How do people feel about those little quotes at the top of chapters?

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm revising the first volume of my fantasy series for the Xth time and I'm thinking about putting in quotes at the top of the chapters. These are made-up quotes drawn from texts (histories, legends, etc.) in the story's world. I did this in an earlier version of one books and I liked it, but I hear that a lot of people find those chapter-opening quotes annoying or pretentious.

I haven't been on here much lately, but this was the best place I could think of to ask this question, which has been bugging me.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Surely there are readers (and editors, publishers, etc.) who love them, or they wouldn't be so common.

Personally, though, I dislike them. Often they add nothing to my understanding or enjoyment of the chapter, and at times seem utterly random and irrelevant even as I finish the chapter and flip back to reread the quote at the beginning.

So put them in if you like--but only if they genuinely enhance or illuminate.

Maryn, who too often ends up scratching her head

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love them. They are like condiments or appetizers, and often lead me to books or poems I didn't know of.

What I don't like is if some juicy bit is quoted somewhere and I can't find the source. I always want to know who wrote it. So, if yours are made up bits from your world's literature, I would want to know that! :D

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My editor loves them. A lot. I can take them or leave them. I think they can enhance a work, but sometimes I just want to start the next chapter because I'm engrossed in the story.

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who likes them. I'm going to mess around with the ones I have and see if I can get them tuned up and expanded. Then I'll fire it off to an editor or something.

I had planned to complete this revision in July, but I seem to be moving very slowly.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I generally like them, but I'll skim over them if they get long. They're easy to skip if you aren't into that.

I've got single words with definitions and etymologies as chapter titles. It, uh, makes more sense in context.

ladyillana

Registered
Reaction score
I like them but only if it has a connection with the chapter. I also don't like them to be too long because it does distract from the main story.

RikWriter

Banned
Reaction score
My first book, I opened every chapter with a quote. Not a made up one, an actual quote from real people. A lot of readers commented that they loved the quotes and on the book's Amazon page, a lot of people list the quotes as memorable parts of the book.
I never did it again though, because to be brutally honest, it was EXHAUSTING. Finding the exact quote that matched the mood of the chapter and then making sure I hadn't already used it was taking up hours of research that I could have used for something more productive.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If they're short, and they add something to the story, they can be fun. (Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy comes to mind; the chapter-starting quotes build to something quite interesting by the end of the book. Tad Williams also effectively filled out his near-future world with them in his Otherworld quartet.)

If they're pointless, rambling, and/or spoiler-ridden, they read like an author trying to be Profound and failing... or an author so in love with their story and their words that they couldn't resist tacking in more. (I read one book in particular where the chapter-starting quotes were excerpts from writings by the characters, about themselves - quotes that served no purpose except to tell me that none of the characters would die before they got around to writing said quotes, evidently long after the events of the book. Entirely forgettable, sometimes annoying fluff.)

I've read both kinds. When they work, they work, but when they don't, they really, really don't. As a writer, I'd only attempt adding chapter quotes if I was 100% certain they'd enhance, rather than detract from, the story... and if there was information that simply could not be worked into the text.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A slight variation on this is news soundbites. Some novels will quote from some news source as a way of letting the reader know what's happening off-screen, so to speak. I've never seen it not work, although I guess you could screw it up.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
If they're short, and they add something to the story, they can be fun. (Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy comes to mind; the chapter-starting quotes build to something quite interesting by the end of the book.

That's what I thought of, too. In the Mistborn trilogy, they definitely add something to the telling of the story.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I love epigraphs.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I'll give them a try. They're like books themselves. Sometimes I love them, sometimes I'm bored, sometimes I ask "why god, why?" As long as they're interesting and relevant (or failing that, at least fun) I don't have an issue.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I like them and I'm doing it for my current ms. I made mine up and they're more like little poems. But mine do have a point and do foreshadow and are connected to the story, all the reader needs to be is pay attention. But if my future agent doesn't like them, guess they'll have to go.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I like them, but only if they fit the story directly with your own poem. Not a quote from like another famous author.

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
I like them and use them in my fantasy project. Some are plot-relevant, some will be and some are just for flavour, but I keep them all short.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
How do quotes fit in with POV?

If the book is a first person or 3rd limited POV, should the character be familiar with the quote before it can be considered?

Or can it be anything?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm pretty neutral about them. I'll admit I don't always read them, unless they're really intriguing or highly relevant to the story. But they're not deal breakers either. I suppose at their worse they step outside the story, and this can make it feel more like a history or retelling than something that's happening to the pov characters here and now. But that depends a lot on the tone and style, and of course on the nature of the quotes themselves.

Last edited:

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
The only ones I really enjoyed were in Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series since they usually gave me a good chuckle. Other than that they don't do much for me personally

SamCoulson

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'm neutral on them. Though when done well, they do add something. Often it seems 3-4 of them are really good, and then a number are filler that don't really add much. Like Rik said, to make it work throughout the book the writer needs to spend a lot of effort to really find good, applicable quotations that will tie into the story. (On that note, i'm about halfway through the book Rikk mentioned, and they quotes DO add something nice, but in my experience, that's the exception more than the rule).

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
How do quotes fit in with POV?

If the book is a first person or 3rd limited POV, should the character be familiar with the quote before it can be considered?

Or can it be anything?

This is a big deal to me in my book where the editor is requesting them. Although there are 3 POVs, the main character is seeing all 3 POVs, so I didn't want them to contain anything that he hadn't seen. Now, personally, I'd prefer for them to only exist at the part breaks where they don't interrupt the illusion that we're seeing everything he sees at the time he's seeing it except where that illusion is broken anyway, but she was clearly dissatisfied with that compromise, so now I'm sticking to this familiar-with-the-quote rule.