Anythoughts on using Wattpad to form a fan-base?

Jinsune

Registered
Reaction score
I've been talking it over with a friend of mine on another site, and I'm wondering if using Wattpad a good way of building a fan-base and drawing more readers to my blog. Before I jump head first into uncharted waters, I wanted some opinions on this.

Does anyone have any experience with Wattpad, and if so, can you tell me a bit about your experience? I write for both young adults and adult, and would like to be able to reached both audiences easily without having to use so many forums and social networks.

jr0127

Registered
Reaction score
I've been talking it over with a friend of mine on another site, and I'm wondering if using Wattpad a good way of building a fan-base and drawing more readers to my blog. Before I jump head first into uncharted waters, I wanted some opinions on this.

Does anyone have any experience with Wattpad, and if so, can you tell me a bit about your experience? I write for both young adults and adult, and would like to be able to reached both audiences easily without having to use so many forums and social networks.

Wattpad is a fantastic community. I'm a featured author there and have been a member of the community for nearly 3 years and have had nothing but an entirely positive and successful experience building my fanbase. It's a great place to directly connect and receive feedback from readers, test your target market (excellent place for YA the main age range is teens), and to meet other published authors (self & trad.). I'd encourage you to join, and don't be too scared of the whole "If you publish on Wattpad, traditional publishers & agents won't want you" scenario. Many of my colleagues and myself included have received offers for representation & publishing contracts after our works were discovered on Wattpad. Wattpad is also now offering fact sheets to send agents/publishers who are worried about Wattpad publication interfering with potential future sales. All and all it's a great and very positive place to be!

NicaCurt

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing that bit of info jr0127. Wattpad is pretty interesting, but I must admit that it's another social media platform that will take up time. But very neat concept and a great place for the YA genre.

AnnaPappenheim

"Quod me alit, me extinguit."
Registered
Reaction score
It's a great place to directly connect and receive feedback from readers, test your target market (excellent place for YA the main age range is teens), and to meet other published authors (self & trad.).

That's good to know about the main audience on Wettpad being teens. I only just learned about the site the other day, but as my audience is mainly adult academics, I now know not to pursue it much. Thank you!

nprimak

Potatoes are delish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
There's a good article about Wattpad on David Gaughrans blog:

http://davidgaughran.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/whats-up-with-wattpad/

I don't have a lot of experience with it personally but from what I understand books on Wattpad are released serially, and that is part of how you grow a following because readers come back every week for the next piece of the story.