Hounding from the Depths of Perdition

Serddar

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of people do. I usually make a serious effort to be professional and get on with it after New Year's.

Hopefully I'll manage to do a lot of writing tomorrow, looking really forward to it, I think today will be more about editing.

Even if you don't feel up to writing, there's things you can do. Get your stories organized, look up and read from companies you want to submit to. Work on your writing space. Work on your author platform. There's a lot more to being a writer than just writing, after all.

That is exactly what I did yesterday. I was supposed to re-write last part of the story, instead I went over the first half again, editing, developing characters a bit further, going over dialog and so on.

Last edited:

Serddar

Registered
Reaction score
Today was better than I thought, finished the story, wrote an ending that I am happy with (will need to be edited and expanded but the structure is there), edited the first part of the story, fixed the dialog where it needed fixing.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I love dialog. I love starting with dialog only and tweaking it. It's funny you should mention dialog because I was just thinking the other day of checking Amazon to see if book I'm searching for is on sale or not.

Step To the Graveyard Easy by Bill Pronzini is one of those books that is a quick read and almost entirely dialog. It's like he's giving a class on what great dialog is supposed to look like. Just incredible.

I'm a fan of Bill Pronzini just out of nostalgia. He edited a few horror anthologies and they were some of the first I read as a kid.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I got some social media posts done so far this year, my demon poodle novel submitted to a review site, and I should have the first draft of my pizza story finished by the end of the night. Not a bad start so far.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
You know, a couple of years ago, I came off a rough patch (I know, a bit surprise, right?) and I hit it hard. It panned out for me, too. I got stuff published and I gained momentum. I lost that momentum last year because I just had too many things happen. But now I feel like I need to hit it hard again and make the effort to get through this.

Shaun, you're hitting it hard, and you're getting momentum. Good luck!

Serddar

Registered
Reaction score
I got some social media posts done so far this year, my demon poodle novel submitted to a review site, and I should have the first draft of my pizza story finished by the end of the night. Not a bad start so far.

I think I came across that pizza themed story few days ago, don't wanna try it myself but it would be fantastic to read once it comes out, different for sure.

Serddar

Registered
Reaction score
Sent out one submission yesterday, just to see what happens, I'll probably need to do more editing in order to putt this story out there.

Serddar

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck on the sub.

A writer I greatly admire said her goal is to get 100 rejections a year. That way, she's sending stuff out. Plus, the rejections don't sting so much.

Thanks mate!

Honestly rejections do not discourage me that much, what I find problematic is a generic rejection you get, it offers no insight, you are completely lost to what you did wrong, that is the reason why we as writers need to get so many rejections before learning how things work.

Serddar

Registered
Reaction score
I have so many inspirations I bookmark, but I don't use them. That needs to change this year.

I have a similar problem, few different ideas waiting to be developed and explored, I just never manage to come back to them.