• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

WILDSound Writing Festival

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
These people followed me on Twitter.

Link (From Twitter)

Home Page

Submission fee is $45 for the first chapter or $170 for the entire novel.

Check out the winning readings. Those readings aren't worth the fee, IMO.

I thought they sounded familiar, but I couldn't find anything in the index. Mods, please merge to the appropriate thread if I've missed something.

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
The website alone looks unprofessional and out to separate writers from their cash. They say you'll get feedback on your novel but don't say who the editors are or what their qualifications are. They promise exposure that will permit writers to get good agents. I doubt any good agents attend this festival.

I would definitely not consider attending such a festival, much less entering anything.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
They followed me today too. I'm not going to follow back and I'm certainly not going to enter.

Mainly what this contest does is give exposure to the writer. They will be able to obtain a solid agent, plus get notice by producers looking for writers like yourself. NOTE: The writer will always own 100% rights to their story. The only thing we do is help the writer. Either with notes on their next draft, or gain exposure by having their story showcased at our festival.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got a follow, too.

I watched a few of the videos. The production values are cheap: a few random camera angle changes, occasional shaky shots, the actors simply sitting in chairs in street clothes, their eyes pinned to manuscript pages as they read. The actors themselves, if you look them up, have scant professional credits.

I don't see any value in this service. Perhaps it would be useful for a wannabee script writer, desperate to hear their piece read aloud, but I don't see how it would benefit a novelist.

Last edited:

MysticWolf12001

Registered
Reaction score
That is one crazy website. A lot of info to have to digest...whew! Can't they archive articles from previous months, or don't they know how to do that?

Much too busy of a website... Sometimes simplicity is best.

laurasbadideas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
unlikelyexplanations.com
They followed me on twitter too.

The same wording about finding an agent appears on all their contest pages, including the ones for short stories and poetry. I wonder whether scammy agents are targeting the contest winners featured on that site, on the theory that anyone who's willing to pay $45 or more for a chance at that kind of "exposure" is a hot prospect.