Anyone ever experience a "writer's high?"

threetoedsloth

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes when I write I get so into the story I start getting jittery and excited. It's kind of like writing drunk, but you're intoxicated on your work instead of alcohol.

Anyone else experience something similar?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Of course! I'm thinking the real question is is there anyone of us who doesn't get writer's high? :)

And it's much better than alcohol.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a very emotional novel writer, so I live my protag's successes and defeats.

I'm actually resigned to writing chapters of stuff that never even makes it into the final version of the novel, just because I want my characters to have a nice day before I torment them again. It's like restitution-in-advance.

Interestingly (at least to me), it's far more intellectual when I write shorts. I more often think their pain, rather than feeling it. Maybe because the story's over before I have a chance to get truly attached.

I really like writing both shorts and novels, though. :)

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes when I write I get so into the story I start getting jittery and excited. It's kind of like writing drunk, but you're intoxicated on your work instead of alcohol.

Absolutely! When I have days that the vision in my head comes out on the page exactly as I saw it, it's utterly thrilling! :)

Of course! I'm thinking the real question is is there anyone of us who doesn't get writer's high? :)

And it's much better than alcohol.

Yes, I do.

Damn hippies! :rant:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
It's an amazing feeling, and it probably means you are on the right track. Sometimes when this happens to me, I am like "where is this coming from" as I write. That high you are talking about also makes me write faster. I just want to go with it.

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and I get also very emotional along it. It's a great feeling of this writer's high. :D

yosoya

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. Sometimes I just get hit with this random burst of inspiration and I'll write madly for a long time, exhilarated over my work. Then I read it over later and it sucks, haha.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten something like that once or twice on a good plotting streak, but never when actually writing.

XMissBrightSideX

Socially Awkward Sam
Registered
Reaction score
Yes!
...but then they sent me to rehab. And I've been trying to get my fix since.

'They tried to make me go to rehab but I said no, no, no!'

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yes! I've certainly had that feeling. Once you've had it, it's sort of like "chasing the dragon." You want every writing session to feel that way, so you write more and more in the hopes that the next one will be as euphoric as the last. Sometimes you catch it, and it's wonderful. Other times, it's just another day in the word mines. Still worth it, though. :D

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Newp. Unless you're talking about the times when I just feel "meh" about it instead of "aurguguhhhhhhh." :)

I'm thinking the real question is is there anyone of us who doesn't get writer's high? :)

Yep. :)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Those are the times when I lose track of time and just write until I can't write anymore. Major wordage on those days. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen every time. It's a mountain top experience. But, I would starve if I lived up there all the time. Because I forget simple things--like eating. ;)

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I get the writer's high after reading passages I've forgotten. Then I'm like, wow this isn't as bad as I remember! But while working on stuff, no, no high. I'm too bogged down in the nitty gritty. Plus I tend to write in layers.

unionrdr

wannbe author
Registered
Reaction score
The first time it really hit me is when my homebrewing book started out on the UK Amazon/Kindle top 100 charts at #3! That really felt like a handful of speeders. Lately, it's when a song, like an orchestra, inspires me to write a particular passage. Like the Vienna philharmonic doing the Imperial March.

Layla Lawlor

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, I do! :) I think of it as something akin to a runner's endorphin high, though for me it's mostly noticeable when I've finished a good writing session, as a floating sense of well-being that lasts for hours.