Hounding from the Depths of Perdition

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I've been making ice cream and working. I buggered my hip almost 8 weeks ago and it's been a severe crimp in my style. So, no planting in my flower pots this year so far. And I haven't gone on any road trips, either. I stopped writing for a while and I'm trying to get back in the swing of things. That hasn't gone so well. I feel like I just write gibberish. Ever write and realize that after a bunch of pages you never got to the friggin point? Like everything you just wrote was nothing but the color in the background and not once did you have your characters actually do anything? That's what's been happening to me. There's no "boom" or "hang on, this is gonna be bumpy." Instead, it's la-la-la-la I'm not worried about a plot. Here's a flower. What's your favorite ice cream flavor? I wasn't aware Palahniuk wrote a book about writing. I'd like to check that out. When you say Hannibal, are you referring to the book or the tv show? Because I fell in love with the tv show. It was pure poetry.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes, sorry to hear about the injury. That just adds to the insult of all the changes in life right now I'm sure. Did writing dry up at the injury or earlier generally? But hey, at least you're putting words to paper! I know it's frustrating to not see it go anywhere, but it's words, and they keep the shark swimming. Who knows, you may end up needing all that description of the wallpaper once you figure out what's going on. I spent 5 yeas in school not writing (homework guilt is a thing), but never picked it up after I graduated in 2015, with the exception of one horrifically bad bit of flash fiction. Doodling in the past week is all the writing I'd done until last night: was chatting on the phone with my sister and she was generally complaining about life in a way that sounded like a complaint letter to the management... I've written a complaint letter to a Travel Agency that offers the Human Experience(TM) vacation package with a variety of upgrades and add-ons.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/46210749-consider-this
I think Palahniuk wrote this only because he'd been embezzled by his agent and needed the cash, but it's a good easy read. Much of what he covers is easily found here, but he does expand on some things and give insights into his development process. Plus, he seems like a decent human so I wanted to help him recover from the swindling.

Yes, Hannibal the show. That thing is pure Art. Utterly beautiful in design. I have read all the books and seen all the movies, of course, and this was my second time binging the show.

Favourite ice cream flavour is mint chip. Picked some up just yesterday in fact. Yours?

Last edited:

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My writing issues started in December when I made some changes in my life for a while. Long story there. My brain changed. And then I got hurt. But I was in a lot of pain because of the injury so I had to undo some of the changes. Ahem. So, I'm working on moving forward. Lately the depression monster has been battling me. Today after work I went for a drive because I knew I needed to get out of my apartment. My favorite ice cream flavor...wow, so many for me to choose from! I love toasted almond honey peach. OMG that is so good! And I made a great coffee ice cream. But then again I do a mean cherry cheese cake and an incredible chocolate cherry. And then there's rhubarb ice cream, which is amazing, as is rhubarb custard ice cream. So, hard to choose. Oh, and pineapple coconut ice cream! OMG, that is so good! But I'm gonna hit the writing again tonight and see what I can strangle out.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad your depression lets you out of the apartment! Mine traps me inside, and even when I try to get out, the ADHD makes preparations seem overwhelming. (yes, I know, all I really need is keys, but irrational thoughts are not rational). Being home and unemployed is really not helping; work forces me out of the house daily, and then I can stay out after work. Once I'm home though, getting out again seems to take massive psychological Effort.

Life changes can definitely make changes to brains, and brains are such weird things. Good on you for moving forward. If you've used CBT for managing depression, you might be able to apply some of the techniques to pain management? I use it for anxiety and have found it works to push myself through physical challenges as well.

Toasted almond honey peach sounds amazing! I make dried fruit, nut, and honey on yogurt for breakfast sometimes and now I'm realizing it would be an amazing fro-yo! Cherry chocolate is another favourite of mine. I once made an orange-vanilla creamsicle ice cream that was fabulous. Do you do the pineapple coconut with coconut milk/cream or is the coconut there as a flavour/texture?

My body horror story seems to have fallen to the waysides of my brain. I've been fiddling with the complaint letter for the last few days, trying to make sure there's an actual "story" in there and not just a bunch of narrative... I think this may be too much to ask for a complaint letter. I think it might be time to try putting the body horror into the computer, since working it on paper doesn't seem to be working any more. Do you ever work in hard copy, or are you a typing-only type of writer?

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I would pop in and check on the hounds, it's only been three years or so since I've been on AW. :( I can't find most of the threads I used to go to, but I'm glad I found the hounds. :hooray: I like just plain old chocolate ice cream, though Ted's coffee ice cream sounds like it would be pretty good.

BTW: Happy 4th of July!

Last edited:

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the taste of well seasoned meat! I recognize your name night-flyer. Good to see you again!

Coffee ice cream is the best ice cream for breakfast, I think. What are you up to lately?

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the taste of well seasoned meat! I recognize your name night-flyer. Good to see you again!

Coffee ice cream is the best ice cream for breakfast, I think. What are you up to lately?

Thanks, good to see you, too. :) All the hounds must be off on a hunt. :Shrug: Things have changed since the last time I flew in. Not up to much just working, living, and roasting a few cows along the way. How have you been?

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, good to see you, too. :) All the hounds must be off on a hunt. :Shrug: Things have changed since the last time I flew in. Not up to much just working, living, and roasting a few cows along the way. How have you been?

