Thoughts on Writing Centers - and Critique forums?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This article has some interesting thoughts on how to set up a successful writing center at a college - and how writing instructors might use them to improve the whole writing process (for the writers and for themselves).

It's prompted me to take a good hard look at how I crit poems here - and whether the critique model can be improved.

Any thoughts on the article, the crit/first-reader process, or the writing process at all?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I like to get and give the broad view and the nitty gritty.

A line edit doesn't make sense for a work that needs major revision because those words you're editing may not last into the next draft. A more polished piece may be strengthened by changing a word here or there. I critique based on the individual work, and I hope to be critiqued based on what the work I've posted needs.

It's all about the purpose for posting. I believe, most of us here are looking to publish the work.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Debbie to a point. Line edits can be redundant for all the reasons she states, but at the same time if reasoning is offered, it can help a poet see a new way forward: consistency in word usage and syntax for example. Full re writes also have value as they can illustrate by example how the same may be said differently or offer insight into how what is there is understood by the reader.

I feel that there is only value in a critique circle when there is mutual respect. Respect from critter to poet, and vice-versa, regardless the skill level of either, or whether there is full agreement from either side on the information provided or its format. Appreciation and honesty follow very closely afterwards.

The one problem that arises is the incestuous nature and how that can drive commonality between works and lead to inherent stylistics; new blood mitigates this, so respect should also equate to welcoming newcomers in a way which doesn't leave them excluded or cause conflict. However, it is still normal for personalities clash, that shouldn't effect the content of critique, the receipt of it nor view of the poem.

I consider it an honour to be allowed to act as one of the first set of eyes on a work, and take that very seriously. I critique openly and with pride and enjoy seeing a work develop, and how that carries over into later pieces... I also learn and grow simply being part of that.

Last edited: