How To Support AW

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

Buy Scrivener 3 for macOS (Regular Licence)

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Is the short story market no longer viable?

Threaded View

practical experience, FTW

Is the short story market no longer viable?

I've seen a lot of information that suggests reader interest in short stories is pretty low. Multiple publishers have told me their anthologies and author collections barely sell. I hear that magazines like Asimov and Analog are suffering.

Is the market drying up to the point that writing short stories is becoming non-viable?

I've been submitting my stories around, and I've noticed that most of the magazines/online sites that accept short stories are either Closed due to an overwhelming slushpile, or they are Open, but the response time has grown more significant due to the slush pile. So it's certainly not a supply issue. My concern is the waning demand.

Ebooks have made novellas more viable, but what about short stories?

Edit: Some have thought that by viable, I mean able to make a living. Perhaps i used the wrong word. By viable, I mean lots of readers reading stories, lots of venues to submit to. Remove money from the equation, is it no longer an avenue for being noticed?
    Last edited by Rechan; 09-16-2014 at 12:59 PM.