• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Elephantine Publishing

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure how they came up with the name, but I stumbled across this doing a Google search for new YA publishers. (I always like to see what's out there)

Looks like a bunch of authors banning together. Their covers (they only have two) aren't so bad. Amazon sales seem okay on the new release, but only time will tell.

http://www.elephantinepublishing.com/

Anyone else heard of them?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
It says that they're collaborative, which I assume means that they take payments. It also emphasizes that they're trying to do the hybrid of commercial/self-publishing (with all the incorrect lingo to show how much knowledge they have of the former), which seems like something most new publishers are trying to do these days. The way it's worded implies to me that they don't have much in the way of submission restrictions.

It's something I'd stay away from, even if I was a self-publisher. They might have some experience with self-publishing, but it doesn't look like anyone has experience in commercial publishing, and it looks like another of those trying to change the way things are done publishers that really don't do anything new and don't know how to run a commercial publisher. In a few years maybe they'll have proven their abilities, but I'd wait a long time until I gave them a shot, and only if they don't actually require payment.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Their website displays horribly on my smart phone. So I didn't look around much. The one cover I could see all of looked okay, but it seemed to be missing a blurb. Or maybe that was the weird page formatting (which was chopping up and hiding portions of text).

These days I'm wary of any publisher without established sales.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Their book trailer on the front page is done by Animoto which is a site that you can do a trailer for free. Doesn't show much investment there.

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm...I would stay away until they have a more professional looking website and established sales.

Raptor

Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd come in and say I've published with Elephantine Publishing. It's a smaller publishing company which specializes in e-books and print on demand.

For a first time author, I have to say they have been great to work with. Their editor worked closely with me on the book, getting it just right, and pushing me to improve on a lot of it.

They have been helpful and kind to all my questions (which have been numerous), and have helped guide me toward my first book. Which, can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCS2TXA/?tag=absowrit-20 - I love the cover. Can't help but get a bit excited about it.

I would say, in the few years they have been in business, they have come a long ways and I'm glad to have signed on with them. I hope to see them grow more in the future.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of their authors posted today on Twitter that this publisher is closing.

The website doesn't corroborate this, but they are currently closed to submissions, their blog hasn't been updated since February and their Twitter, Tumbler and Pinterest accounts appear to be deactivated. Their Facebook page is still up, but the most recent post was in late June.