• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Blaster Books

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin, being a publisher or an editor is a hard and often thankless job. Even people who know what they're doing are likely to fail at it.

Also, writers like David Weber cost more than you can afford. If you're running a scruffy start-up press, the submissions you get are going to be dreadful, because writers are going to submit their work to everybody else before they submit it to you. Slush piles are not full of unrecognized masterpieces. They're full of books and stories that are worse than you can possibly imagine.

You know who's got the best role in publishing? Readers. They have the easiest job, they can toss aside anything they aren't enjoying, and they can cherry-pick every publisher's list for the stuff they like best. And while they do have to hold down a day job, it's almost guaranteed to pay better than working in publishing.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I know the people here seem overly critical and nitpicky, but there's good reason for it. They've seen a ton of new presses start hopefully, then crash and burn in the next year or so.

New markets for writers is always a good thing, if those new markets have what it takes to survive and thrive. But that's not something you can tell. It's shown.

KevinWaldron36

Registered
Reaction score
Kevin, no offense, but since you're dyslexic (as am I) HOW can you possibly edit someone's work, not to mention your own? I know I can't; without my wife's excellent skills (not to mention her beautiful eyes!) I could never have been commercially published.

Even my posts here I have to take my time with, as due to my brain injury as a child I can only type with my thumbs and forefingers.

Have you really thought this through?
I Have good friend that help me on Goodreads. I'm go here http://pred-ed.com/peesla.ht . I get this for my favorite blogs Writer Beware.

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
I personally believe any advice has and will continue to fall upon deaf ears, because I get the impression Kevin is not reading others' posts carefully. I suspect he came here thinking "People are talking about me! That's great! I can market myself here!"

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I personally believe any advice has and will continue to fall upon deaf ears, because I get the impression Kevin is not reading others' posts carefully.

Or at all.

I only hope there's no one so desperate or uninformed that they would actually consider sending him a manuscript. And if there is such a person... well, they'd have fallen prey to something sooner or later.

KevinWaldron36

Registered
Reaction score
Kevin, being a publisher or an editor is a hard and often thankless job. Even people who know what they're doing are likely to fail at it.

Also, writers like David Weber cost more than you can afford. If you're running a scruffy start-up press, the submissions you get are going to be dreadful, because writers are going to submit their work to everybody else before they submit it to you. Slush piles are not full of unrecognized masterpieces. They're full of books and stories that are worse than you can possibly imagine.

You know who's got the best role in publishing? Readers. They have the easiest job, they can toss aside anything they aren't enjoying, and they can cherry-pick every publisher's list for the stuff they like best. And while they do have to hold down a day job, it's almost guaranteed to pay better than working in publishing.

Yes i know. But I have read some wonderful stories too. I'm okay with all criticism. I have app read world documents to me. If read it smoother one or two mistake. I love science fiction way do I'm doing this not for money. I have now a lot of respect for people that read slush piles. Wow.

KevinWaldron36

Registered
Reaction score
I personally believe any advice has and will continue to fall upon deaf ears, because I get the impression Kevin is not reading others' posts carefully. I suspect he came here thinking "People are talking about me! That's great! I can market myself here!"

No I think wow these people are really mean to me I'm go to think for criticism. then run away this forums now just say.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Oh, Kevin, you are about to get a crash course in slush piles. Even when I was a summer intern reading for an agency 20+ years ago, only three mms passed muster out of several hundred. And those were hard copies mailed in over a three-month period. The rest were hot messes. It's worse now, with emailed submissions. (I know one agent who gets over 10,000 subs a year.)

I'm glad you are solvent, and that you have help. Pace yourself. Learn as much as you can. It's probably better to be extremely selective than to try to publish too much too quickly (see the Musa thread for reasons why). This is going to have to be a labor of love for a few years.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
No I think wow these people are really mean to me I'm go to think for criticism. then run away this forums now just say.

If you think this is meanness, you're beyond unprepared for publishing.

It takes more than apps and people you've met on Goodreads to successfully publish books.

KevinWaldron36

Registered
Reaction score
If you think this is meanness, you're beyond unprepared for publishing.

It takes more than apps and people you've met on Goodreads to successfully publish books.
Yes I know. But have to start for some where. I have do a better job doing of spelling and grammar on the blog.

KevinWaldron36

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Kevin, you are about to get a crash course in slush piles. Even when I was a summer intern reading for an agency 20+ years ago, only three mms passed muster out of several hundred. And those were hard copies mailed in over a three-month period. The rest were hot messes. It's worse now, with emailed submissions. (I know one agent who gets over 10,000 subs a year.)

I'm glad you are solvent, and that you have help. Pace yourself. Learn as much as you can. It's probably better to be extremely selective than to try to publish too much too quickly (see the Musa thread for reasons why). This is going to have to be a labor of love for a few years.

