First sale!

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my first sale in a sense ... up 'til now, I've always been solicited for my freelance jobs. I've never had to actually sell my skills.

Anyway! I submitted a query about do-it-yourself dog nail clipping to The Retriever Journal, and the editor said he'd look at it on spec. I wrote it out in a few hours, and he liked it and bought it (except it'll be going in their sister publication, Just Labs).

So yeah, this is the first time I've successfully queried and been bought. This board has been a huge help. Thanks, everyone!

One question: I also submitted a query to AKC Family Dog magazine. The editor liked the idea, and asked for some clips. I sent some, but haven't heard back yet. It's only been about five business days though, so probably not time to panic yet...?

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Yay!!!! That's great! Congrats on your sale. (That looks like a pretty cool publication.) And congrats on a successful query...sometimes that's the hardest part. :)

BlueBadger said:
One question: I also submitted a query to AKC Family Dog magazine. The editor liked the idea, and asked for some clips. I sent some, but haven't heard back yet. It's only been about five business days though, so probably not time to panic yet...?

Nope, not time to panic yet. You might send a polite e-mail inquiring whether the clips arrived or not, and then just sit tight. Waiting is yucky. ;)

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
This is great news!:PartySmil
And, patience pays off. I learned this when I submitted to The Writer Magazine in 2003 and it was finally published in 2005. :D

GHF65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Super, Blue! May this be the first of many!

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everybody! The only problem is that I get paid upon publication, which won't happen 'til fall. Of course, Just Labs is a decent-sized publication, so I doubt I'll get jerked around, but it still kind of stinks to wait for your money ... and to remember that you're supposed to recieve it. ;)

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Blue Badger,

Congrats on your sale, Yep! "paid upon publication" one of those three little words writers hate to hear.

Once you see your name in lights the wait for the money will be worth it!

Reece ;)

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I haven't had much time to query lately because I've been doing a lot of jobs for my "established" client. I feel bad (lazy, even!), but I think that comes first.

I'm also kind of hesitant about sending out snail mail queries. The wait turns me off, especially after reading that topic in the Freelancing forum about Canadian / American SAE's and the postage issues involved...