• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Pub svcs] Inkshares

tharris

Registered
Reaction score
Inkshares

Disclaimer: I'm not interested in using them, just curious about their model.

I visited an indie bookstore recently to look for comps and compile a list of potential agents, and I noticed a book that was being displayed prominently was from Inkshares. This piqued my interest because I had always thought of them as a vanity publisher that was basically self-publishing. Maybe this was an outlier, but I was impressed that they got some great promo space in a local bookstore.

From what I can tell, they are basically kickstarter, but once you reach certain levels they help you more and more with the book (and I'm sure promote the higher tiers more). As I said above, I'm not really looking to use them but am interested in their model. There's some logic in bridging the gap between self-publishing and traditional publishing in this way. It still puts the responsibility on the writer to promote the book enough to get the pre-sales.

Ludens

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
There's already a thread on Inkshares here: <snipped>

Most of the posts are several years old, but a recent one gives a mixed review of the company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arden

Happy to be here!
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any current information on this company? I recently won a small, local contest with my unpublished novel, which in turn generated some interest with a local TV production company, and Inkshares "offered" me the chance to submit to them. It seems to be a crowdsourcing venue where they take a lion's share of the novel sales AND have some control over film/TV rights. Of course, I may be reading their terms with a jaded eye.

I'd love to hear of any recent experiences anyone has had with them as, apparently, their model has evolved over the years. I'm skeptical but it may just be me.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I recently saw an Inkshares book on display at my local indie store. Unfortunately, I’m blanking on the title, but it had lots of admiring blurbs and seemed well presented. I have to say, that surprised me!

If your book seems highly commercial, my instinct would be to suggest the agent route, but I don’t know anything about Inkshares’ current terms. I would ask about their distribution. Do they have a sales force getting those books into stores?

Arden

Happy to be here!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, FG. I do have an agent -- a very good one -- who believed a lot in this novel but could never sell it.

This InkShares thing has thrown me for a loop. I can't determine if it's a good idea or not. I definitely am NOT a social media person -- too little time -- so I may not fit the InkShares author profile.

So that's why I'm seeking those with personal experiences with them... I'm flummoxed right now.

Last edited:

scrivenerlf

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone (I am so frustrated that I have spelled quandary wrong in the title...),

So, I've been writing this book for 5 years and have gotten agent interest in it, but it's never been quite right. I had an agent for a while and she didn't like my writing at all and gave me very specific notes and I have changed the book so many times to suit her...and in the end we parted ways.

I ended up self-publishing two of my manuscripts that I had with her, which I am confident about because they are within my genre (which is literary YA). I was going to self-publish this one I've been working on, but I feel very paralyzed about it as I'm afraid it just isn't going to be up to snuff. I'm a PhD student, so I can't afford to drop $6000 on an editor and then cross my fingers that I'm going to make the $6000 back...especially because I'm trying to save up for a car, etc.

Inkshares, a company that does crowdfunding and then traditionally publishes books, has been very excited about my book. I'm having to try to raise $13,500 to get it published. This is a new model (it doesn't seem legit, but I've checked it out and it is...they have Daniel Wallace as their first author and several others down the pipeline) to try and get books out that people want to read.

The person I've been talking to liked the book, but wanted me to make some changes to my first chapter (namely changing the entire POV). The first chapter has been worked on with an editor (as hired by my agent), a second fresh-out-of-her MFA editor and has received feedback from several other third parties. It has been worked and reworked to get to this point, but they want to change a lot to make it "stronger" to pitch to funders. If it is accepted, I would be matched with an editor from a publishing house, not this person who is suggesting the edits. I feel as though I have been chasing my tail for 4-5 years when it comes to this manuscript and I'm about ready to throw my hands up as everyone has a different idea of how it COULD be better to be publishable. Yet, I'm still not getting a deal because I KNOW I need some help, yet it's like the help I'm getting isn't the right one.

I am busy with my PhD and don't have the "fanbase" (even though I am a blogger, my followers aren't willing to pony up any cash) in order to get this book published by Inkshares. It sounds promising, but I'm just not willing to do any more changes if there is no guarantee of anything. Plus, the person making the requests admittedly doesn't read a lot of YA and doesn't know much about the genre, which also makes me hesitant. Does that make me difficult to work with?

You can check out the first chapter here: (link removed) and let me know if you think I'm being an idiot!
Just getting into your post. By now you’ve hopefully resolved your issue.
I was in a similar boat with my completed manuscript. I ended up self publishing with Amazon. I’m now considering a sequel and possibly submitting my published manuscript to Book Pipeline.