Wow. But have been reading the bean books slush pile to get ready for it.

Ludens

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I know. But have to start for some where.

You'd better start by learning the business from someone with experience. If you plan to learn as you go along, it will be your authors that suffer the consequences of your beginners' mistakes. It's not fair to use them as guinea pigs.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Kevin, it's really dangerous to 'learn' publishing on other people's books. The Baen slushpile offers only a small part of what you need to learn, to begin publishing in this genre.

If I won 90 million dollars in the Powerball day after tomorrow and was daft enough to even think of starting my own publishing company, here is what I would do:

1. Research the hell out of this business, far more than I have as a writer. I'd look at successful newcomers to see how they approached their goals and dealt with setbacks. I'd look at troubled publishers here on AW's forums, to see common problems (undercapitalized, too big of a catalog, too many genres, poor money and time management, not enough effective promotion, low sales, etc.) I'd take a month off and read *every single page* of Teresa Nielsen Hayden's 'Making Light' blog and *all* of Writer Beware. I'd get a pro subscription to Publisher's Marketplace and read back issues for as many years as I could.

2. I'm forty-eight, and I've been reading at a very high skill level since I was nine or ten. That's thousands of books, articles, science journals, and online content both in fiction and non-fiction. I trained in technical writing and marketing in college. I have written winning grants proposals and successful sales/ad copy.

Even so, I skated through high-school English, and I could not formally break down a sentence now if you paid me. I'm barely qualified to revise my stuff, let alone edit it. When my first novel sold to Loose Id, I had an abrupt, brutal, and useful education in what editors actually do. I learned a lot. With my editors' help I not only improved that book, but my later writing.

If I started the hypothetical Filigree Press next week, I'd have to hire the best editors I could find. Not rely on friends, casual acquaintances found on Goodreads, or freelancers from Craigslist. *Hire*, as in contracts, pay packages, and business plans. The editors I'd approach would be people who have spent at least ten years already in notable science fiction and fantasy publishing, and they won't come cheap. (For my 45K self-pub fantasy novella, if my agent can't sell it first to a commercial imprint, I'm looking at having it edited for the bargain price of $1400 - $1800. And that's from a sympathetic freelance editor who was once the senior editor at a major SF&F imprint.)

You've made great allowances for your brain's quirks, and I applaud you for it. But right now, you are not qualified to be an editor - and that's the first thing a publisher has to be, as well as a production coordinator and a marketing wizard. If you can't be an editor, you have to hire trustworthy people.

3. Research your production methods. You cannot wave a magic wand and poof! a book appears. CreateSpace and other platforms make digital publishing and Print On Demand really easy. So easy, that most of what gets self-published or published by small, clueless publishers is unedited, unformatted, derivative crap. It's not politically correct to say, but it's true - and I'm one of the cheerleaders for informed self-publishing!

Again, you are probably not qualified to handle production minutiae, so you are going to have to hire people or outsource to companies that know what they're doing. Or spend more time researching the actual business.

4. Sales. This is where most self-publishers and small new pubs go to die. They simply cannot sell enough books to replace their initial capital outlay, much less grow the business. Sometimes they become vanity and subsidy publishers, hoping to get quick cash injections into what essentially becomes a Ponzi scheme. Sometimes they ramp up acquisitions, banking that five sales per book per year is a lot better if they have 700 books in their catalog. That may be enough for them, but their authors are going to get pissed off in a hurry. They will leave. They will bitch about you in public. They may even sue you. Please don't go into this thinking that your authors will be able to promote themselves at all - very few can.

How do you get sales, as a publisher? You get a track record for quality books. You advertise in national and international markets read by the people who influence bookstore purchasing and distribution. You get major awards and reviews in national magazines. You attend major national and international conventions in your genre. You leverage social media, with the understanding that social media is a chancy way to get eyeballs on books.

You probably won't get many sales and much public attention, if you don't pay attention to those big issues. So you are going to need to have your annual living and business funding requirements banked for two to five years out.

Even SF&F publishers who've won the Hugo and Nebula Awards have suffered shakeups, especially in this economy. And they have track records.

5. Experience. I'd probably just kick all that to the curb, and beg some already successful publisher to take me on as a silent partner, so I could learn from them. Once I had my experience in this weird business, I'd go off five or ten years later and create Filigree Press - or pitch it as an imprint for some established publisher.

6. Longevity, infrastructure, and successors. How is your health? How old are you? Do you have plans and qualified people in place to continue the business, if you cannot? Solvent or not, would a long illness crater your firm? These are all questions you need to answer now, not later.

Have you worked in commercial publishing? Do you know anyone who has? It's not an impossible dream, but the obstacles stacked up before you are immense.

We're not trying to scare you or insult you. It's just that we've seen hundreds of publishers implode for various reasons. What you do with your own time and money is your business. Destroying other authors' hard work is not. And that's what can happen when publishers go down the drain.

