Chapters....how is it done?

• Thread starter MrAngelwithnowings
  • Start date

MrAngelwithnowings

Hi all,

This is my first time here. I found it thru a link on an email.

I'm writing my first book too. An autibiography.

How are the chapters made in Word? Do you decide as you go whats a chapter? I have no chapters in my manuscript so far.

How do you label it in your word document if its a chapter? is it in capital letters above a certain paragraph or ?

Tish Davidson

chapters

When I write book length material, I make a separate folder for the project and in that folder make each chapter or section or idea a separate file. When I'm done I end up with a whole bunch of files and revisions - chapter 1.1, chapter 1.2 chapter 1.3 (3 revisions of the same material) chapter 2.1 (etc.) I also end up with little bits of ideas that did not go anywhere - files with names like dog story or outtakes from chapter 1.
I find it much easier to handle smaller files than one big massive mss file.

When I am completely finished, I combine all the files I want to use putting a hard page break between each chapter and beginning each chapter with a title like Chapter 3 Doom and Gloom in the Tomb

You can paginate using an option that lets you begin each section with page with the number you select.

I would say that when you first start writing, you should put each section/autobiographical story/time period or whatever in a separate file.

MrAngelwithnowings

chapters

thanks tish.

I got some great insight from your post. really helped me

butterflywilma

Re: chapters

i have all my chapters in one document.
I've noticed that it's easier for me personally.
Everyday i save it under a new name and i make back ups regurarly.