Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I told myself that I was going to work on my novel.

I told myself that I was done with scratchy, periodic attempts at writing, where I'd sit down once every few months and binge write 7,000 words in 2 days, and end up deleting them all, because they sucked.

I spent years listening to Mighty Mur Lafferty talk about how I should be writing, and how important it was to put my ass in the chair and just start writing. I heard the old adage that if you wrote 250 words every single day, you'd have a novel in a year.

So that became my goal. And August 1, 2013 was day 1.

Because I am slightly disconnected with time itself right now, it took me a few days to realize that August 1, 2014 had rolled past. I have been a dedicated writer, really worthy of that writer's title, for one year.

I've done a lot this year. I moved from SoCal, where I was born and raised, to Northern Nevada. I've completely restructured my life, I've lost about 100 pounds. . .

And I've written 190,896 words. I finished the rough draft of my novel, and I've written one hell of a query letter ;). Even if I'm not published, not professional, I am a writer, and the entire point of this pretentious-ass post is to celebrate that.

:D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Zach!

You are awesome and that is one hell of an accomplishment! Good for you!

And I do expect that as you continue, you'll find yourself published, professional, and maybe even making money! :D:D:D

This is definitely a solid start. Hats off.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh good, a Zach Payne thread, which means I can castigate and abjure you all I like!

:D

Nah, won't do that. Big man, you've taken the BIGGEST first step. You lost weight...a LOT of weight. That, to me, is far more awesome than writing. Why? It means that you're on the road to better health. Maybe not perfect health, but better, and THAT means you'll be around longer to write more.

Second, you've gotten your butt in the chair and have actually done what you set out to do. Now, you have to follow through and polish that manuscript of yours and submit it. Expect to be rejected--happens to all of us--but keep your head high in the face of rejection and don't give up. The fact that you dieted down AND stayed sane AND got the novel done shows you're willing to see this writing thing through.

Congrats!:partyguy:

(Oh, and if you could 'Like' my novels on Facebook, I'd appreciate it:D)**

**Just kidding about the liking bit. I AM on FB, though.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, well done Zach! Sounds like you've found a really professional approach to writing - that's a lot of the battle.

Go, you!

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Congrats :D Good luck with the next few novels ;)

I'm trying to do the same thing, just that I started August the 1st 2014 :D

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
congrats on the writing and the weight loss! I need to kick my own arse in that department. may your success long continue!!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhhh Yeah...

... Even if I'm not published, not professional, I am a writer, and the entire point of this pretentious-ass post is to celebrate that.

:partyguy: Celebrating with ya, Dude! :Hug2:

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
What a fantastic year you've had. Congratulations on all your successes!

wordpainting3