What can you realistically offer well-informed writers, that other new or established publishers cannot? Hint: friendly atmosphere and genre cheerleading are good perks, but money, distribution, and industry respect are the bottom line. If you can't show at least some good plans for earning profits for skilled authors, they'll go elsewhere. You may find a few gems among the remaining applicants, and maybe you and they will grow wealthy in the process.

But never, ever let wishful thinking be part of your business plan.

Last edited:

KevinWaldron36

Registered
Reaction score
Kevin, it's really dangerous to 'learn' publishing on other people's books. The Baen slushpile offers only a small part of what you need to learn, to begin publishing in this genre.

If I won 90 million dollars in the Powerball day after tomorrow and was daft enough to even think of starting my own publishing company, here is what I would do:

1. Research the hell out of this business, far more than I have as a writer. I'd look at successful newcomers to see how they approached their goals and dealt with setbacks. I'd look at troubled publishers here on AW's forums, to see common problems (undercapitalized, too big of a catalog, too many genres, poor money and time management, not enough effective promotion, low sales, etc.) I'd take a month off and read *every single page* of Teresa Nielsen Hayden's 'Making Light' blog and *all* of Writer Beware. I'd get a pro subscription to Publisher's Marketplace and read back issues for as many years as I could.

2. I'm forty-eight, and I've been reading at a very high skill level since I was nine or ten. That's thousands of books, articles, science journals, and online content both in fiction and non-fiction. I trained in technical writing and marketing in college. I have written winning grants proposals and successful sales/ad copy.

Even so, I skated through high-school English, and I could not formally break down a sentence now if you paid me. I'm barely qualified to revise my stuff, let alone edit it. When my first novel sold to Loose Id, I had an abrupt, brutal, and useful education in what editors actually do. I learned a lot. With my editors' help I not only improved that book, but my later writing.

If I started the hypothetical Filigree Press next week, I'd have to hire the best editors I could find. Not rely on friends, casual acquaintances found on Goodreads, or freelancers from Craigslist. *Hire*, as in contracts, pay packages, and business plans. The editors I'd approach would be people who have spent at least ten years already in notable science fiction and fantasy publishing, and they won't come cheap. (For my 45K self-pub fantasy novella, if my agent can't sell it first to a commercial imprint, I'm looking at having it edited for the bargain price of $1400 - $1800. And that's from a sympathetic freelance editor who was once the senior editor at a major SF&F imprint.)

You've made great allowances for your brain's quirks, and I applaud you for it. But right now, you are not qualified to be an editor - and that's the first thing a publisher has to be, as well as a production coordinator and a marketing wizard. If you can't be an editor, you have to hire trustworthy people.

3. Research your production methods. You cannot wave a magic wand and poof! a book appears. CreateSpace and other platforms make digital publishing and Print On Demand really easy. So easy, that most of what gets self-published or published by small, clueless publishers is unedited, unformatted, derivative crap. It's not politically correct to say, but it's true - and I'm one of the cheerleaders for informed self-publishing!

Again, you are probably not qualified to handle production minutiae, so you are going to have to hire people or outsource to companies that know what they're doing. Or spend more time researching the actual business.

4. Sales. This is where most self-publishers and small new pubs go to die. They simply cannot sell enough books to replace their initial capital outlay, much less grow the business. Sometimes they become vanity and subsidy publishers, hoping to get quick cash injections into what essentially becomes a Ponzi scheme. Sometimes they ramp up acquisitions, banking that five sales per book per year is a lot better if they have 700 books in their catalog. That may be enough for them, but their authors are going to get pissed off in a hurry. They will leave. They will bitch about you in public. They may even sue you. Please don't go into this thinking that your authors will be able to promote themselves at all - very few can.

How do you get sales, as a publisher? You get a track record for quality books. You advertise in national and international markets read by the people who influence bookstore purchasing and distribution. You get major awards and reviews in national magazines. You attend major national and international conventions in your genre. You leverage social media, with the understanding that social media is a chancy way to get eyeballs on books.

You probably won't get many sales and much public attention, if you don't pay attention to those big issues. So you are going to need to have your annual living and business funding requirements banked for two to five years out.

Even SF&F publishers who've won the Hugo and Nebula Awards have suffered shakeups, especially in this economy. And they have track records.

5. Experience. I'd probably just kick all that to the curb, and beg some already successful publisher to take me on as a silent partner, so I could learn from them. Once I had my experience in this weird business, I'd go off five or ten years later and create Filigree Press - or pitch it as an imprint for some established publisher.

6. Longevity, infrastructure, and successors. How is your health? How old are you? Do you have plans and qualified people in place to continue the business, if you cannot? Solvent or not, would a long illness crater your firm? These are all questions you need to answer now, not later.

