• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta question from a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

acitore

I don't get the point of user title
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all-

I'm new to this game of e-publishing and thus, also to beta readers. I just read thru a lot of previous posts on this branch about what to look for in a reader, how much to send in the beginning, etc. However, I write erotica (short stories which don't contain chapters, but sometimes are in sections), so I'm wondering how much I should send to a reader? If my average writings are only 4-6 pages, do I just go with the first page?

Thanks for your opinions. :)

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Let me help you out. :)

How much you send a beta reader is entirely up to you and your beta reader. Usually a beta reader will tell you how much they would like you to send at a time. If they don't tell you, you are welcome to ask.

Generally with short stories, you don't bother sending just part of the work. You send the entire thing.

The point of sending only part of the work (usually the first chapter) is so your beta can get an idea of your writing style and skill level before making a commitment. With short stories, this is pretty much unnecessary, since short stories are... well... short.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Let me help you out. :)

How much you send a beta reader is entirely up to you and your beta reader. Usually a beta reader will tell you how much they would like you to send at a time. If they don't tell you, you are welcome to ask.

Generally with short stories, you don't bother sending just part of the work. You send the entire thing.

The point of sending only part of the work (usually the first chapter) is so your beta can get an idea of your writing style and skill level before making a commitment. With short stories, this is pretty much unnecessary, since short stories are... well... short.

This.
I came here to comment, but you've already said it all, ViridianChick.

acitore

I don't get the point of user title
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.