Best writing app for tablet

ColdWintersNight

Registered
Reaction score
I figure this thread would be ok to post this here. But yeah, what's the best typing app that you use for your tablet? Does not have to be free.

morrighan

Always writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lizmadridauthor.com
If you mean to write stories with, I use Daedalus for my iPad and iPhone. It syncs with my Ulysses 3.0 on my mac and converts the document to many different formats, even in Daedalus.

melindamusil

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Google docs. It just werkz.

+1. It's fantastic for writing, PLUS it syncs over the cloud, which makes it easy to move between my tablet, phone, and computer.

On the rare occasions that I do not have wifi, I use either Plaintext (for writing) or Penzu Pro (for journaling).

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm moving this to Tech where you'll get a wider variety of responses.

It would help if you could specify what kind of tablet, and what you want to be able to do with the app (import to MS Word or another word processor, work with Scrivener, just plain text, rtf, mark down, sync via DropBox . . . what do you want to do ?)

Last edited:

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
Nexus 7 + Quickoffice + External keyboard = write anywhere.

I used to use Google Drive extensively but I started to get sync errors. Plus, with QuickOffice, the file can be opened by other apps. Such as when I connect my tablet to my work computer.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Much as I love and use Google Drive/apps, there's a character limit in terms of the word processor files; not sure what it is, but after a few thousand, editing gets tricky.

So I wouldn't use it for a single large file, like an entire book.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Google Drive limits:

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/37603?hl=en

"Documents: 1,024,000 characters, regardless of the number of pages or font size. If using the new version of Drive (with the red "New" button on the left side), uploaded document files that are converted to the Google documents format can’t be larger than 50 MB. If using the classic version of Drive, you can't convert document files that are larger than 10 MB."

Which makes no sense. In textmode, that character limit is a 1MB file. WTF do they do to your file??!