Mclesh's Mad Self-Publishing Diary

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Since publishing my first SP book (Let Me Get This Off My Chest) a year ago, I received the rights back on my two lower MG paranormal/humor books which were under contract with a small e-only pub. (Because of delays, first on my end because of surgery, and then on their end, the time span specified in my contract ran. I, erm, politely asked for my rights back, and they were returned. We remain on friendly terms, which is good because they hold the rights to my first two books.) :D

It just seemed like I could do a better job myself (with my creative partner Mr. Steve’s help) offering my books in paperback since the young readers still don’t seem to be on board with e-books.

So that’s my story. I’m veeeery excited, even though it’s a lot of work being your own publishing company. (But you all know that.)

Here’s where I’m at so far and my production schedule:
Proofs ordered for Mr. Katz is a Zombie (HURRAY!)
Send out ARCs to review sites by mid-to-late July
Mr. Steve is currently working on the ebook versions, mostly placing the illustrations and tweaking
Offer eARCs through a Netgalley co-op, and LibraryThing
Upload book info to Goodreads soonish
Offer eARCs on Goodreads through the Making Connections group
Create separate section on my website for the series
Create Twitter account for the series’ characters (not sure how I’ll do this until I do it. The idea is that the MCs will be communicating to each other via tweets. May end in disaster.)
Continue to work on and finish book’s Pinterest page (which is set to secret until it’s ready)
Look for blogger reviewers who specialize in MG books
Create Facebook event a few days before release. (I’ve never done this before because I don’t want my friends to disown me. This will be a first. I’m hoping to keep it fun and light. It’ll be some kind of book release/dance party type of thing.)

Release dates for the Goethalsburg Ghost Squad Series:
Mr. Katz is a Zombie, 10/14/14
Martin Barton Might be a Werewolf, Spring 2015
Ghost Pirates are the Worst Kind of Pirates, Fall 2015

As things progress, I’ll evaluate whether to continue the series to a book 4, or not. Books 2 and 3 are already written. Book 2 needs to be edited; book 3 has a few revisions, then editing, to go.

I’m very excited about this, but I have to admit, lately I’ve been feeling a bit like a dog chasing its tail. :)

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
You have a self-pub thread now!!!!!!! :D :D :D

*SUBSCRIBES*

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!! Hope you have a lot of sales!

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Thank you, Leslie! :Hug2:

I got the proofs from Createspace yesterday, and I have to say, I really love the matte finish. We will be uploading a new version of the book (when I say "we" I mean Mr. Steve) because CS moved things around a bit. Apparently they don't like white space. ;)

He's also learned that when they say the allow for bleeds, what they really mean is that they don't want things to bleed. He's had to do a bit of working around, but I'm very happy with the quality, especially considering how many graphics there are in the book.

Last edited:

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Leslie! :Hug2:

I got the proofs from Createspace yesterday, and I have to say, I really love the matte finish. We will be uploading a new version of the book (when I say "we" I mean Mr. Steve) because CS moved things around a bit. Apparently they don't like white space. ;)

He's also learned that when they say the allow for bleeds, what they really mean is that they don't want things to bleed. He's had to do a bit of working around, but I'm very happy with the quality, especially considering how many graphics there are in the book.

I look forward to them. How hard did you find the formatting the books for create space and epub? Going through editors notes now so within the next few days I'll have to tackle that as well.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I look forward to them. How hard did you find the formatting the books for create space and epub? Going through editors notes now so within the next few days I'll have to tackle that as well.

Ben, that's a big question. I don't want to scare anyone. :D

Steve did all of the layout on LMGTOMC for the print version a year ago. There was a bit of pain involved then--I think he lost a bit of hair--and since it's been a year since he put that book together, he kind of had to go through and relearn how CS does things. (This is a guy who's been a graphic designer, had his own publishing company where he did all the layout for his magazines, as well as working as for Apple and Adobe as a product rep.)

With that as his background, I'd say he's been working pretty steadily the past couple of weeks getting the book's layout and cover to look right. He is a perfectionist, though. The cover looks great to me as it is, and he was not happy with how CS shifted things a bit.

So I guess it goes to what your expectations are a little bit.

He's working on the electronic versions, and that's going pretty well. (Although, I'm disappointed that we can't use the same typeface we're using in the paperback.)

These books are more complex because of the illustrations and little graphics and getting them placed right within the text.

If you're not experienced with layout, I'd see about getting help. I would not want to do this myself. :D

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
I second the love for your titles! I've been wishy-washy about going the paperback route, so it's always nice to see another canary ahead of me in the mineshaft :) Best of luck to you!

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I second the love for your titles! I've been wishy-washy about going the paperback route, so it's always nice to see another canary ahead of me in the mineshaft :) Best of luck to you!

grayworld, I'm glad you approve! :D

I've read mixed reviews about offering paperbacks. For my lower middle grade audience, it seems pretty essential, which is why we're putting so much effort that way. (And when I say "we," erm, well... poor Steve.) :tongue

I did learn with my nonfiction, though, that having a paperback does open doors. It can help with reviewers who only take physical copies, as well as giving the buyer the option.

So we'll see. :D

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Looking forward to following your journey, Mclesh!