The best "virtual index card" software for story planning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatique

Fluffy Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ethereality.info
CherryTree Notes

Font, colors, easy re-arranging and ordering, autosave, passworded if you want
AND IT'S FREE

I took a look and it doesn't seem to have any actual index card layout features. It looks more like the left-hand side of Scrivener--just hierarchy of folders/files you can rearrange. What I'm looking for is actual index cards layout that allow you to arrange them in columns or rows, but with very specific list of features (as explained in the first post).

Writer's Blocks is the one that came the closest, but had a few quirks I couldn't live with. Here's what it looks like: http://writetofinish.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/writers-block-image.jpg

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Writer's Blocks is the one that came the closest, but had a few quirks I couldn't live with.

Yes, I used Writer's Blocks for a while, and it did a lot of things I really liked, but had some really big failings. (Frex, I recall it was very difficult to add or remove columns.) And it seems to have been effectively abandoned at a fairly early stage. For what I need, Scrivener does the card-managing job much much better.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Lunatique: Excluding dragging cards where you want (on top, for example), you can do everything you need in Word if: 1) you know how to format it right; 2) you don't mind in-document linking (to view the cards on other pages). This process is not for beginners of Word. You need to know how to use bookmarks/in-document hyperlinks. Else, I do not know of software. I do all my work in custom templates I make in Word (excluding mind mapping).

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
cbenoi1: The process is easy, actually; there is a learning curve though. You can change your orientation to landscape, reduce all 4 margins to 0.5 inches (Page Setup), change Paragraph settings to single line space (and 0 pt before and after spacing). Page one is the index (rows and columns), shorthanded with tabled [001] [002], each with clickable links to the index cards, in the same Word document.... Bookmarks and in-document linking with every page having a way to get back to the index.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Trust me on this. Document linking is one of those "mail merge couch" feature ( link ).

-cb

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
It's intra-document (in-document) linking, not inter-document linking. Maybe you are thinking about inter-document, Microsoft Excel worksheet linking between workbooks or Excel documents. That's a mail merge couch for sure.

Intra-dcument linking is easy as pie. Type a word on one page. Insert, Page Break. Type a new word on the second page. Highlight the word, page two. Insert, Bookmark. Name the bookmark; click Add. Click OK. Highlight the word, page one. Ctrl+k, click Place in This Document. Click on the Bookmark you made, hit OK. Done. Click on the word on page one, it will land you at the word on page two. This is intra-document (in-document) linking.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Intra-dcument linking is easy as pie. Type a word on one page. Insert, Page Break. Type a new word on the second page. Highlight the word, page two. Insert, Bookmark. Name the bookmark; click Add. Click OK. Highlight the word, page one. Ctrl+k, click Place in This Document. Click on the Bookmark you made, hit OK. Done. Click on the word on page one, it will land you at the word on page two. This is intra-document (in-document) linking.

This sounds way more complicated, and much less useful as an organizing tool, than using a tool that's designed to help organize ideas. (For which being able to drag them around and re-organize them is typically a core function.)

Or using a pile of Post-It notes or index cards --- which have an extremely intuitive user interface!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
cbenoi1: The process is easy, actually; there is a learning curve though. You can change your orientation to landscape, reduce all 4 margins to 0.5 inches (Page Setup), change Paragraph settings to single line space (and 0 pt before and after spacing). Page one is the index (rows and columns), shorthanded with tabled [001] [002], each with clickable links to the index cards, in the same Word document.... Bookmarks and in-document linking with every page having a way to get back to the index.

I'd rather be writing. Or use a tool that's meant for that kind of document, like a wiki.

But I'm glad that it works for you.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I am cheap, when it comes to office supplies.

AW Admin: Absolutely; writing is critical. I do not use the process I posted, but it covered almost all of the original poster's needs.

Helix and benbenberi: It takes patience, for sure. I made a post in the Analog forum. In my response, I noted how I use analog materials for organization, but I added a means to do digital post-its with easy manipulation (drag anywhere on one's desktop).

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
Not for plotting but I just started using Trello to try and organise some of my feedback from beta readers and other more general feedback.

As a few of you have warned- I am doing it instead of writing but since I'm currently not writing due to being utterly overwhelmed I'm hoping it will at least lead to real productivity.

I say that having written paper notes and something akin to a plan in Word though so I don't know. It feels more useful than sitting here feeling stupid because I don't know where to start.

editor17

Banned
Reaction score
I'm an outliner, and I have been looking for a better solution for my story planning needs. In the past, I have used Writer's Cafe's storyline tool, Scrivener's outline/index card tool, and recently have tested virtual index card applications like Writer's Blocks, Throughline, Text Block Writer, and SuperNotecard (which is the one I prefer so far, but it still is missing features I need).

Basically, what I'm looking for is a software that can do the following:

-Able to customize the GUI's color (can't stand bright/white backgrounds).

-Able to customize the cards' size, font size, background fill color, font color, etc.

-Able to do simple swapping action if I drag a card on top of another, instead of only inserting a card before or after another card.

-Able to customize layout so I can have columns or rows, each dedicated to a separate storyline or character arc.

-A split view mode or expanded view feature, so I can see all the content in the card at once instead of being forced to scroll inside the tiny box of the card in order to read all of its content.

-Freedom and flexibility in creating new columns and rows wherever I want to, such as in-between existing columns and rows.

-Able to quickly select an entire row or column of cards and then move them all to a new location (whether inside existing columns and rows, or in new blank columns and rows), or swap position with an existing column or row.

-Able to have titles for the columns/rows, so I can name them by character names, or subplot names, etc.

-Able to insert separators and name them, so I can visually organize the cards into acts or chapters.

-Have both auto-arrange modes and manual arrange modes, so I can leave spaces between cards if I want to, or have all spaces automatically filled in.

Are there any virtual index card software out there that matches my needs? And please don't suggest using real index cards on a cork-board--I much prefer the convenience, flexibility, and speed of software. Having to rearrange a bunch of cards in real life just isn't very efficient to me.

There are a number of programs that will do some of those things. I don't recall seeing any that will do all of them.

If you like software then read the reviews and see which is least worst for your desirements.

Personally, I find 3x5 cards on a table top to be faster better cheaper easier than any computer program.
Although I can see the utility of them I don't find them compelling for my using of them even if others swear by them.

editor17

Banned
Reaction score
I'm Resurrecting this thread, because I still haven't found the ideal virtual index card software yet. Any suggestions?

And you won't find the perfect one that does everything you want. You will have to settle for least worst based on your desirements.

editor17

Banned
Reaction score
I considered using a big white/cork board, but it's not ideal in terms of efficiency. Imagine if I had an epic fantasy series that spans multiple books, with various subplots, a large ensemble cast with individual character arcs. I would have to use up an entire large wall.

Then there's the issue with making changes--doing it with software is just much faster and more flexible. If I wanted to swap entire columns that have dozens of cards, doing it manually is just tedious and a waste of time. With software, I can select the entire column and just drag it to the position I want. Same with inserting new cards into already long columns with lots of cards.

A table top is very efficient. When the time comes, put all of it into excel.

I use columns in excel for:
line number
time sequence of plot points
reference info columns - who what why when where how as needed to jog my memory

and a separate workbook for character details.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
A table top is very efficient. When the time comes, put all of it into excel.

I am astonished, never mind impressed, that you managed to fit a tabletop into Excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.