Have you worked in commercial publishing? Do you know anyone who has? It's not an impossible dream, but the obstacles stacked up before you are immense.

We're not trying to scare you or insult you. It's just that we've seen hundreds of publishers implode for various reasons. What you do with your own time and money is your business. Destroying other authors' hard work is not. And that's what can happen when publishers go down the drain.

What can you realistically offer well-informed writers, that other new or established publishers cannot? Hint: friendly atmosphere and genre cheerleading are good perks, but money, distribution, and industry respect are the bottom line. If you can't show at least some good plans for earning profits for skilled authors, they'll go elsewhere. You may find a few gems among the remaining applicants, and maybe you and they will grow wealthy in the process.

But never, ever let wishful thinking be part of your business plan.

I'm wow a lot good information. I'm only looks to publisher 2 novel right now and webzine 4.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Kevin, here's where I have to be blunt. I don't completely understand you.

I hope my hastily assembled information helped you. But what were you trying to say in your second sentence?

This: I'm only looks to publisher 2 novel right now and webzine 4. I have to guess here. You've only looked at two novels and four webzines so far? Or two publishers and four webzines?

Words are really important in this business.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My guess is Kevin means: "I am only looking to publish two novels and four webzines now." In other words, he plans on starting small.

The fact that we have to guess what he means is a clear indicator that Kevin has no business editing or publishing anyone's work.

KevinWaldron36

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Same here.

Wow I start my own published company. I have read some Awful stories. So if get a lot a rejection email please don't self published your book. I have read a lot of books about self published. So don't self published or start published company. I do love books. So I will can on with my own published company. So please please please please don't start you own published company. It is not fun. Ps I'm looking for a either but I can't play all money go first to Amazon and iBook Barnes & Noble but I use D2D think Author get play how is go for a ebook. But for the webzine the author get play fost then Amazon and iBook Barnes & Noble d2d but I get keep 60% from d2d Amazon using KDP 70% 0f $2.99.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Kevin

No one here is questioning you love books -- we get that and we love that you love books because we do too. That's why we're here

We're questioning whether an author would be well served going to you to get published.

And tbh, I think that you might be better served finding another way to show you love books -- and there are plenty of ways. You could review and help spread the word for good books you love. You could intern somewhere and learn about publishing from the inside. Maybe you're great at design and could help people out.

But if people can't understand you, it seems hard to understand how you would be a good fit to edit/publish my work. Even if that were not the case, even people WITH knowledge of the publishing business and money behind them fold. What have you got that they don't? How are you, with you friend from goodreads, going to succeed where professionals have failed? Why should an author go with you rather than another company? Remember, if your company goes down, my rights to my book may well go with you.

No one here, NO ONE, is questioning your integrity, or your intentions. We are questioning whether this is the right avenue for you to express your love of books, and whether an author would do well to publish via you

It's a matter of using your strengths. I write passably well -- I'm rubbish at marketing or design. etc. So I write and my publisher designs etc. What are your strengths, and how can you use them to help books you love?

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow I start my own published company. I have read some Awful stories. So if get a lot a rejection email please don't self published your book. I have read a lot of books about self published. So don't self published or start published company. I do love books. So I will can on with my own published company. So please please please please don't start you own published company. It is not fun. Ps I'm looking for a either but I can't play all money go first to Amazon and iBook Barnes & Noble but I use D2D think Author get play how is go for a ebook. But for the webzine the author get play fost then Amazon and iBook Barnes & Noble d2d but I get keep 60% from d2d Amazon using KDP 70% 0f $2.99.

Kevin, please understand that we are not saying you are a bad person, or that because you're dyslexic you cannot be involved in publishing. We are saying that Publisher is not an entry level position. People -- including the late Jim Baen-- work at publishing houses, making their way up from slush reader to assistant editor to acquiring editor, for many many years before they have enough experience to put on the Publisher hat.

And it's not all about the money. Were you to offer David Drake or John Ringo twice as much as Baen pays them for their next books, they'd say no. Because you don't have a track record of selling books, and Baen does.

It's terrific that you love books. It's terrific that you love to read. It's terrific that you have favourite authors and love to support them. It's terrific that you have a favourite genre. But the way to support that genre is not through trying to start up a publishing house.

Fandom is always looking for passionate, enthusiastic readers like yourself. Go to cons! Start a blog, and fill it with book reviews and interviews with authors! Use your strengths and passion to make SF bigger, better, and stronger.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Okay, I said I was going to bow out, but I need to say this. Kevin, writing is communication. If you sign a writer and somewhere along the line you feel you need to send them a line-by-line report on issues you have with their piece, could you do it? Not someone else. YOU.

Do this. Have a person you trust read your last post here aloud to you. Then check your heart. I think you'll do the right thing.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not that you'd know from his site, but the first issues of Jouth webzine are now available on both Smashwords and Amazon.