Production Company Interested - Now need agent!

thecoffeewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All

I am very new to writing, and I penned a comedy horror STV-style film script and emailed it to dozens of production companies in both the UK and US who had made similar films.

I wasn't really expecting any joy from doing this, and for the most part my expectations were met, but one actually emailed me back sounding reasonably interested by the description and synopsis, and asked me to submit it through my agent. (I've learnt enough that most production companies won't touch a script unless its from an agent, to avoid any copywrite/legal slip ups)

Just assuming that this was a usual brush off, I emailed them back telling them that I had no agent, but could I use their email as a recommendation to try and get one. They emailed me back and said yes.

I am not naive enough to think that they are dying to work with me, but I certainly think its worth pursuing. I know that no major agents would take me on from this little interest, but I am hoping someone may know a smaller agent who would be willing to submit on my behalf just through this opportunity, maybe someone who has just started out and would like it to help them make the connection themselves?

As I say, I'm a total novice to this, so I'm looking for any help and guidance I can find. The little research I've done in trying to find an agent, has led me to big hitters would wouldn't take anyone on without a major successful experience, or people who want $400 for the privilege.

I look forward to hearing what you've got to say!

Cheers Ben

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
It's a "polite" pass, and a very common one. If they wanted to read your material, they'd send you a release form.

You've posted this identical post over at Done Deal -- why don't you wait for answers rather than scatter-shooting message boards where you have no history?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Moved from Ask the Agent.

DevelopmentExec

Registered
Reaction score
Offer to sign a submission release or submit through an entertainment attorney (yes that will cost you.)

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
For some years I had an attorney in LA who would submit on my behalf for around $30 a pop, which was perfect for the rare occasion when a request like yours came up. This even got a script to senior producers at Fox Animation after they orginally insisted on an agent submission. You may want to call a few attorneys to see if they offer this service.

Never did get an agent...