Hounding from the Depths of Perdition

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I should scrape the dust off this place. Maybe dredge up a bartender and chase away the cobwebmonsters. Anyone got a torch to fend off that thing lurking in the back of the room?

You know, since our month of awesome is coming up and all. Halloween, October, prime horror season is upon us.

How goes, Houndies? Howl at any full moons lately? Sacrifice anything to the darkness?

Get any words on the page?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
HPL's birthday was last week, so I howled the rites. Possibly terrified a few neighbors. :evil

Survived emergency surgery, and after nearly 8 weeks am finally writing again. Guess they don't have my room in hell decorated yet.

That's enough excitement for one summer for me!

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Calla lily - Doctors yuck. Glad you pulled through! World needs more horror writers.

Honestly, Ted, any spell can work if you just try hard enough!

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
So what's on everyone's new read list? I'm about to go on a flight to Seattle, gonna need a new book or two to keep me entertained.

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to begin reading a Jody Picoult book because I haven't read anything mainstream in years. I mean, what do these people even write about? Without monsters and aliens, what is there? The day they go to the store and buy cookies?

Just read My Sister's Keeper a couple weeks ago. It was an emotional ride that left me bawling like a baby by the end.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Just read My Sister's Keeper a couple weeks ago. It was an emotional ride that left me bawling like a baby by the end.

I'd heard about that book. Never saw the movie, though. The one I have is buried so I need to dig it out before I can begin reading it. I don't even remember the title.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, we all know the humans are the biggest monsters, so, maybe they find something - or just a hint of the edge of something.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly.

WHich reminds me, we should start plotting up pumpkins and turnips to keep the spooky things trapped on Halloween. DOn't want our favorite critters skittering.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Don't look at me for recs. When I'm not reading fantasy or uh *looks at thread* horror, yeah, horror, *cough* I'm usually reading smoochie novels aka the awesome world that is romance. Because happily ever after for the win! Though I've read a couple books lately labelled "romance" that were quite skirting the lines to call themselves romance *growls, raises romancelandia pitchfork*

*remembers which thread she's in again*

Anyhoo! On the bright side, I'm on a hiking vacation. And I did NOT catch up on a whole season of The Walking Dead while camping out in the wilderness this time? :roll: Not one of my brightest ideas there. Needless to say, sleep was far and fleeting on THAT particular hiking trip. Because I had also just reread Mira Grant's Feed at that time and was thinking about zombified bear and moose. Derp.

Hey, speaking of zombies, anybody read any new *good* zombie books lately? Calla Lily shares my passion for zombie movies, I believe, but I've about exhausted decent options on those, and it would be nice to sink my teeth into another good book or two again. I always enjoy those. I hate it when people poo-poo "not another zombie" book because dang it there is a market out there and I get tired of reading the not so great basic stuff. Or the heavy on the military background ones. I'm more about scare the pants off of me well and good with a new take, or with a great study on the human condition. Or just one that's written well.

Argh. Am ranting, sorry.

Back to yay, Halloween is coming! I need a spooky plot bunny...where's Shaun to give me another darn plot bunny like glitter bugs??

Winks, who is back on her ledge again

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
tiddly, all I have for zombie books is: I'm waiting for Brian Keene's 3rd book in The Rising series. He says it's a doorstopper and won't be out for awhile.

Have you read his The Rising and City of the Dead? He gets too extreme for me in spots, but his writing zips along and is quite scary.

I haven't read any new horror lately. The whole surgery-recovery thing knocked me for a bit of a loop and I dived into early 20th century mysteries by Heyer and Wentworth. Comfort food for the brain. IOW, no fingers pointing at you for romance.

Plot bunny that hasn't spoken to me yet, so it's yours if you want it: Haunted DNA.

Last edited:

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Calla, I hope you're feeling well and recovering speedily.

Tiddly, Unblemished by Conrad Williams is awesome. Not quite zombie, not quite new, but if you haven't read it, you should.

And kissy-kissy stuff is fine as long as somebody is getting hurt. Somebody has always gotta get hurt or it's not real enough to be horror.

You know, while out camping, wouldn't it be awesome if in the middle of the woods you stumbled upon a van that had been deserted? And, because of a wicked storm rolling in, you didn't have time to pitch your tent so you took shelter is said deserted van?

I'm just here to help, you know.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
One of the reasons I dearly love Halloween so much is because it's the holiday for those of us who are broken. On Halloween, it's ok to be broken, and you don't have to pretend you're not to make other people around you happy.

I think Halloween needs carols. It needs songs children can sing about the joys of bludgeoning people to death and the exhilaration of hiding in a closet while you wait for everybody to fall asleep so you can come out to wreak havoc. Or songs about summoning demons and blood sacrifices. Halloween really needs songs, I think. I wish I could write music.

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
One of the reasons I dearly love Halloween so much is because it's the holiday for those of us who are broken. On Halloween, it's ok to be broken, and you don't have to pretend you're not to make other people around you happy.

I think Halloween needs carols. It needs songs children can sing about the joys of bludgeoning people to death and the exhilaration of hiding in a closet while you wait for everybody to fall asleep so you can come out to wreak havoc. Or songs about summoning demons and blood sacrifices. Halloween really needs songs, I think. I wish I could write music.

Is it okay for your car to be broken on Halloween?

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Is it okay for your car to be broken on Halloween?

I hope not. I hope I can somehow get it fixed. I mean, I can make short trips, but not often and I'm very careful. My life is pathetic.

Hound at the top of the boards! Horror rules!

in this case, sexy vamp horror. :evil

Sexy vamp horror? I haven't read any of that in a while. Not since an Anne Rice novel. Actually, it was a novel based in her vampire world written by another writer. I can't remember who.