A bit of the same. Less working though, since I was in the best position of all my team members to take a layoff when covid shrunk the workload. I've been looking for work in the next city over and am moving next month, so starting to turn my work energy into packing energy.

I have some notes on a short with some body horror elements that I'm hoping to get into the computer this week. Not sure why with all this time on my hands getting the things done that I now have time to do is so difficult...

I'm also trying to find the spider that lives in my couch.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd let the spider have the couch...

Good luck with the move and work hunting, not a good time to try and find a job, but I'm sure you'll find something since more places are opening up now. I've worked all the way through the covid, but they have cut my hours. :( Moving is a pain in the butt I hope you have help getting it done.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nite!

*pets Night's tail*

You know, I have some dragon tail lotion that would just go great with your scales and I'd be more than happy to apply it for you...

I've been editing and re-writing parts of my novel. I want it ready to submit by the end of July. I'm sick of not getting things out and not having things in submission. I'm sick of losing my momentum.

Also, today I'm making some dark chocolate-cashew butter sorbetto. It was by a friend's request and I have to say it's super rich. The base is chilling in the fridge right now and in about 30 minutes I'll churn the first batch. I have very high hopes.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Ted! There you are! Now if we could just get the rest of the horror hounds back in here, that would be awesome.

(sits on tail and breathes fire towards Ted)

So glad to hear that you are writing and editing! I know you can get it down and subbing it by the end of July. Discipline, and just working on it a little time each day will git er done. :) Best of luck. :e2hugs:

I never had whatever that is your making, but it sounds really good. :)

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have a YouTube channel that's all about making ice cream. It's called Ice Cream Every Day and the link is in my sig. I hope to have the newest video posted this evening.

I'm glad you're doing okay. The other houndies have all gone their own way. I'm alone as I haunt this room.

Boo!

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, look at the hounds all fired up and tails entwined. :)

I had spumoni gelato while I was in the ferry lineup coming back from job interviews and thought of your chocolate cashew, Ted. How did the sorbetto turn out??

I've missed the deadline for a short story sub that I totally could have made if I'd been paying attention. I actually purpose wrote for the call too. So that one's trunked, but at least my sister enjoyed it enough to ask for a copy for a friend.

In couch spider news: I rearranged the furniture and haven't seen cobwebs on the cushions since... I'm assuming that means it preferred the corner over there...

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I had the same thing happen to me and a deadline a few weeks ago! I was somewhat upset with myself over it, too.

I'm in a rural area so we don't have gelato around here. I wish we did. My sorbetto turned out incredible! It is truly one of the richest things I've ever made. It has a great rich, dark chocolate flavor without being bitter. I'm really in love with this stuff and I'm doing to make it again for my friends soon. In fact, I'm working on the video right now, and I hope to have it uploaded soon. I took a nap this evening because I was just exhausted. This heat is really getting to me.

I took a few food pron pics for social media and by the time I was done my shirt was soaked with sweat. I couldn't believe how much I sweated just doing that.

I hate spiders so good luck dealing with them. Around here, an increase in spider activity usually signals the end of summer. We have a bunch of signs like that. The smell of skunks, foggy nights, just to name a few. Normally we can judge what winter is going to be like by how soon we smell and see those things.

I love a good spumoni....Mmmm

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Soapy needs to get back in here, I misssss her. :(

I think everyone has missed a deadline or two on a story and ended up kicking themselves over it. Especially when you write a story just for that submission.:e2smack:

Ted, I checked out your ice cream channel, job well done, my friend. Who doesn't like ice cream?

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
She hasn't been around in years. Nobody has, really.

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it.

I'm planning on working on my novel some more tonight after dinner.

:( I don't think she's on fb. :(

Good luck with the writing! Though all that ice cream would definitely distract me. :D

*looks under the couch for stashed newbie bones from long ago newbieques*

Last edited:

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think there's a final jug of Greg's special newbiecue sauce someplace behind the bard.

I have the base for some plum ice cream chilling in the fridge right now. Should be good.

I'm trying to get my novel edited and re-written so I can get it submitted soon. My original target was the end of July but that's not going to happen. So, August is the new goal.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Hey, Hounds! Been hunkering down and avoiding 95% of the internet.

I stopped in to recommend 'The Scholar who Walks at Night' on Tubi, if anyone needs a laugh. It's a high-quality Korean TV series. Good acting. Decent writing. Great sets and costumes. BUT. When the vampires chomp someone, the chosen sound effect is 'squish' like you just squeezed a handful of Nickelodeon Slime. Even in the High Drama scenes. :roll: On top of that, when the LI accidentally cuts her finger (of course), and Our Hero tries not to nosh on her, he covers his mouth so all you see is his eyes. And they overact like the best anime eyes or Rudolph Valentino's eyes chewing the scenery.

It's a hoot, and I've only finished one episode.

Love to all the Hounds. I've left cookies and peach crisp on the sideboard along with my new tasty obsession, Café Noir. Yum!

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Peeks his snout in the door, looking around at all the extra cobwebs and dust. Hello? Anybody home? Wanders through the corridors, claws clicking on the bare stone. Carefully meandering past the monster cages, where most are only bones now, having been left to starve to death. Well, that doesn't bode well.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I want you to know I spent HOURS draping those cobwebs just so. And the bones are papier-mache. The monsters are on break up in Maine with Stephen King's monsters. Both sets tested negative and I sewed masks for them out of old Halloween costumes.

It's October. I decorated.

No one appreciates the help. *humph*

Last edited: