Interzone - rights?

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding certain terms of publication for Interzone -- minor little things like pay rate, what rights they're buying, etc. Their "contributor guidelines" only cover manuscript format and such. I've dug around the Interzone/TTA Press website and their forums a fair bit, to no avail. I also tried asking direct, but never got a response.

I expect they're going with more-or-less industry standards, rights-wise -- I mean, it's Interzone -- but I'd like to actually see the terms before I submit.

Anybody got a link, or insider info?

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As I said in the original post, I did contact them. Never got a reply.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, nobody's going to get rich selling to Interzone, but the cachet somewhat makes up for it.

It's the rights I'm really looking for. I doubt there's anything onerous, but it's the sort of thing a writer should check on, y'know?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, nobody's going to get rich selling to Interzone, but the cachet somewhat makes up for it.

It's the rights I'm really looking for. I doubt there's anything onerous, but it's the sort of thing a writer should check on, y'know?

Yes, and it should be on the guidelines page. I remember looking at the rights in the past, but I can't remember what they want.

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
I just sold a story to them and will let you know about rights when I get the contract.

The pay...someone said it, ain't no one going to get rich selling to them. :) As a fairly new writer I'm just thrilled with the sale to be honest!

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Much obliged, Fizgig. And congrats on the sale!

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.

Pays £30/1000 words on publication (3p UK per word), which is not pro rate
http://scifi.fictionfactor.com/promarkets.html
and I just noticed that SFWA has " Interzone (to 4/2006) ..." in the listing for qualifying pro markets
I couldn't find rights,
Hmmm... If I remember correctly the SFWA pro rate is 5 cents a word. The exhange rate has certainly been high enough in the past for 3p to go above that.

On the other hand the 5 cents rate has been on for so long it would probably be double that if they had adjusted it for inflation. If they had I suspect no magazine would be considered pro.

On the third hand (Hey, we are talking SFF!), it is really ridiculous that Interzone is not considered a pro magazine by SFWA. In the SFF circles I hang in it's considered more prestigous than any US magazine.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm... If I remember correctly the SFWA pro rate is 5 cents a word. The exhange rate has certainly been high enough in the past for 3p to go above that.

On the other hand the 5 cents rate has been on for so long it would probably be double that if they had adjusted it for inflation. If they had I suspect no magazine would be considered pro.

On the third hand (Hey, we are talking SFF!), it is really ridiculous that Interzone is not considered a pro magazine by SFWA. In the SFF circles I hang in it's considered more prestigous than any US magazine.

Maybe you should complain to the SFWA about their standards.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

JRTroughton

Registered
Reaction score
I just sold a story to them and will let you know about rights when I get the contract.

The pay...someone said it, ain't no one going to get rich selling to them. :) As a fairly new writer I'm just thrilled with the sale to be honest!
Congratulations. It's a fantastic publication and it's no easy feat to get published by them.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
When I sold to Interzone, they took first English-language rights with an option on anthology rights. I also agreed not to resell the story (in English) for a year after publication, unless my story formed part of a novel, was reprinted in a collection of my own stories or was republished in a Year's Best. In those cases I had to ask permission (and none of the above applied to my two stories anyway) but permission "would not be unreasonably withheld".

Those two sales were when David Pringle was the editor, so things may be different with Andy Cox as editor. (I've sold to Andy for his other magazines but not to Interzone.)

Things may be different now, particularly now there is an e-book version of the magazine. Also, there hasn't been an Interzone anthology (in which almost all the stories were reprints from the magazine) for many years now.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Those two sales were when David Pringle was the editor, so things may be different with Andy Cox as editor. (I've sold to Andy for his other magazines but not to Interzone.)

When I sold to Interzone, the terms were the same with Andy. That was a few years back, but I doubt they've changed. (Though, contacting them is not a terrible idea.)

As others said, the pay rate is below SFWA pro rates, but the cachet more than makes up for it.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, it seems that Interzone is moving to PS Publishing. New publisher, new editor; one hopes they'll be more forthcoming about rights and payment information, though their current "guidelines" page is... not encouraging.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
New editor is Ian Whates of NewCon Press