US Air Force: You must say, "I swear to God" !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
It's an oath. You're supposed to mean it. If "so help me God" can be empty words, then so can "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States."

All service members should be able to swear an oath that they can stand behind in its entirety, without betraying their beliefs.

And starting out the gate with a lie when part of the air force's motto is 'Integrity First' is just sad.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
How about a simple, "oath of honor?" That used to be used a lot in days of yore. To me that signifies a lot. If I give my oath of honor then I mean what I say, 100% or at least 98 err %.

And anyway, oaths are oaths. One can always go against them no matter what one swears on. How many people have sworn to God to do something and they don't. A fair number I'll wager. So it seems like as long as one gives ones word and does so in full faith or honesty that is as good as it's gonna get, which is fine so long as one has integrity and an okay character. And people who join the service, willingly, most likely do. (Giving ones "word," still signifies.)

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
And starting out the gate with a lie when part of the air force's motto is 'Integrity First' is just sad.

More especially when that branch of service has had more than its share of sexual harassment and abuse scandals in recent years. As I recall, the A.F. Academy not too long ago kicked out a bunch of cadets over academic cheating.

Yeah, that Oath they all swore to did a hell of a lot of good.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.