otto ate from a can while Fitz poked at the fire and said, "Any regrets?" Otto shook his head no in quiet contemplation of how they would start over the next morning.
-------
Raft shows up later as something interactive with the characters, scuttling as well during their conversation, saves good bits for last.

Last edited:

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
----
----

The first sentence is surreal. The raft is watching and listening. It would be interesting if that's what you meant, but the next line tells me you didn't. There's nothing that grabs me.

ETA: I'm confused by your next post.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
mrsmig, denevius: Thank you for the input. That's always something I struggle with at first until I get to clean things up and even then, I still find myself unknowingly getting tell-y. Technical jobs and backgrounds do that. What I can do here with what i posted is just cut things out to start. I was trying to pack too much in and set the atmosphere at the same time. Scuttling was a saved moment to near the end, and later after the post I thought I should have left it that way because saving more for exposition is always a good thing but keeping it interesting until then is the hard test of doing that. So here's where I saw what you talked about and made an adjustment. I'll leave it at this point and move back to the Word window. re-writing and especially the editing are the next lessons. Funny how my teachers long ago forgot to really dig into that bit.
-------
(cut) Two men sat on a beach, silently watching a driftwood fire, listening to the waves at night. (cut the end and add parts of forth and fifth lines to the second and third) Otto ate from a can while Fitz poked at the fire and said, "Any regrets?" Otto shook his head no in quiet contemplation of how they would start over the next morning.
-------
Raft shows up later as something interactive with the characters, scuttling as well during their conversation, saves good bits for last.

Not really quite sure what you're asking for here. Is this a revision and you're asking for another crit? Or are you asking for input on your options?

In either case, you shouldn't post for crit until you've proofed and polished your excerpt to a shine. Otherwise, because critters will be unable to focus on your work because they're distracted by errors. It's also not a great idea to post a revision immediately after you've received feedback. Allow time for other critters to weigh in, then give yourself at least 24 hours to mull over the crits, revise thoughtfully and proof before you post.

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Riley barged through the back door and announced that Gran was in the birdcage again.

“Well, get her out,” I said. I was attempting to place the third tier of cake and it was a bit like landing a helicopter on a helipad.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Riley barged through the back door and announced that Gran was in the birdcage again.

“Well, get her out,” I said. I was attempting to place the third tier of cake and it was a bit like landing a helicopter on a helipad.

I enjoyed this and I would read on.