• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Literary Wanderlust

desaparecidos

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection & A Learning Experience courtesy of LW--my experience

At a point when I was still shopping my novel around, I submitted my full manuscript to LW after a request on PitMad, in December 2018. I got back an R&R, which I initially saw and thought, "yay! a chance!" But...the tone and content of the feedback letter, from one of their editors I'd rather not name, was INCREDIBLY mean and unprofessional. To the point that I knew, even as a desperate-to-be-published writer, that I would never work with a publisher that treated a potential client that way. To be fair, the limited interaction I had with Susan seemed very pleasant.

Even as an editor for a small pub, even as an unpublished writer, even as a stranger on Twitter (or AW), I believe it's important to treat everyone in the business as a potential colleague. It left me with a sour taste in my mouth, but one lesson I came away with was that working for a small publisher isn't much of a qualification on its own.

There was a happy ending, not that it matters for this thread. The day after I got the R&R from LW, I was offered a two-book contract from Bookouture. 4.6 stars on Amazon. My second book is out next week. I've got a spectacular royalty rate, and thousands of copies sold (digital and paperback both).

Just...I guess I'm sharing here because I wish I could go back in time and reassure myself. The feedback I got from that woman brought me to tears, and wasn't useful or helpful. I have no contact with any authors signed with LW, and no reason to believe they're not pleased.

Kelly Heard
author of BEFORE YOU GO and THE GIRL I THOGUHT I KNEW (Bookouture, 2019 & 2020)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience, Kelly--and congratulations on the about-to-be-released book!

jessiewinterspring

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jessiewinterspring.com
Indie publishers generally DON'T have the money to market, so the fact that promotion is dependent on the author does not surprise me. That's not really a reason NOT to submit.

Time will tell about the press though. It's too new to judge yet.
Thanks for this reply. I want to try them after all :)

jessiewinterspring

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jessiewinterspring.com
Rejection & A Learning Experience courtesy of LW--my experience

At a point when I was still shopping my novel around, I submitted my full manuscript to LW after a request on PitMad, in December 2018. I got back an R&R, which I initially saw and thought, "yay! a chance!" But...the tone and content of the feedback letter, from one of their editors I'd rather not name, was INCREDIBLY mean and unprofessional. To the point that I knew, even as a desperate-to-be-published writer, that I would never work with a publisher that treated a potential client that way. To be fair, the limited interaction I had with Susan seemed very pleasant.

Even as an editor for a small pub, even as an unpublished writer, even as a stranger on Twitter (or AW), I believe it's important to treat everyone in the business as a potential colleague. It left me with a sour taste in my mouth, but one lesson I came away with was that working for a small publisher isn't much of a qualification on its own.

There was a happy ending, not that it matters for this thread. The day after I got the R&R from LW, I was offered a two-book contract from Bookouture. 4.6 stars on Amazon. My second book is out next week. I've got a spectacular royalty rate, and thousands of copies sold (digital and paperback both).

Just...I guess I'm sharing here because I wish I could go back in time and reassure myself. The feedback I got from that woman brought me to tears, and wasn't useful or helpful. I have no contact with any authors signed with LW, and no reason to believe they're not pleased.

Kelly Heard
author of BEFORE YOU GO and THE GIRL I THOGUHT I KNEW (Bookouture, 2019 & 2020)
Ok. I'm canceling my plan to query them. No matter what, an editor shouldn't be mean to authors :mad:

And damn, I'm jealous. I'm aiming for Bookoutere too. Unfortunately, even if they like and find my time-travel romance interesting, I was ultimately rejected. But on the bright side, they invite me to submit another book to them (Maybe they're just being kind :D )